Jumping into a very large pond (and trying not to drown).

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Less than a month to go. Anxiously waiting on my cover art and praying that it doesn't have to go through a ton of revisions before I like it. My first draft of the cover art is scheduled for June 12th. That gives about two and a half weeks between that and my publication date. That's cutting it a bit closer than I'd like, but I had to push up my publication date so I could enter it into the Self-Published Fantasy Blog Off.

In the meantime, I'm editing the second book in World in Chains and writing the third book of my Sunweaver trilogy. I'm hoping to get the second book of World in Chains and the first book of Sunweaver out before the end of the year. I'd like to get even more out, but I don't want to push myself too hard.

Interested to see the cover once its finalized.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Got my cover art proposal today. It was a day late, but they kept me updated on that, so that's okay with me.

I loved it.

Daffyjkl

Registered
Reaction score
Are you going to share it with us? We can give feedback. I must admit I was pleased with my cover design when I saw the draft, but perhaps it was just seeing my name on the cover.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
rwm: Best of luck with your first published book, and with your self-publishing career. Sounds like you're off to a good, well-planned start.

NDG

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Are you going to share it with us? We can give feedback. I must admit I was pleased with my cover design when I saw the draft, but perhaps it was just seeing my name on the cover.

I'll probably have it as my avatar once I actually own it. I haven't paid for it yet, so I feel like I'd be in tricky territory with showing it.

I don't think it was just seeing my name on the cover. I thought it looked like the kind of cover that would make me pick up an epic fantasy book, or at least read the blurb to see if I'd like it. It actually wasn't what I was expecting for the cover, so it was a bit surprising at first, but then I decided I really liked it.

In other news, I got my Createspace paperback file to the point that the automated check didn't find any formatting errors. I'm a bit worried about font size, but I've heard that it's okay to go down to 11. It shaves quite a few pages off the book, which means I can offer it at a more affordable price. I anticipate most of my sales being e-books, but I want to have a print book out there for those who prefer that format, and I don't want the cost to be prohibitive.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I like it. Do you plan for it all to use the same color scheme, or for it to vary each book?

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it looked like the kind of cover that would make me pick up an epic fantasy book, or at least read the blurb to see if I'd like it.

And meant to add, YES. I think nearly every book I bought between ages of 15 and 18 was because of the covers--and certainly all the new authors I tried was initially because they had a great cover. I distinctly remember Larry Elmore's covers for Dragonlance catching my eye (back in 1987).

Can you post the back cover, too?

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I like it. Do you plan for it all to use the same color scheme, or for it to vary each book?

It's probably going to vary a bit. The second book might be similar, but the third and fourth will be different. The third is going to be tricky for them to design because I introduce some science fiction elements.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
And meant to add, YES. I think nearly every book I bought between ages of 15 and 18 was because of the covers--and certainly all the new authors I tried was initially because they had a great cover. I distinctly remember Larry Elmore's covers for Dragonlance catching my eye (back in 1987).

Can you post the back cover, too?

Had to wrangle with it a bit. Had it in a PDF format for Createspace and had to get it into a photo format.

You can find both images here. They were too large for AW unfortunately. Sorry about that.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ryanwmuellerauthor/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1180134165424837

There we go. I have it now. That white rectangle is where there will be a barcode.

Last edited:

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I really like that gold chain motif.

That was actually my idea. Not that exact motif, but something with chains to help with series branding. The designer did the rest of the work.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cover reveal time! (It's in my avatar.) And now I've added it to the post.

I'm really happy with it. I worked with the talented designers at Deranged Doctor Design.

35072928.jpg

Beautiful cover, Ryan! I'm so excited for you. :greenie

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Ripper best cover I've seen for a while.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, rwm, but you're going to have to resize that big image and check the size of the smaller one, too. There's a maximum image size of 400 x 400 pixels on AW because larger images cause loading problems for some of our members. There's an FAQ about this in the FAQ room if you need more information.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful cover, Ryan! I especially like the chain detail. It seems like it could serve a series of covers well.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, rwm, but you're going to have to resize that big image and check the size of the smaller one, too. There's a maximum image size of 400 x 400 pixels on AW because larger images cause loading problems for some of our members. There's an FAQ about this in the FAQ room if you need more information.

I couldn't figure out how to resize it, so I left it as a link if that's okay. Is my avatar within guidelines?

ecerberus

Registered
Reaction score
Nice cover! Wish there was a thread for just cover sample and critique

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh! Love the banner on your Facebook page too. Did your designers compose it for you?