Obama Cashes In. You Got A Problem With That?

$60 million book deals and $400K speeches for Obama?

• It's no big deal.

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • It's hypocritical as can be.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Get That Money.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Turn it down. You Have Enough Already.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the perks of being ex-president is unless everybody hated your stinking guts by the time your term ended, you can probably make a few bucks by writing a book and giving speeches.

Barack Obama is a hot commodity. How hot? Oh, about $60 million book deal for him and Michelle, and now a whopping $400,000 to give a speech to CantorFitzgerald at a health conference.

Some folks aren't too happy about it. :rant:

Sen. Bernie Sanders:

Former Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) criticized former President Barack Obama during an interview Friday on “CBS This Morning” for allegedly agreeing to a massive payday for an upcoming Wall Street speech. According to reports, Obama has agreed to speak for $400,000 at a Wall Street health care conference in September, hosted by Cantor Fitzgerald LP.

Sanders, a vocal critic of Wall Street, often criticized former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton for delivering such speeches during the contentious 2016 Democratic primary.

The senator labeled Obama’s decision “unfortunate.”

“President Obama’s a friend of mine,” Sanders said. “I think he, as president, represented our country with integrity and intelligence, but I think at a time when people are so frustrated with the power of Wall Street and the big-money interests, I think it is unfortunate that President Obama is doing this.

“I would have hoped that the president would not have given a speech like this,” Sanders said.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren:

Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren says she is “troubled” by former President Barack Obama’s decision to give a Wall Street speech for $400,000 this year.

An interview between Ms. Warren and Sirius XM’s “Alter Family Politics” on Thursday addressed Mr. Obama’s upcoming conference talk run by Cantor Fitzgerald LP. The Democrat likened the money he will make to “a snake that slithers through Washington” and “ultimately threatens democracy.”

“I was troubled by that,” the senator said while discussing “This is our Fight,” her new book. “One of the things I talk about in the book is the influence of money. I describe it as a snake that slithers through Washington. It shows up in so many in so many different ways here in Washington. You know, people understand […] the money that goes into campaign contributions. And when I say ‘understand,’ I don’t mean they think it’s OK — but at least people see it.

Van Jones, CNN:
Former Obama adviser and CNN political analyst Van Jones suggested President Obama go on a “poverty tour” as a way to mitigate some of the criticism surrounding news he'll make $400,000 for a speech at a Wall Street firm's healthcare conference.

"We need a Bobby Kennedy in this country," Jones said in an interview on CNN's "State of the Union" Sunday.

He suggested the former president "go to Appalachia, go to Native American reservations where they’re shoving these pipelines down their throats and they don’t even have clear, running water. Go to South Central, go to the Arizona border where you have a lot of poverty."

He noted that most recent presidents have made such paid remarks after leaving office, and said Obama "should not be the first president to have to be broke."

But, he added, "If he would do a poverty tour first, from a moral point of view, it would be great for him to do."

Ruth Marcus, Washington Post:
In collecting $400,000 from a Wall Street investment firm to make a single speech, Barack Obama is following in the Gucci-clad footsteps of past presidents. Ronald Reagan landed a $2 million speaking gig in Japan. George W. Bush, on his way out, announced it was time to “replenish the ol’ coffers.” Bill and Hillary Clinton reported making more than $235 million after leaving the White House.

But to acknowledge that Obama has plenty of precedent on his side is not to say that his choice is wise. Indeed, it’s unfortunate.

Obama’s propulsion onto the lecture circuit arrives at a moment of populist disgust with Wall Street greed and the Washington swamp (can doors revolve in swamps?). It comes after a campaign in which Hillary Clinton’s Goldman Sachs speaking fees became a symbol of entitled elitism. So imagine the powerful message Obama would have sent — the reverse precedent — had he chosen to renounce this road to riches.

Or, imagine this, had he chosen to speak publicly, at as many places and on as many topics as he liked. Just not behind closed doors, for an amount equivalent to his White House salary — and seven times what the typical household makes in a year. Such a move would have been understood as an implicit — and well-deserved — rebuke of the Clintons’ compulsive speechifying.

This is not to argue for a post-presidential vow of poverty. I don’t begrudge the Obamas their reported $60-million-plus joint book deal, of which their publisher has said a “significant portion” will be donated to charity. That should leave plenty for the Obamas to live as luxuriously as they could want.

