Prey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, uh, I actually really liked the original Prey back from 2006/2008?

It was dumb but fun and at least tried to be inclusive in a kind of Star Trek Voyager sort of way.

...Prey, the 2017 game out right now, is nothing like that game, has nothing to do with it, and is FUCKING BRILLIANT.

Do you like Bioshock?

Do you like System Shock 2?

Do you like Dishonored?

BUY THIS GAME!

Learn as little as possible about it, seriously. It's fucking brilliant. Also, the soundtrack is on par with Stranger Things in terms of style and sheer goddamn quality.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bought it and it should arrive tomorrow or Monday. From what I've read, it (PC version) should play OK on my 3440 x 1440 Predator G-Sync. :snoopy:

kneedeepinthedoomed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
spawnhost.wordpress.com
Inclusive? The original Prey?

It was about some dork who has to rescue his permanently screaming girlfriend ("Tommyyyyyyyyy!") after they are abducted by aliens (what else).

Primitive damsel in distress story. What happens when he finds her is even worse. To top it off, he hooks up with the barely-dressed high priestess in the end. Not to mention the questionable "super secret".

Yes, they're both native American, but that side of the story is pretty underdeveloped imho.

The gravity-changing shenanigans are pretty cool but that didn't save the game for me. Yes, I played all the way through, but there are way better shooter games. From around the same era, Half-Life 2, Bioshock and STALKER come to mind.

The new one looks cool though. From the little I've seen.

YMMV.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me how it's similar to Dishonored? I watched the trailer and I definitely got a Bioshock vibe from it (I've never played System Shock) but I'm not seeing Dishonored, and that's one of my favourite games.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Inclusive? The original Prey?

Yeah, in a "Star Trek: Voyager" kind of way.

Have you seen Star Trek: Voyager and Chakotay?

It's seven years of backhanded compliments and racism acted with all the charisma of an Ent reading the phonebook.

As for how the game is similar to Dishonored, it's mostly in the mobility mechanics so far. It is clearly based on the same engine - you jump, climb, and crouch in the same way, giving you a fantastic sense of mobility.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me how it's similar to Dishonored?

Arkane Studios made both games and you can see a lot of their stylistic touches (particularly in character design and level multi-pathing) all over. But Prey (2017) (and I've only gotten the demo so far) is far less an action stealth game. There's not a whole lot of sneaking up and assassinating/knocking out enemies to be done. And - at least as far as I got in the demo - the story is a little slower to unfold.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Zoombie and KateSmash. Not that I can afford new games right now anyway!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Frustratingly, I haven't really been able to play this game for the past few days.

Basically, my computer is in the living room (moved it there so I can spend more time with my Grandma.)

And weirdly, it's hard to get into the creepy spooky sci-fi game with a deep and involving plot while Dad's watching the news and Grandma is asking me where she is and who we are and where her dog who died in 1985 is.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
And weirdly, it's hard to get into the creepy spooky sci-fi game with a deep and involving plot while Dad's watching the news and Grandma is asking me where she is and who we are and where her dog who died in 1985 is.

Wait til everyone else has gone to bed. I bet playing in the middle of the night, alone, with all the lights off will have the opposite effect.

meaghangray

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, in a "Star Trek: Voyager" kind of way.

Have you seen Star Trek: Voyager and Chakotay?

It's seven years of backhanded compliments and racism acted with all the charisma of an Ent reading the phonebook.

As for how the game is similar to Dishonored, it's mostly in the mobility mechanics so far. It is clearly based on the same engine - you jump, climb, and crouch in the same way, giving you a fantastic sense of mobility.

Ha! I just started watching Voyager for the first time (only every done TOS and TNG, time to spread my wings) and I absolutely lost my shit in an early episode when Paris just keeps asking Chakotay if he has any old Indian tricks to save them. Coincidentally, I also am listening to Welcome to Nightvale for the first time and... well... let's just say Chakotay-to-the-max is totally in it.

Last edited:

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Been playing Prey now for several hours and it's pretty absorbing. I really like it.

The choices of approach are endless.

Got as far as the Doctor's laboratory workshop but my suit was down to zero. Have started a fresh game, now that I have a better idea how to survive while keeping my health and suit intact. Love the Gloo gun -upgraded it as soon as I could. :snoopy:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of reviewers I like - Yhatzee, Jim Sterling - are saying this game isn't scary.

That's fair. BUt see, those hardened indivituals beat (and enjoyed) Alien Isolation, Amnesia the Dark Descent and Outlast.

