Malleable May - 500 words/day or editing - all genres welcome

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Because May can become anything we want it to.

How was April? Productive? Disappointing? Spectacular for other reasons? Share your thoughts!

What's on deck for May? How can we support you?

Go, team! :e2cheer:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
April was less hideously demoralizing than March. :hooray: :hooray: I turned in my copy edit, but there has been a wrinkle: I was on the hook to get the rights to something I thought someone else was on the hook to get the rights to. Fortunately everyone is being lovely, and research is happening, but I don't know yet if it'll be prohibitively expensive. It only affects a small section of the book, but it's not as simple as swapping out some words, so I'm considering doing a preemptive rewrite in case the numbers make my head explode.

And then I'll have a story to tell when people come by AW and ask "How do I get permissions to use a quote?"

I also got WIP #1 out to betas, and got some excellent feedback that caused me to rewrite about 1/4 of what I had. I think it works better now, but I'm still wanting to stay away from it a bit.

I got some of WIP #2 rewritten, and have had about 2,000 words left to do for the last week.

So for May:

1) Resolve the quote issue. This will either be quick ("Here's a check!") or slow ("Okay, I need to rewrite this whole chapter; when's the absolute latest I can get it to you?").
2) Finish the beginning chunk of WIP #2. It's very close, so I have no excuse here.
3) Re-synopsis WIP #1 (some details have changed, although the larger story arc is the same).
4) Incorporate beta feedback/revise the start of WIP #1. I'm hoping to send it to my agent sometime this month to get her impressions. (I may have to be drunk for a while after that.)

Writing energy and fairy dust to all! :e2fairy:

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
Good work!!

And then I'll have a story to tell when people come by AW and ask "How do I get permissions to use a quote?"

I've actually been wondering that for quite some time. Please share that when you know :)

April was a mixed bag. I got a lot of writing done but less writing done on my novel than I wanted. I got on a flash fiction bender and wrote at least 2 pieces every week plus novel words. But I managed to finish one fewer chapters than I wanted to.

However, I'm refocusing this month. And I'm going to get at least 10,000 words written of my novel. So that by the end of June, I'll have it done.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
April wasn't bad for me - I got around 2,500 words, which is the most I've done all year. Buuuuuuut the new target is to have the first draft done by the end of October, ahead of being able to write something new in Nanowrimo, so I am going to need to write significantly more if I want to hit that.

Here's hoping I can get around 10k this month - still a little under target but much more the pace I need to keep.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
April was so-so for me. I started out jumping between MS #1 and MS #2, getting nothing much done. The last few weeks I've been trying to focus on finishing MS#2. I've a beta reader for MS#1 so I will stop editing on that until I get their feedback.

Goal for May is to finish this first draft of MS#2.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Please share that when you know :)

Since you asked. :)

This actually resolved today, into the "how fast do you need me to revise it?" case. Which was not what I was hoping for, but it was certainly educational, and my publisher did what they could for me.

Basically: I was looking to use 52 words from a 1925 poem still under copyright. The first thing I found out: World English rights are held by two different entities, one in the US, and one in the UK. Both required you to submit a written request (email was fine). Tick, tock. (One even had a button you could click if you wanted the request expedited for a fee, which is a pretty strong suggestion that this isn't a speedy process.) Additionally, the UK rights holder didn't have any clear way to request usage for anything that wasn't print (like audiobook). None of this covers what we'd have to do if anyone ever translated the book.

We still could have pursued it, and worked out the knots as we went. But even if we could have established what we needed in a short enough timeframe...apparently this particular estate has something of a reputation. Whether that's due to expense, or due to the way the rights are fragmented, I don't know. I do know that it's absolutely their prerogative: this is their IP, and they have the right to dictate how it's used. I would be picky as hell if people wanted to quote my stuff.

But the bottom line is this might have worked out if I'd started pursuing the issue a year ago, but it's almost certainly not worth it at this point. We're talking about half a page (roughly) of discussion and dialogue. I'd have been happy to cough up some money to keep it as it is, but there's too much uncertainty here, and there are too many public domain works that I could use.

My advice: If you're going to quote something, even something well-known, make sure it's either public domain OR you're willing to deal with a lot of messy and expensive known and unknown complications, and do this before you write the scene. My biggest problem now is that there are phrases from the poem that trigger thoughts in some of the characters, so there's a lot of structural work I need to do to remove these 52 words. (I'd thought it was public domain when I used it. If he'd written it in '23 it would have been. Writers are so slow. :))

So that was my day: complications, disappointment, and looking up WWI poetry on Project Gutenberg. Happy May Day!

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! That's a lot to go through.

In Flanders Fields by John McCrae is a WW1 poem written in 1915, that is in the public domain. Idk if it's what you're looking for. But it might be.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Lizmonster, that was a really helpful post in #6. I had no idea what getting permission to for a single quote entailed. My May goals are so small that I feel embarrassed to report them, but I wanted to pop in and thank you, and Brechin, for this bit of discussion.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Liz - some useful info there. I can feel your pain. I had some song lyrics in one of my WIP - just a few lines - but decided to write them out, just in case.