Some readers will argue there is an unfair racial double standard in accepting that previous presidents have cashed in big time and demanding that Obama refrain from doing precisely what they have. “So the first black president must also be the first one to not take money afterwards?” Trevor Noah asked on “The Daily Show” Thursday. “No, no, no, no, no, my friend. He can’t be the first of everything.”

Hogwash. This isn’t about holding the black guy to a higher standard — it’s about trying to hold everyone to a higher standard. Times have changed, and what was once placidly accepted as post-presidential business-as-usual may no longer be.

A wise man once said, “I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money.” That was Obama 2010, on regulating Wall Street. Maybe Obama 2017 could talk to that guy.

--------

Here's my question. Just who the entire hell do Marcus, Jones, Warren and Sanders think they are and where do they get off trying to tell President Obama how much money he should make and what he should do with it?

If some group invites Liz Warren to speak to their group does she show up on her own dime? Is Bernie expected to book his own flight, hump his own bags, catch a cab to a Motel 6 he can flop at and pack a peanut butter-and-jelly sammich so he has something to nibble on?

Why is it unseemly for Obama to make money in his post-presidency? Why does it offend the ideologically purity of the ideologically purists? What makes these sanctimonious, busy-body senators, activists and journalists so holier-than-thou? Besides they believe they are divinely entitled to be that way?

This is what I call The Audacity of Dopes. What's in your wallet, Bernie? Get out of Obama's pocket and mind yer own business.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
After what that family put up with for the last eight years, and the zeal of his opponents to destroy everything they built and half the country along with it, I say "You go, sir!"

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Former president Barack Obama is now a private citizen—albeit an articulate, intelligent citizen with plenty to say. I have no more problem with this than I would were I raking in $400k for a speaking engagement . . . which I couldn't because I have nothing intelligent enough to say worth even twenty bucks.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I expect to be paid when I write or deliver a talk.

I'm an expert, I've worked for my expertise, I deserve pay.

He's an expert in several fields, he's worked for his expertise, he deserves pay.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

He's an expert in several fields, he's worked for his expertise, he deserves pay.

QFT.

The man's doing a job. Pay him for the job, and pay him what he's worth.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Ruth Marcus

Oh, my, how magnanimous of her.

Obama has done everything he was supposed to and then some. He didn't use his position for personal gain while he was President (unlike a certain [expletive deleted] who shall remain nameless), but he's not President anymore. He's a private citizen making his way in this world, just like the rest of us. There's nothing illegal or immoral in signing a book deal or accepting pay for a speaking engagement (Heck, how many of us on this forum would give our right eye for the former?).

I say, "Go, Obama! Make as much money as you can. Goodness knows you've earned it!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Beyond his level of expertise, which is itself reason for a speaker's fee: Value is in part dictated by scarcity. He's one of our few remaining former presidents, which makes the value of his speeches increase. He's the only former president directly preceding the current administration as well as the only former POC president, as well as the first president who really took and maintained office in the era of social-media, all of which makes his particular experience, view point, and insight unique. People are willing to pay large sums for unique.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I think perhaps we can agree that "money in politics" is a problem?

If so, then whether or not Obama did anything unusual in accepting those speaking fees and book deals (answer: he didn't), then I think it's fair to be irritated with the general state of affairs. As another example of why people believe most politicians at the federal level are hopelessly out of touch with problems of average people, the optics aren't great.

But if we want get outraged, how about we aim it at the guy currently using the office to enrich himself while in office.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score

I agree. It seems that people who freak out over these things haven't gone to business conferences. Speakers aren't hired to discuss secrets. They'd do that in, well, secret, and you'd never hear about it. Obama is being paid big bucks just like any speaker who can give cachet to an event. No different if it were Oprah on a women's conference or Steven Hawking giving a keynote at a science conference.

Yes, it can give business leaders some useful information, but it's scarcely going to be trade secrets. More "this is the way business worked while I was in power." At best, people will be scribbling notes going "NB to Planning Dept. - our lobbying efforts on Topic X didn't seem to work well. O laughed about them as "ineffective and awkward." Maybe try something else when another Dem is in office."

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
So, I think perhaps we can agree that "money in politics" is a problem?

If so, then whether or not Obama did anything unusual in accepting those speaking fees and book deals (answer: he didn't), then I think it's fair to be irritated with the general state of affairs. As another example of why people believe most politicians at the federal level are hopelessly out of touch with problems of average people, the optics aren't great.

But if we want get outraged, how about we aim it at the guy currently using the office to enrich himself while in office.

