YA romance featuring people of color

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossword

Registered
Reaction score
Years ago some writers in my romance group told me they would love to read romance featuring people of color but these books just don't sell as well. American women want to see themselves in the heroine. They want someone they can identify with.

In the last year or so, there’s been a push from bloggers demanding diverse characters and POC [People of Color]. And agents are now asking for diverse stories and asking writers of color to query them with their stories about people of different ethnicities.

However, that doesn't mean readers will flock to read these books. Does anyone know if you’re still more likely to sell if you feature white protags?

i’m working on a YA PNR where I would like to feature MCs from India. I actually suspect it would be easier to get agents and publishers to read my work if I did make my MCs from India. However that doesn't mean they’d be more likely to rep or buy the work.

And even if I get a publisher I might not want them if they give a paltry advance. Sure, making the bulk of the characters Indian could make it easier to get a publisher but i’m way more interested in getting readers. Many romance writers say they earn more with self epublishing. So I could anyway self pub.

Many Goodreads reviews said they liked the fact that the heroine of The Love that Split the World was a native American.

So does that mean readers too are more or at least as likely to read romance, especially YA romance with POC?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Let's start by pointing out that YA romance and adult romance are different entities altogether. What the readers and editors of the adult romance genre want is very specific. YA romance has always been more flexible. It also doesn't have the same word-of-mouth marketing that adult romance does in the self-publishing market.

Also, when you say "American women" want to see people like them, you're making the assumption of "White American women," which truthfully is probably the main market for category romance (whether that's a bad thing is a different conversation). When you say "American women want to see themselves in the heroine," what makes you think that American WoC wouldn't also want to see that? That they don't also need someone they can identify with? Why would their desires be put on the backburner to white women's.

But what I'm really wondering is that agents and editors say they want books with PoC, and readers say they like reading books with PoC, so why are you doubting what they want?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Write the book and write it very well. The market changes over time and you need time to write it, so asking about the market today isn't relevant. Great romance sells. I don't think anything else matters in that.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's unfortunately true that readers *in general* tend to read more about people of their own backgrounds. However, if that means all writers chase the white middle-class, it follows that there's a wide-open market for books that address other backgrounds. And if the book is good, I suspect a lot of people will read it who aren't PoC, just because it's good.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I get the impulse to want to "see yourself" in the MC of a novel, but if readers weren't capable of doing that regardless of the MC's actual appearance, then self-insert fanfic wouldn't be a thing. Good story is good story and the idea that a character's race holds back success is a mistaken assumption that won't die.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
If it's a good story and it's well-written...then it shouldn't matter? But if the character's being from India is an integral part of the story, then it makes sense to have them from India. If you aren't Indian and you do a lousy job of representing what it's like to be Indian, than you'll be in trouble (imo).

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't affect my reading choices one way or the other. If an author choses everything else about a character, I like to think they chose the ethnic background because that fit the character as well.

In the book I'm reading now, Passenger, by Alexandra Bracken, the male character had a black mother and white father which plays an important part in the story. One of my favorite fun YA books was, The Doubt Factory by Paolo Bacigalupi. The main male character was black. It flowed. There wasn't anything specific to his ethnicity, but like all the Bacigalupi books I've read, he does ethic diversity well.

I had no knowledge of the ethnicity of the characters before I started reading the books and I can't say it had any particular impact on me as I read.

I guess my point is, it just shouldn't be forced.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I just got a review copy of "When Dimple Met Rishi", so the books are out there. I'm not going to say it's easy to get stuff published with marginalised characters. There are extra obstacles at all stages of the process. People with white characters don't usually have to worry that the cover will have someone of a totally different race, for example. But that's not the same as impossible.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Yes, it's unfortunately true that readers *in general* tend to read more about people of their own backgrounds. However, if that means all writers chase the white middle-class, it follows that there's a wide-open market for books that address other backgrounds. And if the book is good, I suspect a lot of people will read it who aren't PoC, just because it's good.

You mean that because I'm a white, straight, cisgendered American woman who has lived in the late 20th and early 2st century, I'm not supposed to read books with PoC protagonists, or to read books by and about people who are gay, transgendered, or male, or read books about people from other countries or time periods?

That would be so dull, and it would close off a lot of good books. And are most (white) people really so narrow that they can't relate to or get caught up in stories about people from different races or backgrounds?

I suspect the lack of diversity becomes sort of a self-perpetuating issue, actually. White people (and straight people and men etc) are rarely expected to read books about people who aren't like them, so it doesn't occur to them to be interested in other peoples' stories.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's important to consider how you are portraying ethnicity. A group of people in my story are discriminated against. What I didn't want was to have that group be a stereotypical minority aka, darker skinned.