Anna - there is no goal too small. Pop in any time, even if it's just to shoot the breeze. :greenie

Working on a new scene today. It's slow going, and I've no idea why. Darn characters don't want to behave.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So I rewrote today. Works better than I thought it would, but I'm letting it sit overnight before I send it back. I've been so used to reading it with the other quote, it's hard to get a good sense of how it reads.

I also got some back cover copy to approve, which I think is pretty much the same as the marketing copy, but I will dutifully read it over tomorrow.

And I'm thinking about SYW again. Which somehow feels more terrifying than anything else I've done.

Go, everybody! :e2cheer:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
April wasn't bad for me - I got around 2,500 words, which is the most I've done all year.

Well, May is not off to a good start, as a computer burp means I lost roughly 1,000 of April's words. So now trying to rewrite them. About eight hundred done over the past few days.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So! I rewrote the scene, and tweaked and edited, and ended up with something I rather liked. And sent it back.

And although the poem I chose was public domain in the US...it's not in the UK.

This is not funny anymore.

Tonight I am going to feel sorry for myself, and tomorrow I'm going to find something from Plato or Ovid or someone dead for centuries and use that.

Learn my lesson: NEVER QUOTE ANYTHING EVER. Full stop.

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
Good note.

I don't think I quote anything outright in my novel. (Thank goodness.) The closest I get is a paraphrasing of Mathematician Augustus De Morgan from his book A Budget of Paradoxes from 1872. I shall henceforth remember not to quote anything... At least not before doing extensive research on it's copyright.

I read something a while ago by Neil Gaiman regarding the use of song lyrics in his books... I'm going to see if I can find it.

FOUND IT:
Hi, Neil. I just have a quick question with nowhere else, at least visible, to turn. How does an unagented writer go about obtaining permission from a recording artist (or their management) to use excerpts of song lyrics in short works of fiction that they intend to (attempt) to publish? Much thanks in advance.

You don't go to the songwriter (unless the songwriter controls their own publishing). You go to the music publisher. You can normally find the music publishing information on a CD -- if you can't then you could search for the publisher through ASCAP -- Then you write to the publisher explaining what it is you want to do and asking how much it'll be.

In my experience it's usually about $150 per quote. (On the other hand, the people who control the song "Under The Boardwalk" said this week that seven words would cost $800 and it wasn't negotiable, and I thought for a moment, and changed

"Under the boardwalk..." he sang. "We'll be making love."

to

He sang. In his song he told them all exactly what he planned to do under the boardwalk, and it mostly involved making love.

which I liked better, and didn't cost anything.)

If musician-songwriters control their own publishing, it gets much easier (the cost of getting the Greg Brown song quote for American Gods was: I took Greg out for a nice sushi meal, which actually I regarded as a bonus).
http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2005/06/fathers-day-thoughts.asp

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, May is not off to a good start, as a computer burp means I lost roughly 1,000 of April's words. So now trying to rewrite them. About eight hundred done over the past few days.

Oh no! How horrible. :Hug2:

So! I rewrote the scene, and tweaked and edited, and ended up with something I rather liked. And sent it back.

And although the poem I chose was public domain in the US...it's not in the UK.

This is not funny anymore.

Tonight I am going to feel sorry for myself, and tomorrow I'm going to find something from Plato or Ovid or someone dead for centuries and use that.

Learn my lesson: NEVER QUOTE ANYTHING EVER. Full stop.

Yup, I feel the same, too tricky. Enjoy your evening of feeling sorry for yourself, and good luck finding a new quote.

Brechin
- I much prefer Neil's rewritten line to his original. Goes to show that sometimes what seems a problem, turns out to be a blessing in the end.

I'm working on a new scene today. Can report 329 words - go me!:e2cheer: (I'll probably delete half of them by the end of the day. :greenie)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I spent some time this morning trying to come up with somewhat obscure Shakespeare quotes that would work.

And then I decided if I was going to go obscure, I might as well write something original.

So I spent the afternoon writing poetry. (Note: I am not a poet.) I came up with some things that might work OK (I really only need 3-4 lines, not even necessarily contiguous), but I'll reread in the morning. If I decide then that it's awful, I'll go back to King Lear. (I love King Lear, but it's maybe bleaker than I want here.)

Was thinking about the issue of translations under copyright. At a friend's recommendation I found a lovely Russian poet, and although her work is old enough, the English translations I have are copyrighted. Makes me wonder if this is one reason we tend to see a certain set of works quoted frequently: Shakespeare, the romantic poets (Keats et al), all those Greek and Roman philosophers. Nothing wrong with any of them, but there's a world full of literature out there, and this makes me wonder how much of it, outside of an academic setting, ends up getting shoved off to the side just because of logistics.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
And it's spring! Or it's supposed to be - someone forgot to tell the weather in London that...

