Is there such a thing as Horror Romance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I have a hankering to read a book that scares me to pieces, but also provides a romantic fix-with happy ending for the couple involved. Maybe some nookie. Any recs?

ETA: the second ALien film, but Ripley falls for the soldier and they both survive to live happily alien after? LOL

Last edited:

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
I've been tinkering with the idea of a vigilante and a serial killer falling in love. Dexter meets Batman. Nothing has come of it yet, though.

You might find something to feed your fix in dark fantasy romance. Haven't read any yet, so can't suggest any books. I'm sure GR peeps have a list for it!

Haunted_October

Ready to kick the WIP's butt!
Registered
Reaction score
Horror Romance is definitely a thing :)

Goodreads has some great lists, and if you Google the term Horror Romance with Sci-Fi elements some good recs will come up as well.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
I have definitely read and heard of a genre called 'Romantic Suspense'. Not really horror, but fraught with tension. If I can remember any names of authors I've read, I will chime back in.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I have definitely read and heard of a genre called 'Romantic Suspense'. Not really horror, but fraught with tension. If I can remember any names of authors I've read, I will chime back in.

Sorry for late response! Romantic suspense isn't what I'm looking for, alas, though suspense is inherent in horror. I want monsters and gory stuff, aliens who want to eat people or psychos who make me jump while my MCs kick arse and fall in love. Maybe the monster falls in love? Sexy times a bonus. I'm weird.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Look up Mary Stewart. Lots of newer romantic suspense authors, too.

Don'tknowwhyIsuddenltycan'tdospacesagain.Sorry.IreadMSwhenIwasinmyteens.Goodstuff,butnotlookingforromanticsuspense.:)

- - - Updated - - -

Horror Romance is definitely a thing :)

Goodreads has some great lists, and if you Google the term Horror Romance with Sci-Fi elements some good recs will come up as well.

Great! Thanks for the tip. Will do! :)

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I've been tinkering with the idea of a vigilante and a serial killer falling in love. Dexter meets Batman. Nothing has come of it yet, though.

You might find something to feed your fix in dark fantasy romance. Haven't read any yet, so can't suggest any books. I'm sure GR peeps have a list for it!

I'd read that, probably, if you one day wrote it. I do want to be freaked out, scared but yet immersed in the characters' blossoming romance while I shiver with all the lights on.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Kicking monster ass and falling in love sounds more like paranormal romance, maybe? If so, there's a ton of it out there, with lots of nookie.

I recently wrote what I consider a horror romance novella, where the guys who fall in love have to deal with the horror of someone close to them dying, being undead, at first seeming lifelike, then deteriorating into a zombie over the course of a few days. Might not be scary enough for what you're looking for, though (although bits of it are kind of horrific, at least to me).

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
Joely Sue Burkhart has book with a "in love with a serial killer... or is he?" theme: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T3JY3LG/?tag=absowrit-20

I haven't read it, because tbh the premise creeps me out. But I've read a few of her other contemporaries, and IMO she handles the power dynamics of BDSM and menage relationships much better and more honestly than most.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Kicking monster ass and falling in love sounds more like paranormal romance, maybe? If so, there's a ton of it out there, with lots of nookie.

I recently wrote what I consider a horror romance novella, where the guys who fall in love have to deal with the horror of someone close to them dying, being undead, at first seeming lifelike, then deteriorating into a zombie over the course of a few days. Might not be scary enough for what you're looking for, though (although bits of it are kind of horrific, at least to me).

Thanks! Paranormal Romance doesn't scare me (none so far, anyway) and I want to be terrified. I want Psycho, Halloween, Alien, Silence of the Lambs... in terms of 'feeling', but I also want romantic/sexy thrills. PNR, Romantic Suspense, aren't strong enough 'hits'. Lol.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Joely Sue Burkhart has book with a "in love with a serial killer... or is he?" theme: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T3JY3LG/?tag=absowrit-20

I haven't read it, because tbh the premise creeps me out. But I've read a few of her other contemporaries, and IMO she handles the power dynamics of BDSM and menage relationships much better and more honestly than most.

Just checked it out on Amazon bc I recognised the author name. Duh, the book was released by one of my publishers! I'll download a sample and see how it goes. Thanks for the rec!

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
Goodreads has a lot of zombie romance.

I recently read a horror/romance novel called Dead of Eve by Pam Godwin. It's about a future where a lot of humans get transformed by some disease into monstrous insect creatures. They're really horrifying. The MC is female, and every man she meets falls madly in love with her. Compelling reading.

Evelyn_Alexie

Registered
Reaction score
Last Hour of Gann, by R Lee Smith. She describes herself as a horror writer, but that story has a romance in it.
A spaceship crashes on an alien planet and the survivors don't get along with each other or the inhabitants of the planet they're on.
Warning: the story has graphic violence, graphic sex, and graphic violent sex. A comedy, it ain't. But I would still call it a romance.

Status
Not open for further replies.