But if I would have had my oppressed minority be white and everyone else of darker skin it would have come across as some obvious hokey message and that is not the story, not at all. In fact, I want the opposite, the oppressed minority are no different, not really. The only difference is circumstance.

So I have consciously addressed ethnicity by making my populations mixed. It's not ethnicity that determines your social position, but it is your DNA,in this case, your family line. Because when it comes down to it here today, that's actually what underlies ethnic discrimination. Genetically we are all one race. The genetic difference between dark skin and light skin is such a tiny unimportant fraction of our DNA, blacks and whites are no more different than a red head is from a blonde.

I say use ethnicity in your story. It's one more tool in the tool box. But don't use it as a gimmick, and don't be afraid of it if it belongs in the story.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I guess my point is, it just shouldn't be forced.

I say use ethnicity in your story. It's one more tool in the tool box. But don't use it as a gimmick, and don't be afraid of it if it belongs in the story.

When a book has a white character, people don't assume it's a gimmick. They don't expect the author to justify why the character is white. Demanding these things when a character is non-white is saying that white is the default, so there has to be a good reason not to write a white character. Which is part of the problem when it comes to getting these books published, because it sets restrictions on the kind of stories where non-white characters can appear.

There doesn't have to be an important reason for a character being non-white. It's not forced or a gimmick, anymore than it would be if the character was white for no special reason.

crossword

Registered
Reaction score
thanks, everyone. Interesting responses.

Polenth, kisses to you. Yes, why should white be the default? But you know very well that white IS the default.

At some point people of color want to tell our stories about our people. i’ve been studying articles about this and I agree with those who say we are pandering to the whites when we write white characters when we could be writing of our own ethnicities.

But we’re pandering for a reason. Thats what sells. To all who claim white people will eagerly read stories about people of color, I have this to say: I grew up in an Arab country and then in India. In both countries, the girls loved to read romance. Girls of color who were raised to believe in arranged marriages and waiting until marriage to have sex had no trouble at all identifying with white heroines who believed in neither.

Turn that around on its head. Do you think millions of white women would read stories about Arab or indian women and their cultural beliefs?

People of color have absolutely NO problem identifying with white characters. White people have trouble identifying with characters of color. You can argue this all you like. You know that, with some exceptions, this is true.

So I concocted this plan of deep and masterful cunning. Book 1 of my YA PNR series features a heroine who is half brown because her dad comes from this mysterious Asian island in the Indian Ocean. She’s one of triplets and each book focuses on the romance of each sibling.

But I made it clear the heroine looks white and grew up in the US.

In Book 2 I will intro an Indian girl from another universe where the Brits still rule India. She is wooed by both an Indian prince in her own universe and my American hero in our universe, who is one of the triplets.

So I am anyway going to intro at least two indian protagonists in Book 2 and more in Book 3.

but you see my genius? Book 1 was gonna be aggressively white. The Asian islanders are secondary characters.

I was gonna woo and entice white readers. They would start off with Book 1, which seemed safe and familiar to them with its white MCs.

Then, wham! I would spring on them the brown protagonists. once i’d got readers hooked, I would then sneak in the Indian protags in Book 2 so that by then readers would not even care about the skin color since they found the story interesting.

I sent my outline of Book 2 to a couple of betas and they liked it.

Now here is where my plan of deep and masterful cunning hit a snag: a couple of reviewers pointed out that Iona, heroine of Book 1, doesn't act American. Her refusing to have sex until marriage, her conservative dressing and speech, all make her sound more indian than western. She sounds like someone who comes from a conservative culture and of course that is because she was written by someone who comes from a conservative culture.

One beta suggested possible solutions. I think she had a couple of good ideas:

1. the triplets could be Indian, they grew up in india, but moved to the US by high school. This makes them ethnic but theyve had time to become westernized enough for american readers to relate to them.

2. the triplets are white Americans. At any rate they look white though they are half brown since they are half Asian. They grew up in India since their mom had a job there, then their white mom moved to the US for their high school years. This would make them technically American but with a more conservative and eastern way of thinking in many ways.

So my questions to you guys are:

please tell me honestly which would be the better solution. My feeling is it would be most likely to appeal to white readers if the triplets are white, look white, but grew up in india to explain why they behave like people who grew up in india.

Or is this just a cop out? Would people read this and snort: “Oh she just gave this explanation because she needed to make them white for mass appeal.”

and even if some do say that, so what? I do want mass appeal. What is the use of our writing our own ethnicities into stories that most people won't read? Doesn't it make more sense to write stories that people will read and then slip in the ethnic characters once they’re already hooked on the story?

