zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
This thread is for written works (short fiction, novels, etc.) we loved that were published in 2017, with an eye both towards recommending works to fellow readers and to throw titles in the Community Consideration Hat for next year's awards season. This is NOT a self-promo spot, so recommendations should not come from those works' authors. Mod has x-ray vision and can see right through your clever self-promo-ing disguise.
shark.gif

(Many thanks to MonsterTamer for the reminder.)

Last edited:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So far this year, I've only read one book published in 2017, and that was The Empire of the Dead by Phil Tucker. It was a lot of fun. I didn't like it quite as much as I've liked his Chronicles of the Black Gate series, but that's a hard standard to meet for me as a reader.

DongerNeedFood

Registered
Reaction score
2017 books so far.

A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab and its follow-up a Conjuring of light. Very enjoyable series.

Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel.

Currently Reading New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson.

I have Thrawn by Timothy Zahn waiting to be read

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread - I love it and get so many good, recent recommendations from it.

I just finished City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett. This is the third in the series, which includes City of Stairs and City of Blades, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. While these are stand alone novels, I think your experience would be crippled by not reading the other two first.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The Black Elfstone by Terry Brooks. The Fall of Shannara #1 (of 4)

I believe this was the 29th Shannara book I've read. This Quadrilogy is off to a good start. Since the series is titled "fall," I'm wondering if the author is going to burn the Four Lands to ash, perhaps in another apocalypse-type ending that created it. Does he have it in him? I can't imagine writing a series like this and destroying it in the end. I guess we'll find out.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter by Theodora Goss

This is an incredibly clever book. The author combines the characters of other stories where female monsters were created - Justine Frankenstein, the Cat Woman - Catherine Moreau, created by Dr. Moreau on the island, Beatrice Rappaccini - Nathanial Hawthorne's short story, and the daughters of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Also, featured prominently are Sherlock Holmes and Watson.

The stories of each of these female "monsters" is told, and then woven together.

I found it a bit slow at times, but the cohesiveness of the novel was well worth those spots.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The Witchwood Crown (first of The Last King of Osten Ard trilogy) by Tad Williams.

If you loved Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, this will not disappoint.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The Witchwood Crown (first of The Last King of Osten Ard trilogy) by Tad Williams.

If you loved Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, this will not disappoint.

How does it compare to The Heart of What was Lost? (I found it a bit of a letdown after the hype, so I've been a bit leery of the new trilogy, even though I loved the original trilogy.)

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
How does it compare to The Heart of What was Lost? (I found it a bit of a letdown after the hype, so I've been a bit leery of the new trilogy, even though I loved the original trilogy.)

I didn't read that one. It's been on my list for some time, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
George Saunders' Lincoln In The Bardo. Part fantasy, part historical fiction, part philosophical musing (and written in a format that can be confusing initially), it's the best book I've read this year.

Last edited:

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth #3) by N. K. Jemisin

I loved the first two in this series, and was just as impressed by this final installment. Essun's Stone Eater, Hoa, has a large POV representation in this book, which I greatly enjoyed.

Singcali

Registered
Reaction score
Loved The Heart of what was lost. by Tad Williams. Can't wait for the next one.

Caroline J. Thibeaux

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
It's been a really good year for fiction for me so far :)

The Ninth Rain - Jen Williams
Blackwing - Ed McDonald
Kings of the Wyld - Nicholas Eames
City of Miracles - Robert Jackson Bennett

All superb.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I finally read the ominously named Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb. I'd put off starting it after it came out, because it's what I knew would have to be the end of a saga I started reading 20 years ago and have read and reread during that time. I won't drop spoilers about it, in case anyone else wants to read it but hasn't gotten to it yet.

Robin Hobb is an interesting enigma--a popular and critically well regarded fantasy writer who has never (to my knowledge) gotten a Hugo or Nebula award. I can't recall her ever being nominated for one. It might be because she writes fat epics that aren't complete in one volume (though individual books from series can and have won hugos). She's written some standalones by Meghan Lindholm (is that her real name or another pen name) in what I'd describe as a more "literary" style, but Meghan Lindholm seemed to fly under peoples' radar even more than she did as Robin Hobb.

Maybe Hobb has a shot at a Hugo now that they have a "series" category. I think her 22 year Fitz/Fool epic deserves one.

I also enjoyed the last book in Marie Brennan's Lady Trent series, which came out this year.

And April Daniels's Dreadnought was really fun too. I don't generally dig superhero stuff, but I enjoyed the story and character immensely.

I always feel like an imposter in these threads, as my tastes in SFF aren't as literary as everyone else's :p

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I did an ecstatic write-up of The Unholy Consult, think it's my pick. My favorite book involving cannibalism and laser swords all year!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I did an ecstatic write-up of The Unholy Consult, think it's my pick. My favorite book involving cannibalism and laser swords all year!

Now that sounds interesting!

The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth #3) by N. K. Jemisin

I loved the first two in this series, and was just as impressed by this final installment. Essun's Stone Eater, Hoa, has a large POV representation in this book, which I greatly enjoyed.

I'm going to try that series again. I couldn't get past it being in second-person pov the first time around, but everyone says it's so good.

Last edited:

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to try that series again. I couldn't get past it being in second-person pov the first time around, but everyone says it's so good.

I really struggled at first with it. It's a lot to get the hang of the POV, tense, person, and time frame changes. I've never read anything like it.

I just finished Tower of Dawn by Sarah Maas, 6th in the The Throne of Glass series. This novel fleshes out the events surrounding Chaol and Nesryn, and introduces (or re-introduces in detail) a third POV character. I can't imagine how Maas is going to close this story in one more book. I enjoyed this one a lot more than I thought I would - I've never been a fan of Chaol.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I really struggled at first with it. It's a lot to get the hang of the POV, tense, person, and time frame changes. I've never read anything like it..

Yeah, I sometimes think there's something wrong with me, as in being not too bright or imaginative. I tend to prefer stories with more linear narratives and more straightforward storytelling styles where it's easy (for me, at least) to get inside the pov character's head, and I tend to prefer world building where it's a bit easier for me to relate to the world. Definitely not what most SFF readers seem to be looking for these days.

FortrixEnigma

Registered
Reaction score
I finally read the ominously named Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb. I'd put off starting it after it came out, because it's what I knew would have to be the end of a saga I started reading 20 years ago and have read and reread during that time. I won't drop spoilers about it, in case anyone else wants to read it but hasn't gotten to it yet.

Loved this as well. I'm hopeful that it's not the end of Hobb's work in the world. Every time she finished one of the trilogies, I figured she was finished, and I was always pleasantly surprised when there were more books published. Maybe this will hold true again :D

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden

I can't recommend this novel enough. It's a beautiful Russian fairy tale, and the writing is stunning.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The Wizards of Once by Cressida Cowell.

A story for children, but very well done. I wanted to recommend it if anyone is looking for a tale to read with a child.

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seven Surrenders by Ada Palmer.
- out of this world futuristic fantasy, and good finale to her debut.

valleycs

Registered
Reaction score
Caraval by Stephanie Garber

A Conjuring of Light by V. E. Schwab