Malleable May - 500 words/day or editing - all genres welcome

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
729 words this morning. Progress has been slow for the last couple of weeks. But I guess every word counts.

This has been my issue also.

But definitely every word counts. So I just keep moving forwards. At a far slower pace than I'd like but forwards all the same.

I wish I had a short story due to an editor. I'm just sitting on a wealth of shorts and flash fiction.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had a short story due to an editor. I'm just sitting on a wealth of shorts and flash fiction.

Don't sit on them, send them out. :poke:

No words today. Shall get back to the editing tomorrow

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Brechin - Or bundle them together and sell them. :D I have one such bundle called In Flames. It's supposed to be an introduction to my work. I have it actually for free, and I've gotten a good number of downloads.

So my bosses are seeing their bookkeeper on Thursday about dissolving the business. I do believe this is happening. :(

:flails:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well done, everyone! And :Hug2: Saoirse. Hang in there.

Wrote 3,111 words today, which would be more impressive if it didn't involve a rewrite of a chapter I did a couple of days ago. But I'm back on track, and I'm actually quite fond of the MS today. That'll pass, of course. :)

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
Brechin - Or bundle them together and sell them. :D I have one such bundle called In Flames. It's supposed to be an introduction to my work. I have it actually for free, and I've gotten a good number of downloads.

So my bosses are seeing their bookkeeper on Thursday about dissolving the business. I do believe this is happening. :(

That's a good idea! I've been thinking about that for a little while. I'm definitely going to be sending some out, but I very much would like to put them together eventually.

Sorry about your job. That really sucks.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I'm so sorry to hear that, Saoirse. :Hug2:

Wrote 3,111 words today, which would be more impressive if it didn't involve a rewrite of a chapter I did a couple of days ago. But I'm back on track, and I'm actually quite fond of the MS today. That'll pass, of course. :)

YAY! Here's to liking you MS. (At least for today. :greenie)

That's a good idea! I've been thinking about that for a little while. I'm definitely going to be sending some out, but I very much would like to put them together eventually.

Good luck with the sub, Brechin, when you decide to send your work out.

I've been working hard on a few scenes, firming them up, and checking timing - they're close to the end of the book so I have to make sure the timing is spot on. Not sure how many words I've added, or taken away, but progress has been made.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
2,018 today. I'm at one of those moments where I know where the story is going, but I'm still feeling out the next scene. This one has a lot of threads, and it's tricky keeping the right ones in the foreground without losing the rest.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every time I think I've written the final scene for this WIP another appears. :Headbang:

Bright side... 691 words written.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
muse - That happens with every book I write. ;) I'm convinced it's because I subconsciously don't want to revise.

I am writing again, yay! It's nonfiction. I'm not ready to discuss it yet, but it's a cool idea. 2k in two days!

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
muse - That happens with every book I write. ;) I'm convinced it's because I subconsciously don't want to revise.

I think it's more I don't want to finish. :)

I am writing again, yay! It's nonfiction. I'm not ready to discuss it yet, but it's a cool idea. 2k in two days!

Congrats on writing again, and the word count.

329 words today, but many more red-penned into oblivion.:banana:

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
I think I need to reframe my goal to submitting things. Producing words (usually) isn't a problem for me because I have very fast fingers, hovering around 115 WPM, give or take a few depending on the day and what I'm writing, so in twenty or thirty minutes I can write a decent short story. I'm also good about editing my work and getting it up to snuff. But for some reason I have a mental block when it comes to magazines. I convince myself there's one more to thing to change, one more to tweak, that something is missing....and although I may write ten or fifteen stories in a month, maybe one, if even that, gets sent out.

So, new goal: Submit at least one story a week, no ifs, ands, or buts about it!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Welcome sockycat and good luck with your goal. You can do this.

500 words exactly on the nonfiction project yesterday. Aiming to do more in a few.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Good writing session before work this morning. 1131 achieved.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Not quite so good this morning. 561 words written. But I got to the end of the chapter.

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
I've been in a slump recently. The words have not been coming as easily.

So, I decided to take a break from trying to write a new chapter, and rewrote the first one to better fit the rest of the story. The pace of rewriting got me out of the slump and how much I love my first chapter really helped reinvigorate me. Now I'm in the mood to write again.

722 this morning.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted to two magazines today, and I hated every minute of it...but I did it!

Now to try and get at least 500 in.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: for all words, subs, finishing chapters, etc.

I am not tracking word counts because I'm not sure why but I'm writing little bits and holy cow, the tangential character who I thought was going to be an early kill-off is turning out to be funny and... well... someone. But he does swear and drink and womanize an awful lot, so spending an entire book with him as a POV character... *shudders primly* (Okay, I'll admit it. He's fun.)

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Shara - Nice wordage!

Brechin - Awesome that you were able to pull yourself out of your slump. :D

sockycat - Yay for submitting!

heyjude - Your character sounds very fun. :D

A total of around 1,200 words between finishing a short story and the nonfiction project. I'll take it.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like everyone is hitting all their targets. sockeycat - good luck with the submissions.

HJ - your character sounds like a lot of fun to write. :greenie

I'm still shaping the last 5/6 scenes for my WIP. I'm finding them kinda hard to write as I've been holding on to all these secrets for so long that now it seems wrong to finally let the reader know. Need to work through that block and get the scenes at least fleshed out.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
WOW you guys are amazing! :e2cheer:

The Kid had a half day today, which meant I wasn't going to get much writing done anyway, so I did a readthrough-and-outline of what I've got. It's less off the rails than I thought, and I have a slightly better idea of where to head next.

The only thing that worries me is that I'm at 36K already, and I have no idea how far into the story I am. It could wrap up at 80K; it could push past 140K. I dunno. I don't tend to write short.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Picked youngest up at college today - a 5hr round trip. Then spent what was left of the day doing laundry for said child. (Trying not to think of the mountain of ironing awaiting.)

No words to report today.:Shrug:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a query I will never send to anyone. :Shrug:

(Except maybe muse... just to entertain and/or bug her!)