red poppies in a field

Remember

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Advice derail

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,473

    Advice derail

    Narrative voice may be an element of effective telling. Amis and Austen both have strong narrative voices, so even when they're telling, they're engaging.

    But possibly we're diverting into another vague discussion of the sort the OP seemed to want to avoid? If his thesis was that telling is always bad (if that was his thesis--I don't want to put words in his mouth) then possibly examples of effective telling aren't what he was hoping to get from this thread?

    And we're all still probably working on different understandings of what "show" vs "tell" really means...

  2. #2
    MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter AW Moderator Ari Meermans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Darkness to Light
    Posts
    9,961
    Nah, that's okay. When I agreed to take the room, I told you all I want you to have the conversations you want and need to have. If I think a topic will stimulate conversation—agree or disagree—and it does, then great. If it's not what you want, it'll sink. All I really ask is that you explore and learn together . . . respectfully. (She said with a big ol' grin on her face.)
    Resources for Promoting on AbsoluteWrite:


  3. #3
    Herder of Hamsters AW Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    On the Server
    Posts
    12,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcha View Post
    I disagree not only with the OP's understanding of "show" vs "tell" but also with the idea that "A novel is all about perception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla Nahar View Post
    To the OP question --
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcha View Post
    But possibly we're diverting into another vague discussion of the sort the OP seemed to want to avoid? If his thesis was that telling is always bad (if that was his thesis--I don't want to put words in his mouth) then possibly examples of effective telling aren't what he was hoping to get from this thread?
    I'm a little bit baffled by a thing I'm seeing here, and yes, there are some socio-cultural implications.

    The OP or Original Poster for this thread, as clearly evidenced by this post is Ari Meermans; Ari goes by she/her.

    Ari is also the mod for this sub-forum, and has been for some time.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,473
    Quote Originally Posted by AW Admin View Post
    I'm a little bit baffled by a thing I'm seeing here, and yes, there are some socio-cultural implications.

    The OP or Original Poster for this thread, as clearly evidenced by this post is Ari Meermans; Ari goes by she/her.

    Ari is also the mod for this sub-forum, and has been for some time.
    Sorry, I've only ever known male "Ari"s. I'm not sure what you mean by the socio-cultural implications... honestly, if you were suggesting I was deliberately misgendering her... well. That's about as far from "assume good intentions" as I can imagine.

    And I didn't know she was the mod of the sub-forum, although I'm not sure why that's relevant, unless you feel that my posts were disrespectful... in which case I assume it would be an issue just because she's a fellow writer, not because she's a mod... although I don't think my posts were disrespectful, so...

    I'm not aware of an insult related to the term "OP". Is there something wrong with that short form?

    I'm baffled.

    Ari, apologies for the wrong pronoun. It was inadvertent - as far as I'm concerned, the only socio-cultural implications are that I live somewhere that Ari is a male name so I made an assumption.
    Last edited by Captcha; 05-07-2017 at 10:55 PM.

  5. #5
    Herder of Hamsters AW Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    On the Server
    Posts
    12,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcha View Post
    Sorry, I've only ever known male "Ari"s. I'm not sure what you mean by the so
    Your posting history and your responses to Mods in general long ago removed any potential to assume good intentions on your behalf.


    And that's the last snotty reply you'll ever make.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search