ALDI "xeroxes" their logo

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
If no one else has used the term "xerox" as a pejorative verb, i.e.: replacing a potentially timeless and universally recognizable logo with something patently forgettable as Xerox did a few years ago with the red X-ball, let me be the first.

Behold the old and new ALDI logo.

The vibe I get: a conversation in the Art Department at the dawn of desktop publishing, circa 1980s . . .

"Larry's not gonna like this. He's our best airbrush artist but now we can do gradients on the computer! And without the fumes!"

The puffy stylized A wouldn't look out of place on an athletic shoe, while the font suggests a make of car from a former Soviet Bloc country.

Won't make me stop shopping there. Your thoughts, world?

24@New%20Aldi%20Logo@JOEEKAITIS.jpg

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The new logo looks more vibrant and cleaner.

Unfortunately, it also reminds me sharply of the logo Disney uses for their Contemporary hotel in Florida. The big A-frame with the monorail train zooming through.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think hating logo redesigns is a bit of a modern internet sport. It's really not much of a difference from the point of view of the average consumer.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
The old one makes me think "70s."

I like the new one. It keeps the aesthetic of the original while updating it to a more modern look.

Way better than the re-design our company just did, which also involved auto-updating the background image on everyone's computer from black to a sickly mustard yellow.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand how one of those is timeless and universally recognized while the other is patently forgettable, as it just looks like the '70s and '90s versions of a logo to me?

I couldn't have picked either out of a lineup as to what they belonged to with the name stripped, but they essentially look the same to me, just the left looks super old, '70s-ish and the other looks like a lightly updated version.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe Aldi shopper have an interest in the logo. The service is bad and the choice is limited, but it is a bit cheaper than some of the rivals. Profits must be struggling,why spend some of it changing the logo?

Last edited:

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit I don't see much of a difference. Companies change their logos periodically, and this one appears a minor update rather than a redesign.

gtbun

Professional Book Designer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffreybunting.co.uk
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with this re-design, it looks a lot better. It's not especially modern, per se, but it looks a lot cleaner and sleek, like someone's put a bit more care into it. The typography's been updated and the "a" shape looks a lot more consistent. As far as re-designs go, this is very successful. With a very recognisable image to work with, the designer has manged to update it without alienating a market familiar with the Aldi logo. Given that most customers likely only give it a cursory glance, they're unlikely to register that its changed, but the company has at least brushed up their image a bit.