Photography book publishing advice?

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of putting together a book with photos and stories from my time in China where I've been living for the past 6 years. I don't know what sort of interest this kind of thing would generate and I'm wondering if I should even try to get it published or if I should just go with an on demand publisher or perhaps try to sell it as an ebook.

I've never published anything before and I'm not sure what the market value would be for this kind of thing. Anybody have any experience with this kind of thing?

shootseven

Registered
Reaction score
I'd start my querying agents just to get a feel for how big the market might be. If there not even asking for samples and rejecting the idea on concept alone, then it might not be suited for a large market. In that case, I'd look for publishers who specialize in that sort of book. Try looking through listings on http://www.writersmarket.com/

With no experience, and unless you have some huge online following for something else; I would definitely try to find an appropriate publisher. They could be a huge help getting reviews, they should know the reviewers to target, and they should be able to successfully crack the library market with a book like you describe.

Last edited:

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of insight I was looking for!