Hybridizing in 3... 2... 1....

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Since others have put their self-publishing journeys here, I thought I might do so as well. I've put up a companion novel for a series that was published by Skyscape. So let's see how it goes.

The book in question is Rise Through the Storm, and it's part of the Celestine series that's down there in my sigline. (all images = clickies) I've had a few reads and a couple of downloads so far. I'll post here if things make a significant change.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck!

You're not the first author I've encountered online who's had to move to self-publishing in the middle of a series. In a way, it's a great thing. The publisher may have issues, or they may think they can't make enough money off your book, but then you still have a way to get it out to fans.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It's actually going better than I expected.

E-book only, so far. (I'm having format issues with the print book.) No ads. No announcements beyond Twitter and a toss-up on my old blog, but the book's doing really well among Steampunk readers!

:hooray: YAY!!! :hooray:

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
It's actually going better than I expected.

E-book only, so far. (I'm having format issues with the print book.) No ads. No announcements beyond Twitter and a toss-up on my old blog, but the book's doing really well among Steampunk readers!

:hooray: YAY!!! :hooray:

Glad to hear it. Do you think they are readers who've already read the other two in the series, or might they be new readers jumping into it?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I would assume they're readers from the other two books, as it's marked as 3rd in a series. I guess it could be people who like the sample and thus try the series. That's one data point there's no way to check.

Something that popped up today was all three books offered for sale together for just under $10. I'm not sure how the bundling happened, but it's an interesting development.

Incidentally - what do you think of the cover? I know the font's not an exact match, but does it look enough like the other two books?

Last edited:

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As far as the cover goes, I think it's good. You have similar elements in all three, even if the font is different. Is there a reason you changed the font?

That's interesting about the bundle. I wonder if it's similar to when Amazon selects a book as a "Hot New Release"? Congrats on the extra push.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't publish the first two books myself, so I didn't have access to the cover-artist's font or clip art / photo bank. The final one's the only one I did myself.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
I think the cover is similar enough that it shouldn't heart series branding at all. It would be nice to have the same font, but sometimes you can't control those things when you go hybrid.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
A little help from those of you with the know-how.

I've gotten a couple of mentions of typos, so I checked my file. I think I must have uploaded the wrong version (like a proofing file instead of a final one). Can I swap out the edited file for the one currently being used without it interfering in anything? I want to make sure the clean file is the one being seen.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, absolutely. You can swap without issue. Just note that it'll take a few hours to upload, usually.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
You can swap out the files easily enough but if someone has already bought the book, at least on Amazon, they'll still have the old version.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Really? I was under the impression that when the Kindle synchs up with the cloud, it updates the ebook with the latest changes.

Well, unless the user's turned automatic updates off. But that's their purview.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Looking forward to see how you do Cyia. Once I get caught up on my reading list a bit more I will for sure be supporting you.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Really? I was under the impression that when the Kindle synchs up with the cloud, it updates the ebook with the latest changes.

Well, unless the user's turned automatic updates off. But that's their purview.

It's more complicated than that. If I simply upload a new file, only people who buy the book from then on will see that file. People with the old book will only be able to view the old book. If I contact Amazon to say I've made changes, but not critical ones, they can make it so everyone has the option to update their book if they want. People who set it up to update automatically will get it, as will anyone who manually chooses to update. If I contact Amazon and say the changes I've made were critical (for example, the book was unreadable because the formatting was wrong) they can force the update for all readers.