Experience of publishing unsolicited vs agented work, plus another q

K Corcoran

Registered
Reaction score
I have two PB manuscripts that I am ready to start sending to publishers. I have 10 years of writing experience, but this will be my first time dabbling in books.

I would love to hear what your experience was like working with publishers when you had an agent vs you acting on your own. I am curious about pay difference as well, keeping in mind that those that accept unsolicited manuscripts are often smaller publishers.

I am going to try to wing it on my own at first, but am not opposed to an agent. I guess I just want to see if I can do it.

My other question is - if a publisher doesn't explicitly say to not send in multiple submissions, but also doesn't invite multiple submissions, can I send in both manuscripts assuming they are both a good fit? How would you suggest doing that - two query letters? Or one query covering both books? One manuscript per submission email or mail packet? Or both? Again, assuming there is no instruction.

Thank you! :)

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Always send one manuscript at a time as the default. Only send more if the guidelines say to do so, and only for picture books.

I've never had an agent, but I always suggest sending to agents first unless you have no desire to have one. You see, once you've exhausted all of the open editors, you'll be less likely to get an agent for that work. You'll have limited their potential sales too much. That doesn't mean you can't seek an agent with other work, but it limits your chances of selling those first books you subbed for a while. (Sometimes, you can try them again if they've been majorly revised or a lot of time has passed.)

K Corcoran

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I ended up sending 20 queries between the two manuscripts (no dual submissions). I've had one rejection but if I don't get a bite with anyone I'm going to have to revisit and may try direct to publishers. I don't know. I'd love an agent but with that many submissions I would hope I'd at least get some interesteven if it doesn't get picked up. I submitted to a good mix of seasoned dream agents and newer agents. I've had kid and adult beta readers with very positive feedback and I'm feeling particularly confident about one of the manuscripts.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Consider revisiting your query and not just your manuscript. Go over and post in Query Letter Hell. There are some serious experts down there. Also, twenty is nothing. There are threads on how many queries it took some folks. Might be worth you looking it up.