Works We Loved, 2017 Edition

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
I just went through my Amazon and Goodreads reviews because I was stumped as to what to nominate. For 2015 it would be Uprooted by Naomi Novik. For 2016 Jane Yellowrock's Blood of the Earth was an unexpected surprise (not the sequel), but so far this year I haven't read anything that knocked me for a (good) loop and according to my Goodreads count I'm 182 books in. I am going to check out a few of the books recommended here. The Bear and the Nightingale by Arden maybe. Thank you!

Last edited:

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine, 3rd in The Great Library series.

I think there will be 4 books in this series when it's done. This book is the strongest of the three in my opinion.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden

I can't recommend this novel enough. It's a beautiful Russian fairy tale, and the writing is stunning.

The second in The Winternight Trilogy was just published, The Girl in the Tower. I enjoyed it as much as the first, and in some regards more.

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden

I can't recommend this novel enough. It's a beautiful Russian fairy tale, and the writing is stunning.

Ooooh, I've been eyeing that one. Good to know.

Let's see...2017...I honestly loved Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo. It's the follow-up to Six of Crows and is absolutely bloody brilliant. I would also recommend her collection of Grisha-verse fairy tales, Language of Thorns. Stunning. In prose and in presentation.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
As per usual, I didn't read many books that were actually published this year, but out of the ones I did read, Geekerella by Ashley Poston was utterly adorable and made my geeky heart sing. Beren and Luthien by J.R.R. Tolkien was also very interesting, informative, and enjoyable.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I really enjoyed Age of Assassins by RJ Barker. I expected it to be good fun, but it was far better than that. It's sophisticated and imaginative while still being a blast of good adventure and likeable (albeit murderous) characters.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I really enjoyed Age of Assassins by RJ Barker.

An author I have been closely watching & interested in getting to know better. Would you suggest it to a reader who generally enjoys this style of fantasy but is slightly allergic to assassin MCs?

Last edited:

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty

This is an epic fantasy set in the Middle East. I've read plenty of books where the religious system is hung on the bones of Catholicism, but never one like this using Islam. It was well written and beautiful. If you like political intrigue, this is a good novel for you.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score

This is an epic fantasy set in the Middle East. I've read plenty of books where the religious system is hung on the bones of Catholicism, but never one like this using Islam. It was well written and beautiful. If you like political intrigue, this is a good novel for you.

Been eyeing this one, I rather enjoy fantasy religion when it's not painfully mismanaged.

2017's not over, and I am tearing through Persepolis Rising. Just wow. As much as I love the series, I've been starting to feel it's getting long in the tooth. But much like James Holden's coffee maker, the Expanse will never, ever let you down.

avsong

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I also really loved this one, and The Bear and the Nightingale. Haven't gotten a chance to read the next one yet, but will soon! The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin is also now one of my top SFF series. Highly recommended, despite the 2nd person POV.

Some books I loved:

Within the Sanctuary of Wings by Marie Brennan, which is Book #5 and the last installment of the Memoirs of Lady Trent, which I highly recommend if you like historical fantasy and dragons.

Red Sister by Mark Lawrence. Bad-ass nuns, what more can I say...

Borne by Jeff Vandermeer. Very strange, but I loved it.

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor for those YA fans. This book is about a forgotten city and the librarian who is trying to find it.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I also really loved this one, and The Bear and the Nightingale. Haven't gotten a chance to read the next one yet, but will soon! The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin is also now one of my top SFF series. Highly recommended, despite the 2nd person POV.

Some books I loved:

Within the Sanctuary of Wings by Marie Brennan, which is Book #5 and the last installment of the Memoirs of Lady Trent, which I highly recommend if you like historical fantasy and dragons.

Red Sister by Mark Lawrence. Bad-ass nuns, what more can I say...

Borne by Jeff Vandermeer. Very strange, but I loved it.

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor for those YA fans. This book is about a forgotten city and the librarian who is trying to find it.

We are destined to be good friends! :) Red Sister is next on my list and I cannot wait!

smorrigan

Registered
Reaction score
I finally read the ominously named Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb. I'd put off starting it after it came out, because it's what I knew would have to be the end of a saga I started reading 20 years ago and have read and reread during that time. I won't drop spoilers about it, in case anyone else wants to read it but hasn't gotten to it yet.

Hobb is wonderful, the Fitz/Fool series is one I find myself recommending to friends who are new to the Fantasy genre. I've been putting off reading the last instalment for the same reason... that and i'm not sure my heart can take the tragedy that is Fitz haha

smorrigan

Registered
Reaction score
Let's see...2017...I honestly loved Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo. It's the follow-up to Six of Crows and is absolutely bloody brilliant. I would also recommend her collection of Grisha-verse fairy tales, Language of Thorns. Stunning. In prose and in presentation.

So glad to see Bardugo make someone's list! It's rare that a character challenges Lock Lamora for the top spot in my rouges gallery but with her duology Bardugo created a whole gang that I just couldn't get enough of!

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
So glad to see Bardugo make someone's list! It's rare that a character challenges Lock Lamora for the top spot in my rouges gallery but with her duology Bardugo created a whole gang that I just couldn't get enough of!

Oh my gooooosh I love Bardugo's work!! I mean, I love her in general. She does craft stories on instagram quite often and she's insanely smart, but I totally agree that the six of crows books stole my heart when it came to lovable rogue. I caught the heist bug from those books, too, and I never had an interest in heist narratives until I read SOC.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
An author I have been closely watching & interested in getting to know better. Would you suggest it to a reader who generally enjoys this style of fantasy but is slightly allergic to assassin MCs?

Yes, absolutely. The MCs in Age of Assassins are actually hired to *prevent* a murder rather than assassinate anyone - it's got a sort of Name of the Rose vibe going on.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
My two favourites of the year were Blackwing by Ed McDonald, and The Court of Broken Knives by Anna Smith Spark. Both debut authors, very different to each other but both excellent.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
+1 for Red Sister by Mark Lawrence.

I'm in mourning now that I finished this. I'm torn between recommending it or telling you to wait until the series is published in whole before starting. I wish I had done that.