MayNoWriMo 2017 - The Lusty Month of May (Tra La La)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
giphy_2.gif

Tra la, it's May! (Mad props to anyone who can identify the source of this month's title quote.)

Congratulations to everyone who achieved their April CampNaNo goals (and condolences to those who, like me, fell short). S'mores all around!

It's a bright new month and time to set our goals. As usual, I'll get us started off. My main goal is to finish the clean-up of my current draft of Book #4 in my series - I got a good start last month and probably have about another 60K to go.

1. Complete revision/rewrite of Book #4 - currently at 53,875
2. Explore NYC with at least two jaunts to places I've never been
3. Read five books
4. Write at least one blog post
5. Continue reading at least three "My Writing Day" essays from The Guardian series per week
6. Submit a short story to at least one market

So...what are YOUR goals for May?

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
1. