Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: From pantser to plotter? Or vice versa?

In the past I've gone back and forth. The problem with pantsing is that I never finish the story. The problem with plotting is that the story is never as good as when I pants.

I guess I'll just stick with pantsing, find a concept I enjoy/actually know about and use Dramatica to chainsaw through it.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin RWrites's Avatar
    I plan out my characters, using a tiny minimal sheet and using lots of detail. Then I do an extanded summary and brief(very brief) plot outline. My world is describe in paragraphs and not questions. I don't hate plotting/planning, but I hate answering questions. If you like to panster but need to plot, try writing everything out but not asking questions about it if you don't already! I also hate plotting becausr the story feel stale and that I'm just coloring the lines, not drawing them.

practical experience, FTW
    I've been a pantser, but I think I need to reform. Somewhat. All I've had in the four books I've written is a character in a situation. But I've come to believe that I need more to start out with. Not sure how much more, but more. In another thread it was said that a synopsis is a good way to 'outline' a story. I may try that. Just to have signposts, or what have you.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Paulsvault's Avatar
    I guess if I'm using the term right, I'm a pantser. For me, having picked writing back up after putting it aside for so long (far too long), it has helped me stay motivated to just write, write, write. If I stop and plan I will lose focus. I know the two 'novels' I have written will never buy me a private island in the Bahama's so I look at this as writing practice and nothing more. In my last book there was a time or two where I wrote a portion of a chapter, or a scene, and looked at my MC and said, I can't believe you just did that... or looked at the antagonist and said, how is she supposed to defeat you after you did that?

I suppose after I become more comfortable and confident (if ever) in my work, I can plan and plot more seriously, but for now it's like watching a story flow from my fingertips and onto the screen for me to read (if that makes any damn sense at all )

From the Depths he comes wolfking's Avatar
    I started as a pantser, then changed to plotter. for my current WIP I wrote a beginning, middle and end for each chapter. It has been the best method so far. It has allowed me to break the story down and I basically use each chapter summary as the writing prompt as if I were writing a short story. I'll say that this is the method I'll use in the future as well.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Scout's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfking View Post
    . for my current WIP I wrote a beginning, middle and end for each chapter. It has been the best method so far. It has allowed me to break the story down and I basically use each chapter summary as the writing prompt as if I were writing a short story. I'll say that this is the method I'll use in the future as well.
    now this sounds helpful. Can you elaborate?

From the Depths he comes wolfking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    now this sounds helpful. Can you elaborate?
    Sure. After I knew the main points of my story, I started to outline, which was basically a few sentences. I did that in daydream mode until I had each chapter with at least a few sentences.

I went back and rewrote the outline with more detail, like a skeleton draft. Each chapter has: Pov the chapter is told in, the summary, and then key points. I'll also note secondary characters or other important sidebar things to consider from one chapter to the next.

The summary has a beginning, middle and end written out, which is only a few sentences each, but it covers the chapter as a whole. So I know when I need to come into the scene, and when to leave. This has been a major help to prevent too short or too long chapters. I wanted each chapter focused.

After thaf come the key points. These are the hot topics of the chapter that MUST be mentioned and are the theme of the chapter itself.

Once all that is together, it is a sharp outline from start to finish. So I'll take the character, review the summary and key points, and use that as the prompt for the chapter, which I treat as an individual short story. Thinking on it, a book is a collection of short stories/chapters. So treating each chapter as such when writing helps me to ensure that my chapters are rounded and focused.

For me, my chapters tend to range from 2,000 to 2,500 words, which is a great shirt story length. I spent the last couple of years writing shorts around this range. I really needed help with endings, so being,able to crank out multiple stories from start to finish was super helpful. When I came back to writing my novel I realized I could treat each chapter as a short story, since they essentially are.

So I came up with this outline/prompt thing to see how it went. I am roughly 10% into my first novel working this way, but it is by far my favorite method.

Hope that answered some questions!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I’m currently trying outlining. I have written stories with a simple scene list outline or without one, but haven’t finished those projects, or in one case I managed to write the MC out of the story (my interest shifted to side character). So the plan is to try a more full-fledged outline and see what happens.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123