• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Which jobs are good for writers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
Is a cochlear implant a possibility for you? It would broaden your employment options.

In the USA I have to pay 42k for that, the insurance companies here do not cover it (in contrast with UK and Canada). There's something better coming in the distant future (which probably will cost me more), it's called: hearing cells regeneration (still on trial at Columbia and John Hopkins universities).

Anyway, I am thinking lately that maybe I can do both working hard and writing. I just have to get rid of my MA thesis, since writing a thesis sometimes might be more difficult than writing a novel or a play. In the first case you need to read a lot, write, get feedback from your adviser, delete and rewrite; in the second case you write and delete a lot, but you don't need too much time for doing supervised research.

Let's see how my writing will go, after I finish my MA program. Maybe some people here are right in saying that you can do both, work and write simultaneously. If things will move slowly again (as it is happening with my MA thesis on Kant which is taking almost a year), then I will seriously search another job, with the hope of being more productive in a language/country that gives no money to writers.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
In the USA I have to pay 42k for that, the insurance companies here do not cover it (in contrast with UK and Canada).

I don't know which insurance plan your government job provides, but I do know that most health insurance companies (and Medicare and Medicaid) cover cochlear implants now. If you haven't checked specifically and you have some interest in going that route, you might want to look into it again.

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know which insurance plan your government job provides, but I do know that most health insurance companies (and Medicare and Medicaid) cover cochlear implants now. If you haven't checked specifically and you have some interest in going that route, you might want to look into it again.

You seem to be right. I searched that option 9 years ago. Now things have changed. My audiologist should have a saying too (if I should go for cochlear implant). Anyway, thank you!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochlear_implant

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Since you are bilingual and a writer, working as a (literary) translator might be an option. Approach publishing houses in your native country (as a translator, you generally translate into your mother tongue). It's hard to get a foot in the door as a literary translator; there is a lot more work out there translating documents, website content, and advertising. But in my experience it is entirely possible to cobble together a living combining literary translations, writing, and assorted other translation work.

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.