This. I think Senators Warren, Sanders et al should get their priorities straight and aim their outrage at the grift going on in the White House.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. It seems that people who freak out over these things haven't gone to business conferences. Speakers aren't hired to discuss secrets. They'd do that in, well, secret, and you'd never hear about it. Obama is being paid big bucks just like any speaker who can give cachet to an event. No different if it were Oprah on a women's conference or Steven Hawking giving a keynote at a science conference.

Anybody work anywhere where they have meetings or conferences? Anybody ever hear a guest speaker?

Anybody work anywhere where they have meetings or conferences where the guest speaker they heard was the President of the United States? Well, I have and it costs, because you don't get something for nothing and if you can get one of this country's most dynamic speakers, you scratch that check. That qualifies as a major "get." CantorFitzgerald can afford to scratch that check.

Bill Maher, the insufferably smug and incredibly unnecessary talking head showed why it is liberals keep getting their asses kicked by conservatives. On his show Maher tossed Obama into the microwave and turned it on HIGH, saying, “It kind of looks like: when he’s on our team, we’re OK with it. You could say that when a guy is president, he’s looking ahead to that $400,000 payday, and he’s not going to get it if, while he’s president, he’s going to do something to piss them off. So isn’t the best thing to do to take your $10 million book deal? Can’t you live off that?”

It's actually a $65 million book deal, Bill. Now have a nice big cup of Shut the Fuck Up, you useless wank rag. :e2zipped:

The line conservatives peddle to the folks back home is, "Lookit at me! I'm so bloody rich, I worked for it, I deserve every dime of it and I feel great about it!" Liberals say, "Yeah, I'm rich and I feel so guilty about this filthy money and the awful way I made it." Now which sales pitch do you think sells?

This is America. We don't have to like it when people have more than they need, but should we be pissed off because somebody makes a dollar and didn't screw over anybody to get it? Maher (net worth: $30 million) is just annoying but that's what he's paid to be. Sanders is just a sanctimonious twit and he's not Obama's friend. He's nobody's friend because nobody wants a friend who constantly wags his finger at you for not being as pure as he is.

For eight years, Obama was rebuked, insulted, scorned, sniped at, put down, and disrespected. Obama's religion, intelligence, courage, patriotism, sexual orientation, racial identity and birthplace were called into question. Obama was called a liar during a State of the Union. Obama had a governor jab her finger in his face. Obama was told he had no right to nominate a Supreme Court justice. Obama's life was under constant threat. Obama, his wife and his children were demeaned and denigrated in the most racist terms possible, and not only by the fringes of America politics, but by the mainstream too.

If Obama makes a dollar, or a lot of dollars in his post-presidency, I cannot think of another ex-president who deserves it more. Does Obama deserve to find a pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow? Not the point. As a guy once said (before he tried to publicly embarrass Obama at the Republican National Convention comparing him to an empty chair and made himself look slightly demented), "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

But it kinda does. :rolleyes Don't hate the playa. Hate the game.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Sanders is just a sanctimonious twit and he's not Obama's friend. He's nobody's friend because nobody wants a friend who constantly wags his finger at you for not being as pure as he is.
Anyone who thinks Sanders is the future of the Democratic Party (conveniently forgetting he's not actually a Democrat) is in for a rude awakening.

The only thing I think that will keep Donald Trump in the White House for a second term would be Bernie Sanders rallying his troops to protest the Democratic candidate, whoever it may be, for not being a true progressive.

He is suffering from a bit of savior syndrome. Which goes along with ending up a martyr for the cause.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pay the man.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I voted 'other' only because "no big deal" is not wording I agree describes my POV. It's a big deal because Obama is being faulted for taking book and speaking fees commensurate with his position.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
He's now a private citizen, and this is nothing more than providing a service for a fee, private enterprise in the open market. Pay more attention to what he says in the speech, than the amount of money he's paid for it.

caw

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm pretty shocked he did it. And quite disappointed.

I know the guy is a private citizen and whatever, but he's going to be held to higher standards. He's talked a lot about the poisonous influence of money in politics. Now clearly he's not in power anymore, so to an extent it doesn't matter, but it looks bad.

To accept that amount of money from Wall Street when so much of the country is sour to the political process... it's just such an avoidable own goal. I don't think many people care that he's gotten such a huge book deal, because that's fair enough. But accepting the Wall Street money? I mean, the headline "Obama takes $400k in speaking fees from Wall Street" is like a red flag to a bull.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Obama accepting the fee does not bother me.
But what I can't fathom is how any group or corporation can justify spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for one speech. Especially for a person, who may still have some influence, doesn't have real power. What exactly do they get for their expense?

