Why do you Self publish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
In my mind, that's one of the great things about self-publishing. It gives you a chance to experiment. Sure, you might fall flat on your face, but as long as you're able to handle the loss financially, you can move on and try again with another book.

And sometimes your experiment might just be successful.

I think that's the appeal to most people. I've always thought failing on my own terms is preferable to endless rounds of querying, form rejections that can be interpreted a thousand ways, stony silence, full requests followed by "not for us"...

TaylorSaville

A Gritty, Delicate Elegy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taylorsaville.com
Thank you guys for the awesome information! I wasn't aware a self-published book did not often get trade published! I think I'm okay with that though, honestly. I am getting more confident with my work, and to be honest "Jagged Mind" was a strange project and not really one I want trade published. My upcoming fantasy series is something I'm a lot more passionate about, but even still... I do like the control over my work that I have right now. It's complete freedom. My husband is an artist, and I like for him to create all my art. I could never, ever sacrifice that partnership we have if a trade publisher did not want to use his art. Maybe some of them would, but I know I'll be writing books for a long time. I might try to get one of them trade published, but at least now I'm aware that I would have to do that BEFORE self-publishing. :D

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful cover! And being married to an artist, that's a hell of an advantage...

Are you planning an ebook version as well, or are you just going to leave it as a paperback?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know how many authors chose self publishing over trade publishing without ever having been trade published or tried the more traditional agent/publisher route. My guess is it's a pretty high ratio.

Jeff

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Some go for self-publishing without trying the trade route. Me, I tried it for about 9 months, all told. No serious bites.

I respect trade publishing, but I have to do what's best for myself. Door's always open if anyone wants to come to me.

TaylorSaville

A Gritty, Delicate Elegy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taylorsaville.com
Beautiful cover! And being married to an artist, that's a hell of an advantage...

Are you planning an ebook version as well, or are you just going to leave it as a paperback?

I'm definitely wanting to activate the ebook option. I've had issues making the ebook, so I have to really sit down on a day off and figure it out. The book has eleven interior illustrations, and they always seem to cause me problems!

Yes, it's amazing having a professional illustrator at my disposal, haha! He does art for a living. My new fantasy cover is even more gorgeous!

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm definitely wanting to activate the ebook option. I've had issues making the ebook, so I have to really sit down on a day off and figure it out. The book has eleven interior illustrations, and they always seem to cause me problems!

Yes, it's amazing having a professional illustrator at my disposal, haha! He does art for a living. My new fantasy cover is even more gorgeous!

Have you tried using Vellum? It's generally thought of to be the best and easiest way to make ebooks.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Although a lot of people do that thing where you rent a Mac through a cloud or whatever. I forget what it's called.

Ooh I did not know that was a thing. Will research. Thanks! I might end up just paying for formatting. Can't decide if I want to go through the trouble of learning, lol.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Ooh I did not know that was a thing. Will research. Thanks! I might end up just paying for formatting. Can't decide if I want to go through the trouble of learning, lol.

It's known for being very, very easy to use. The cost of the software is pretty quickly paid for if you take into account the cost of formatting.

Status
Not open for further replies.