AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.


 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 64 of 64

Thread: Why do you Self publish?

  1. #51
    permaflounced
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by rwm4768 View Post
    In my mind, that's one of the great things about self-publishing. It gives you a chance to experiment. Sure, you might fall flat on your face, but as long as you're able to handle the loss financially, you can move on and try again with another book.

    And sometimes your experiment might just be successful.
    I think that's the appeal to most people. I've always thought failing on my own terms is preferable to endless rounds of querying, form rejections that can be interpreted a thousand ways, stony silence, full requests followed by "not for us"...

  2. #52
    A Gritty, Delicate Elegy TaylorSaville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    65
    Thank you guys for the awesome information! I wasn't aware a self-published book did not often get trade published! I think I'm okay with that though, honestly. I am getting more confident with my work, and to be honest "Jagged Mind" was a strange project and not really one I want trade published. My upcoming fantasy series is something I'm a lot more passionate about, but even still... I do like the control over my work that I have right now. It's complete freedom. My husband is an artist, and I like for him to create all my art. I could never, ever sacrifice that partnership we have if a trade publisher did not want to use his art. Maybe some of them would, but I know I'll be writing books for a long time. I might try to get one of them trade published, but at least now I'm aware that I would have to do that BEFORE self-publishing.
    Jagged Mind available on Amazon. ▼


  3. #53
    Livin' la vida biblia ASeiple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    789
    Beautiful cover! And being married to an artist, that's a hell of an advantage...

    Are you planning an ebook version as well, or are you just going to leave it as a paperback?
    My Twitter
    My Blog
    My Facebook Page
    My Web Page
    My most recent release:


    DIRE:SINS

  4. #54
    Benefactor Member WeaselFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Floral City, FL
    Posts
    3,064
    I'd be curious to know how many authors chose self publishing over trade publishing without ever having been trade published or tried the more traditional agent/publisher route. My guess is it's a pretty high ratio.

    Jeff

  5. #55
    Livin' la vida biblia ASeiple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    789
    Some go for self-publishing without trying the trade route. Me, I tried it for about 9 months, all told. No serious bites.

    I respect trade publishing, but I have to do what's best for myself. Door's always open if anyone wants to come to me.
    My Twitter
    My Blog
    My Facebook Page
    My Web Page
    My most recent release:


    DIRE:SINS

  6. #56
    A Gritty, Delicate Elegy TaylorSaville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by ASeiple View Post
    Beautiful cover! And being married to an artist, that's a hell of an advantage...

    Are you planning an ebook version as well, or are you just going to leave it as a paperback?
    I'm definitely wanting to activate the ebook option. I've had issues making the ebook, so I have to really sit down on a day off and figure it out. The book has eleven interior illustrations, and they always seem to cause me problems!

    Yes, it's amazing having a professional illustrator at my disposal, haha! He does art for a living. My new fantasy cover is even more gorgeous!
    Jagged Mind available on Amazon. ▼


  7. #57
    permaflounced
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorSaville View Post
    I'm definitely wanting to activate the ebook option. I've had issues making the ebook, so I have to really sit down on a day off and figure it out. The book has eleven interior illustrations, and they always seem to cause me problems!

    Yes, it's amazing having a professional illustrator at my disposal, haha! He does art for a living. My new fantasy cover is even more gorgeous!
    Have you tried using Vellum? It's generally thought of to be the best and easiest way to make ebooks.

  8. #58
    A Gritty, Delicate Elegy TaylorSaville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by RightHoJeeves View Post
    Have you tried using Vellum? It's generally thought of to be the best and easiest way to make ebooks.
    I haven't heard of that! I'll definitely look into it. Thank you!
    Jagged Mind available on Amazon. ▼


  9. #59
    permaflounced
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorSaville View Post
    I haven't heard of that! I'll definitely look into it. Thank you!
    I believe today or yesterday they just released new software that formats paperbacks, too.

  10. #60
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In constant transit
    Posts
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by RightHoJeeves View Post
    I believe today or yesterday they just released new software that formats paperbacks, too.
    I just looked into it and it says it's only for MACs.

  11. #61
    permaflounced
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by andiwrite View Post
    I just looked into it and it says it's only for MACs.
    Yep. Although a lot of people do that thing where you rent a Mac through a cloud or whatever. I forget what it's called.

  12. #62
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In constant transit
    Posts
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by RightHoJeeves View Post
    Yep. Although a lot of people do that thing where you rent a Mac through a cloud or whatever. I forget what it's called.
    Ooh I did not know that was a thing. Will research. Thanks! I might end up just paying for formatting. Can't decide if I want to go through the trouble of learning, lol.

  13. #63
    Herder of Hamsters AW Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    On the Server
    Posts
    13,335
    I've been impressed by draft2digital.com
    https://www.draft2digital.com

  14. #64
    permaflounced
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by andiwrite View Post
    Ooh I did not know that was a thing. Will research. Thanks! I might end up just paying for formatting. Can't decide if I want to go through the trouble of learning, lol.
    It's known for being very, very easy to use. The cost of the software is pretty quickly paid for if you take into account the cost of formatting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search