Anyway: I have a deadline of 1 October for the new horror WIP, and I've got edits on the latest amateur sleuth novel that is supposed to be coming out later this year. So, lots to keep me busy.

I'm still aiming for 3000 words a week this month. Falling short this week. Managed 710 this morning, and around 900 on Wednesday. Since I'm trying to allocate my weekend for edits on the other WIP, I don't think I'll make it.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shara good luck with the deadline. It sounds like you have an awful lot to do.:Hug2:

I spent some time this morning trying to come up with somewhat obscure Shakespeare quotes that would work.

And then I decided if I was going to go obscure, I might as well write something original.

So I spent the afternoon writing poetry. (Note: I am not a poet.) I came up with some things that might work OK (I really only need 3-4 lines, not even necessarily contiguous), but I'll reread in the morning. If I decide then that it's awful, I'll go back to King Lear. (I love King Lear, but it's maybe bleaker than I want here.)

Was thinking about the issue of translations under copyright. At a friend's recommendation I found a lovely Russian poet, and although her work is old enough, the English translations I have are copyrighted. Makes me wonder if this is one reason we tend to see a certain set of works quoted frequently: Shakespeare, the romantic poets (Keats et al), all those Greek and Roman philosophers. Nothing wrong with any of them, but there's a world full of literature out there, and this makes me wonder how much of it, outside of an academic setting, ends up getting shoved off to the side just because of logistics.

Good point, liz.

Here's hoping your poetry turns out not to be too awful. :greenie

-27 words today. As I'm editing, that's not bad. (Ok, I know it's not good, but I shall do better this evening.)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Shara, it was rainy and cold here today, too. My daughter is getting tired of having to bring a coat to school. And well done on the words!

Excellent edits, muse! And of course it's good. :) You can't tell edits by word count!

I sent Book 3 back for the third time, and this time it should hold. I used my own poetry, such as it was - I actually wrote two, and pulled a couple of lines from each. They may work in context. At this point, of course, it doesn't really matter. :)

I've had some good feedback on SYW, and I feel like I'm getting my sea legs on this WIP. My biggest question mark, though, is a POV shift that happens at Chapter 6, and there's no good way to get feedback on that via SYW. I may have to (gulp) trust myself.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
:stumbles in:

It's May already? Whoa.

April was great. I got everything done that needed to be done for Ever Touched's release. The print edition was delayed slightly, but that was okay, as very few people buy my paperbacks anyway (but it was awesome to see the book in print and hold it in my hands. Does that ever wear off? Cuz it was awesome!)

The main goal I have for May is to pick a novel to work on and get some progress on it. I have three that I'm considering. How will I choose?!

And reviews. I need reviewers like whoa. (If you know any that might enjoy my book, please let me know!) I've been emailing one a day. I have a grand total of one.

Also there are some non-writing things I let go that need to be done (cleaning my office, starting an exercise program, etc) so I'd like to get some of that done as well.

Liz - So sorry about the copyright thing. I knew it was a pain, but not that much of a pain, so that's great info. I actually think your poetry would add more to the scene anyway. Course I haven't read it, or the original...just my thought.

OSG - Sorry to hear about losing the words. :(

Shara - Good luck with the deadlines.

Brechin & muse - :cheers your progress:

Anna - Welcome! Come hang with us, goals or not!

I think that's everyone.

Last edited:

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shara, it was rainy and cold here today, too. My daughter is getting tired of having to bring a coat to school. And well done on the words!

Excellent edits, muse! And of course it's good. :) You can't tell edits by word count!

I sent Book 3 back for the third time, and this time it should hold. I used my own poetry, such as it was - I actually wrote two, and pulled a couple of lines from each. They may work in context. At this point, of course, it doesn't really matter. :)

I've had some good feedback on SYW, and I feel like I'm getting my sea legs on this WIP. My biggest question mark, though, is a POV shift that happens at Chapter 6, and there's no good way to get feedback on that via SYW. I may have to (gulp) trust myself.

Glad the poetry worked out.

As for POV shifts...I feel your pain. I have 6 POV shifts in the first 7 chapters.
:Jaw: - I think it works, but, like you, I have to trust myself.

:stumbles in:

It's May already? Whoa.

April was great. I got everything done that needed to be done for Ever Touched's release. The print edition was delayed slightly, but that was okay, as very few people buy my paperbacks anyway (but it was awesome to see the book in print and hold it in my hands. Does that ever wear off? Cuz it was awesome!)

Nope. My paperback is out almost 2 months and I still smile every time I spot my book cover. :greenie

Have written one scene today and fleshed out another. Getting close to the end now.

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
I've added some words. I'm not sure how many. I'm really just getting started tonight, but I've noticed that I write dialogue as though it were a contact sport.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well done, everyone!

I drafted a new synopsis today. It's incomplete in some parts and too wordy in others - basically, your typical first draft. But it was good to get it done.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Revised the synopsis. It's pretty close, I think. Did some edits of the text, but I'm avoiding the hairy bits. (Hey, it all has to get done, even the easy stuff!)