Jumping into a very large pond (and trying not to drown).

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying my first Kindle Countdown promotion. Empire of Chains will be $0.99 through 7/24. We'll see how it goes. My sales and KU reads have been steady but unspectacular so far. I'm hoping to get a bit of a boost and some more visibility.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
So far, the $0.99 sale seems to be helping. I've made 7 sales in the last two days, and my book is now in the top 40,000 in the Kindle Store. That may not be great by some standards, but it's progress.

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! Sounds like things are going well for you! I'll be following your journey, cheering you on as you post your sales.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
With the $0.99 sale about to wrap up, here are my results:

From June 29th to July 8th, I sold 26 copies. 10 of those were pre-orders.

Then, from July 9th to July 17th, I sold 0 copies (though I did get a decent amount of pages read in KU).

On the 18th, I dropped my price to $0.99. From then until now, I have sold 23 copies. EDIT: 24 copies.

So I'd say the sale definitely helped me. I can also conclude at this point in my career that being in Kindle Unlimited has been a huge plus for me. I know it has its issues, but it's working well for me so far. Because of it, I've made at least a little money every day since the book has been out.

Now I need to get to work on editing the second book in the series. I'd like to release it in mid to late September, with the third book following in December and the fourth book following in March.

In the meantime, I also have plans to release the first book of my Sunweaver series in October, the second in January, and the third in April.

I feel like three months is a good amount of time to put between books in a series. It keeps the reader from waiting too long, and at least from my perspective, it doesn't make it look like you're just churning out crap at a very fast pace. I've seen people who can put out a book a month. Some of them can even produce high-quality books at that rate. I'm a fast writer, but I'm not sure I'll ever be that fast. I also tend to write my books on the longer side (they are epic fantasy after all), which means that they can sometimes take longer to write, revise, edit, and polish.

Last edited:

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
July numbers:

e-books sold: 37
KENP pages read: 14,636
paperbacks sold: 5

Total (including June 29th and 30th)

e-books sold: 51
KENP pages read: 15,496
paperbacks sold: 7

I'm not setting the world on fire, but I felt like those were pretty solid sales for my first month. More than I expected, actually. I don't know how the next month and a half will go, but I expect a bump in my sales when I release the sequel to Empire of Chains in September.

ETA: I've also had my best day in pages read today, so that was some good news to come home to.

Last edited:

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
August has been pretty slow for me so far. I've read of a lot of people having a similar experience this month.

I'm also past the first month now. I figure sales will be slow unless I do some kind of major marketing push. I should probably get working on my revisions for the second book. I've made steady progress, and I still think I can get it out toward the end of September.

Once I do release it, I'm considering dropping the price of Empire of Chains to $0.99 again. I don't know whether I'd want to make this permanent with just two books out (though I suppose I can always do a test run and see how it goes).

I'm wary of going the free route with the book. I can't count the number of free books I've downloaded and never gotten around to reading. It's a balancing act, I guess. You'll get more downloads, but how many of them will actually buy the next book in the series?

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wary of going the free route with the book. I can't count the number of free books I've downloaded and never gotten around to reading. It's a balancing act, I guess. You'll get more downloads, but how many of them will actually buy the next book in the series?

Since you are still building your audience, it might be advantageous to make the book free, at least to get more reviews and maybe a few fans once you have more books out. If I read a free book and like it, I always leave a review. (If it's free and I dislike it, I just move along with no review.) There will always be people who don't purchase the next book because they only go for the free ones.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Ryan, how do the KU reads work for the author?

The author gets paid based on the number of pages that are read. It usually comes out to a little more than 4/10 of a cent per page. That doesn't seem like much, but when you consider that my book has 860 pages according to whatever formula Amazon uses, that means I make roughly $3.70 for a full read of the book, which is actually more than I make from a sale (about $2.01)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much, Ryan. I'm sorry it took so long to reply. I actually "lost" this thread, which is why I didn't reply before. :tongue

It finally dawned on me a few minutes ago I could click on your name and look under your threads to find the post. I don't know where my mind has been.

It was a real "duh" moment for me. :e2smack:

Does the amount they pay depend on the amount you charge for the book? Are you happy with your results so far, not just with KU, but with publishing with Amazon in general?

Last edited:

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much, Ryan. I'm sorry it took so long to reply. I actually "lost" this thread, which is why I didn't reply before. :tongue

It finally dawned on me a few minutes ago I could click on your name and look under your threads to find the post. I don't know where my mind has been.

It was a real "duh" moment for me. :e2smack:

Does the amount they pay depend on the amount you charge for the book? Are you happy with your results so far, not just with KU, but with publishing with Amazon in general?

KU and the amount you charge on the book are completely independent of one another. Right now, for example, I'm reading a book that was free at the time I downloaded it, but since I have a KU membership, I figured I'd read it through KU so the author gets some money from my read.