Three games that I literally can't even sit in the main menu of without getting scared witless.

Prey is plenty ​scary enough for me.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
This game looks really tempting. I've seen it compared to Bioshock, which is one of my absolute favorite series. I really need to finish a few games I already own, though, so I might wait. Maybe I can get it for my birthday in a couple months.

I don't mind if it's creepy but super scary. I do like horror games, but I do have my limits. For me, there's something scarier about a game where I'm controlling the character and really immersed in the setting than, say, most movies. Though, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is actually one of the games I need to finish playing. :p

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With Prey - Crank up the volume. Lots of silence as we explore and get absorbed, then....

MySummerJob

Registered
Reaction score
I'm absolutely loving this game, glad I decided to give it a chance.

Hopefully it does well enough to warrant a sequel. I'm very interested in exploring more of the aliens, and that ending (which I won't spoil) has got me very intrigued. I want to see what possible repercussions might entail after that reveal (if any).

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I assume mouse and wasd controls? Any other special controls that would make it difficult for someone with clumsy dexterity to play?
Is it pauseable? (can you pause the game)
Save anywhere, or checkpoints?
How many save slots?
does it have varied difficulty levels?
can you turn off or down the music?
does it employ epilepsy causing light strobing and unnecessarily distracting noises?

Most game developers are ignoring the market of the aging gamers who have the money to buy the games but not the reflexes or visual or auditory filtering abilities of an 8 year old on espresso

Hmm, as far as I can tell they don't have a demo available for PC, only for consoles. That's a big red flag for me. No Demo, no buy

Last edited:

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
QUOTE=GeorgeK;10209974]I assume mouse and wasd controls? Any other special controls that would make it difficult for someone with clumsy dexterity to play? I use mouse and wasd. I use a standard Logitech keyboard, but I think you can get larger keys if necessary for dexterity issues.

Is it pauseable? (can you pause the game) Yes. 'Escape' pauses most games.

Save anywhere, or checkpoints? Save anywhere or anytime you want. F5 gives an instant save but there's frequent automatic saves, too.

How many save slots? 20, I think, then you have to start deleting.

does it have varied difficulty levels? Yes and you can switch anytime.

can you turn off or down the music? Yes

does it employ epilepsy causing light strobing and unnecessarily distracting noises? That's tricky- there is a warning about flickering or flashing lights. Usually is in these games. How it affects individuals in playing Prey, I don't know and can't say

Most game developers are ignoring the market of the aging gamers who have the money to buy the games but not the reflexes or visual or auditory filtering abilities of an 8 year old on espresso. I am 80 and go at my own speed

Hmm, as far as I can tell they don't have a demo available for PC, only for consoles. That's a big red flag for me. No Demo, no buy

I would have thought google would bring up something, and You tube is bound to have PC snippets, surely.

I've played PC games since 1995 and am thoroughly enjoying Prey - more so than Mass Effect -Andromeda, actually, which I haven't finished because I finally got fed up constantly going back and forth to the same places.

Prey is challenging in the 'puzzle out' sense, but great fun. I re-started three separate campaigns (or games) at the beginning until I felt I had the hang of things to continue. You can start a fresh game at any time still keeping the old game 1,2,3 on file if you wish.

Excellent graphics. Need a good machine.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Prey's combat is fairly deliberative. If you're the kind of person who can paitently scope out a room, make a plan, then put it into action rather than springing in, flailing around with your wrench...well, you'll do well.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep- I love scoping out the territory and then planning how to clear out the baddies with as little self-damage as possible. May take several attempts but it's good clean fun.

Took me a while to realise there were some places I just couldn't and wouldn't be able to get to until later in the game - no matter how close the location seemed.

The Z scoping key is a very useful tool for scanning the territory when you finally get the scoping facility.

Yeah, Prey's combat is fairly deliberative. If you're the kind of person who can paitently scope out a room, make a plan, then put it into action rather than springing in, flailing around with your wrench...well, you'll do well.

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like it may be worth checking out then. Thanks

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
QUOTE=GeorgeK;10209974]

I would have thought google would bring up something, and You tube is bound to have PC snippets, surely.
[/QUOTE]The problem is that YouTubes are not made by people with neurologic issues. So a 20 something saying, "This is easy," doesn't tell me much. There are a lot of things that were easy when I was twenty that aren't easy any more.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Zoombie. I second that.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I love this game. I like to think of it as the spiritual successor to Dead Space. I've beaten it once, and I'm halfway through a no-neuromod run. You want a challenge? Try that one...

Status
Not open for further replies.