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I don't get the fuss. If a private business wants to pay a private citizen to give a talk, then go for it.

The book deals don't bother me, but the Wall Street thing does to an extent. Yes, technically Obama is a private citizen. But he's also a very recent ex-President. Like it or not, he's going to be held to a way higher moral standard (which, let's be honest, is an image he pushed himself). It's pretty easy to join the dots and construct an argument that a President who accepts huge fees from powerful industries right after leaving office would be hesitant in making legislation to curb that industry's power while he was still in office. When so much of the country has been damaged by Wall Street, it's pretty disheartening to see an ex-President accept huge fees from them.

To be honest what annoys me most about it is its a pre-packaged narrative. Many, many people are already convinced the Democrats are out of touch with normal people and in the pockets of the powerful New York elite. Obama doesn't need the cash, so it would have been very easy to say no to them. Maybe it would have been a token act, but at least it wouldn't have added to the "elite" narrative.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
But what I can't fathom is how any group or corporation can justify spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for one speech.
This is how I feel. I can't fathom a hell of a lot these days :/ .

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty shocked he did it. And quite disappointed.

I know the guy is a private citizen and whatever, but he's going to be held to higher standards. He's talked a lot about the poisonous influence of money in politics. Now clearly he's not in power anymore, so to an extent it doesn't matter, but it looks bad.

To accept that amount of money from Wall Street when so much of the country is sour to the political process... it's just such an avoidable own goal. I don't think many people care that he's gotten such a huge book deal, because that's fair enough. But accepting the Wall Street money? I mean, the headline "Obama takes $400k in speaking fees from Wall Street" is like a red flag to a bull.

My opinion: it mostly looks bad because Clinton was wrongly vilified for it. She can be faulted for not handling the criticism in the most effective way. But she shouldn't have been faulted because she rated high speaker's fees.

I think we need to sort some of this stuff out, what is lobby money, money influencing government, and what is legitimate money commensurate with one's knowledge and talents? It would take me hours to put the differences down in a post.

I'm not looking at either Obama or Clinton as magically not influenced by the money that taints our government. Of course they are. But on the scale of things, where we should be focusing our efforts to make this country better, there are so many other priorities.

Did you know that to get a committee position in the Congress you have to pay a few hundred thousand dollars (I believe in campaign donations that go to the party) to get appointed? Are you familiar with ALEC? Then there's the revolving door, work on legislation that specifically benefits some big company then resign and take a lucrative position with that same company.

And what about all the money the Kochs pour into think tanks that influence public opinion and the disaster that is the unleashing of special interest money in the form of PACs that Citizen United set loose? Are you aware that Justice Thomas through his wife's organization got an $800K payout connected to that SCOTUS vote?

Big money is seriously taking away our democracy. Obama's speaking and book fees are not high up on the list of where the damage is coming from.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But what I can't fathom is how any group or corporation can justify spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for one speech. Especially for a person, who may still have some influence, doesn't have real power. What exactly do they get for their expense?

It's a celebrity and status thing.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
.... To be honest what annoys me most about it is its a pre-packaged narrative. Many, many people are already convinced the Democrats are out of touch with normal people and in the pockets of the powerful New York elite. Obama doesn't need the cash, so it would have been very easy to say no to them. Maybe it would have been a token act, but at least it wouldn't have added to the "elite" narrative.
And we should most definitely be concerned about the narrative. I'm with you there.

As for Obama not needing the cash, I can't speak to that.But do we know whether that speech might influence something like corporate social responsibility? We have much too little of that philosophy in business, instead fiduciary responsibility to the shareholder dominates.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
And what about all the money the Kochs pour into think tanks that influence public opinion and the disaster that is the unleashing of special interest money in the form of PACs that Citizen United set loose? Are you aware that Justice Thomas through his wife's organization got an $800K payout connected to that SCOTUS vote?

Big money is seriously taking away our democracy. Obama's speaking and book fees are not high up on the list of where the damage is coming from.

Absolutely. In the big scheme of things Obama's fees don't matter a jot. But unfortunately we live in a time where facts don't matter, only people's silly opinions. And despite all the logic and reason you can throw behind it, people will use it as a reason to say the Democrats hate everyday Americans. I just think he has potentially inflicted a bit of an unnecessary wound by taking the fees.