Second possibility, that they are Indians who then immigrated to the US: might this work best? Do they even need to have immigrated? Could they not be living in India? Or would this make them sound too third world and therefore not as interesting to readers?

actually my hero Castor living in the US DOES help the story because I show that Kaya from Alt India sees him as a fascinating foreigner in a strange land.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
and even if some do say that, so what? I do want mass appeal. What is the use of our writing our own ethnicities into stories that most people won't read? Doesn't it make more sense to write stories that people will read and then slip in the ethnic characters once they’re already hooked on the story?

Again, if agents, editors, and readers are saying that they are actively looking to rep, publish, and read books with PoC MCs, why do you refuse to believe them?

There are at least three books on the YA hardcover NYT bestseller list with PoC MCs, including the #1 spot. The #3 spot, on the list for 45 weeks, has a movie coming out. Clearly readers had no trouble with a PoC main character.

please tell me honestly which would be the better solution. My feeling is it would be most likely to appeal to white readers if the triplets are white, look white, but grew up in india to explain why they behave like people who grew up in india.

Or is this just a cop out? Would people read this and snort: “Oh she just gave this explanation because she needed to make them white for mass appeal.”

When you're reading a book, you can picture the characters however you want, regardless of how the author describes them. I keep having to roll my eyes at myself at one book I'm reading where a guy has black hair that I've been picturing blond and a girl has silver hair that I've been picturing black. Maybe my brain will reevaluate its picture of them after a reminder in the book, or maybe not. What does this mean? If a reader absolutely has to picture a character as white to identify with them, they're probably going to whitewash them in their brain anyway. And you seem to think that it's a color thing that may keep your readers from identifying with your characters, but it's much more likely that the different culture will provide a barrier more than the color of their skin, and that knowing that they're Indian and seeing their different culture will have them picturing a non-white character, regardless of what you say.

Finally, in this particular time in publishing, I think you're looking to cause more problems for yourself by whitewashing your Indian characters. Right now, authors and readers are quick to bash any form of racism they see in YA books. If you write Indian characters and make them white, they will jump all over that. Assuming it's not rejected for that very reason at the agent and editor stage. They want PoC. Why would they choose a book with whitewashed characters?

Second possibility, that they are Indians who then immigrated to the US: might this work best? Do they even need to have immigrated? Could they not be living in India?
These are totally different books, IMO. Which is your book? Write that one.

crossword

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sage,

Thanks for your help in figuring out what I should make my characters. Yes agents do say they want POC but I havent heard READERS clamoring for it.

its only been in the last year or so that there’s been a push from bloggers demanding diverse characters and People of Color. That doesn't mean readers will flock to read these books.

i’ve had an idea about how I can make them indian but still look white. The reasons I think it would be an easier sell if they LOOKED white and even had American accents:

1. I badly want to make audio books of my novels. I even suspect I might be able to pay for everything myself since I would look for Indian voice artistes who can fake a good American accent. They’ll be much cheaper than American artistes.

I want the narration to be a pleasant experience for my readers and theres no doubt they find American accents far more pleasant than Indian ones. So, even if I did make them Indian i’m still highly tempted to say they attended high school in the US which is where they acquired the US accent. In fact Priyanka Chopra did do high school in the US and she fakes that accent for Quantico.

Doesn't that make sense? If I do produce audiobooks, isnt it simply a matter of common sense to ensure the narrator has a pleasing American accent? i’ve actually heard people warn not to narrate your own books if you have a non american or non brit accent.

And i’m really dying to produce audiobooks. If I make them and then people complain the accent wasnt that easy on the ear, i’ll be devastated.

2. most writers hope to sell film rights or at least get their work optioned. Will anyone want to make a big Hollywood film about POC? I suspect again they would have to fake American accents as Priyanka Chopra does in Quantico to make themselves sound more attractive to the American audience. But generally its quite tough to get Hollywood to make films about people of color because again they have to appeal to the widest market and that widest market is white. Its well known that Hollywood likes to white wash characters. They make even half-Asian characters like the ones in Cassandra Clare’s books, look white on screen. They often choose white actors to play the roles of brown people.

3. i’d like to do what some writers do and use Cafe Press or some such site to sell mugs, keychains, T-shirts, etc, with pics of my characters on them. I suppose people who might want to buy these would far prefer to see white faces, and blonde and red hair rather than darker faces and hair?

i’d also like to make picture books and graphic novels of my stories. Again, I suppose white characters would sell better?

Sure, the main story for teens and adults who read YA is more important than possible picture books and graphic novels. The main series i’m writing now is more important than considerations like which forms of merchandise would look the most attractive to western buyers. Still, I really like the idea of having my characters out there on merchandise too. I love the idea of commissioning dolls to be made. I believe studies have shown even little girls prefer blonde dolls to darker ones.