Overall, I'm mostly happy. I don't expect sales to take off until I have more books out (though it would help if I get a good review in the Self-Published Fantasy Blog Off). Going with Amazon is one of those things that you pretty much have to do whether you like it or not. For most self-published authors, the majority of their income is from sales through Amazon. Those who aren't in KU publish their books in other places as well. That works well for some people and not so well for others.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Ryan. I will study up on KU, then. I had heard about it but it hadn't been on my radar before now. Funny how things change in one's awareness when they begin thinking about publishing. :)

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice cover! Are you still on track to release it next month? I was looking at your release schedule on your web site. Very ambitious--kudos to you for a strong start.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Nice cover! Are you still on track to release it next month? I was looking at your release schedule on your web site. Very ambitious--kudos to you for a strong start.

So far, I'm still on track. It will probably be almost at the end of the month. It could be delayed, though, depending on how much of my time school eats up. I hope to stick to that schedule. It shouldn't be impossible or anything because I've already written all seven books of these two series. It's a matter of getting them into shape. Right now, I'm happy with what I have, but not quite thrilled, so I still need probably one more draft and then a final proofread on the second book.

Note: My drafts don't consist of rewriting the book. It's more of an editing pass than anything. I start out focusing on the bigger things, and then I narrow down my focus as I go. Obviously, I correct any typos and other issues as I go along.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
August numbers:

8 e-books sold, 9,262 KENP read

Running total:

58 e-books sold, 24,758 KENP read, 7 paperbacks sold

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Man, your cover is awesome. Love it.

Thanks. It was done by Deranged Doctor Design. If you ever decide to go the self-publishing route, they do great covers at very affordable prices.

CaesarNaples

Collective intox
Registered
Reaction score
How do I turn a cover that I've commissioned into a print ready cover for Createspace or Lulu or any POD service? For my covers, I've used GIMP open source photo editor to make a pixel-perfect file for my cover. Do I pay the artist for the entire file?

Also, how easily can I commission the reverse side of my book? I've used that space for a blurb, a logo, a bar code, secondary blurbs and the like. Wouldn't it be ideal for the design to include all these elements?

For my self made cover, I spent a long time on the effects for the front and back of the book. I kept it open in GIMP and tweaked all the layers for days. AND IT STILL LOOKS QUITE AMATEUR. It's easy to spot that my book is self published.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
How do I turn a cover that I've commissioned into a print ready cover for Createspace or Lulu or any POD service? For my covers, I've used GIMP open source photo editor to make a pixel-perfect file for my cover. Do I pay the artist for the entire file?

Also, how easily can I commission the reverse side of my book? I've used that space for a blurb, a logo, a bar code, secondary blurbs and the like. Wouldn't it be ideal for the design to include all these elements?

For my self made cover, I spent a long time on the effects for the front and back of the book. I kept it open in GIMP and tweaked all the layers for days. AND IT STILL LOOKS QUITE AMATEUR. It's easy to spot that my book is self published.

I don't know the answers for that because I contract out the cover art. They have everything ready for me, and all I have to do is upload the images to Amazon and CreateSpace.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
How do I turn a cover that I've commissioned into a print ready cover for Createspace or Lulu or any POD service?

CreateSpace has cover templates you can download given the number of pages in your print book, the paper color you choose, and the size of the book. For all but my fanciest covers I've used those templates and GIMP to create my print covers.

There is a world of difference between my fanciest covers that a professional designer did for me and my other covers, but one is free and one was part of paying a lot of money for a custom cover. If you have a cover designer they'll sometimes include it in the cost (which is what mine did on my one set of covers) or a lot of cover designers who cater to self-publishers offer to convert a cover over to a print version for an additional fee, usually about $125 or so.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
September was a pretty quiet month for me. I'm hoping things pick up later this month when I release the second book. I'm also planning on dropping the first book to $0.99 when I release the second.

September sales:

4 e-books
1 paperback
4070 KENP read

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
I went ahead and dropped the first book to $0.99. I've been making more sales, so that's good.

And today I finished the proofread of the second book, The Shadowed Land. I'm planning on releasing it before the end of the month. I was thinking about releasing it on Halloween, but that might not be the most conducive to first-day sales because people are doing other things on Halloween.

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do first day sales make a difference? Obviously you would want the launch to go well, but if you have more sales the first day vs. another day, will it boost your book's rank on Amazon?

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Do first day sales make a difference? Obviously you would want the launch to go well, but if you have more sales the first day vs. another day, will it boost your book's rank on Amazon?

If you sell well enough right out the gate, you can get one of those nifty Bestseller tags Amazon puts on books. I'm not expecting to sell that well, though. My sales have been solid on the first book, but not spectacular.

I almost have everything ready. I just need a day I can sit down and do all the little housekeeping things. I'm thinking now that it might be Friday (my only day off from both school and work this week).