If I had dolls made, it would be easier to distinguish between the heroines if they all had different coloring. Iona could be the blonde, Kaya the black haired one, Iona’s sister could have red or chestnut colored hair. If theyre all Indian, they would most likely all have black hair. At the most one of them could have chestnut brown hair and hazel or grey green eyes, since some Indians do.

At one time writers never thought of these things. But today with sites like Cafe Press and others that make things for us, yes, writers do consider what would look most attractive to buyers. Call it ego or whatever, but it gives writers a sense of pride to know their creations are out there not just in the form of words but as actual objects as well, objects people enjoy looking at and using.

And I have had an idea about how to make them look white. At present Idylla is an Asian island but I could easily change that to, its an island near the Scandinavian countries. The ethnicity of the Idyllans isnt an important part of the story. They just need to be a mysterious utopia isolated by choice from the rest of the world.

So could I do it this way? Could I make them half Indian, having grown up in india, but went to high school in the US? And could I say their dad is Scandinavian or looks it, which would explain why they look white?

Yes I could still get complaints of white washing but I think this explanation sounds more natural than any others. After all, there are Indians who are half white.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You're really jumping the gun here. Focus on writing the books, your story, then getting the books published. Having dolls made and whether your character's accent is a problem for a movie or audiobook is so far removed from what you should ever worry about while writing your story. If you get to the audiobook stage and you or your publisher wants a "pleasing American accent," hire a reader that suits your preferences. But you are putting the cart so far ahead of the horse, the horse doesn't recognize what a cart is.

I'm not going to give you permission to whitewash your characters. I don't think anyone here is. If you're going to do it anyway--because you clearly have your reasons already set up in your mind, regardless of other evidence about the market, including the #1 best-selling YA book of the moment--you don't need our permission.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Sage. Write the book. Make it the best book you can. Then sell that book while you write the next one. Worry about the rest when it's realistic.

Also, you're selling the American reader short. If agents and editors want the books, they sure believe the audience is there. Otherwise they're wasting their time and money. Not good for business. Perhaps you should think more about being true to your story and yourself and less about how society is against you. That might be a self fulfilling prophecy because truth sells.

neurotype

New Fish; Thick Scales
Registered
Reaction score
Well, when they put Angie Thomas' The Hate U Give on its separate display shelf a couple months ago, those shelves were nearing empty. Say what you want about readers not clamouring, but they totally were in this case. Everything, Everything just came out as a feature film, and The Hate U Give is going into filming shortly. People are putting their money down for these books, and they're NYT Bestsellers. At least in the US, we are now in a political climate where a lot of folks (mainly white people) were surprised by the electoral outcome. It's making people seek out different perspectives. They want to understand. I see this all the time in my political groups. Agree with the other commenters though that you need to write YOUR book. You can't edit around what may or may not sell because you'll drive yourself crazy. The market will always change, and often change based on whatever becomes zeitgeist at the time. Look what Twilight did to break open YA Paranormal Romance. No one saw that coming, and now I bet there's a lot less interest. But it dominated the genre for a decade. i honestly believe we are in a new decade of expanding what's considered normal and giving a well-deserved spotlight to characters from different backgrounds.

Last edited:

loose leaf

Registered
Reaction score
There is a huge demand for #ownvoices. You don't have a higher chance of getting published by writing of POC unless you're a POC, too. People want authenticity and a wider representation of authors, not just characters.

Adelle

Registered
Reaction score
You seem very concerned about making merchandise and audiobooks, etc. If you have a good story to tell, and you tell it well, it doesn't matter if there are any white people in it or not.

My top three favorite books growing up as a teenager (target audience for YA)? Island of the Blue Dolphins, The Rats of Nimh, Watership Down.

How many white characters total in those books? Zero. People will empathize with anything as long as the characters are likeable and the story well written. :3

My favorite TV show within the last 10 years? Avatar the Last Airbender (a show targeting 10-21 year olds, basically a YA audience). How many white characters? Zero. Everyone is of East Asian descent--Indian, Japanese, Chinese (or Inuit).
And this show blew up in popularity. Shirts. Spin-off books. Video games. All that lovely merchandise.

I disagree with your general statements about what readers want. Most people want a good story with likeable characters. Any form, any medium--if it's good, people will buy it. People will buy the merchandise. If you feel passionate about your characters, if you have a story to tell, then you should tell it. Passion for your project will shine through to the pages--there's a big difference between someone who wrote a story for a buck and someone who writes from the heart. I know that sounds corny, but I've seen the difference first hand. And most readers (especially agents and publishers) will see it too.

tl;dr:
Write your book with passion, give your audience the benefit of the doubt, worry about merchandise afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.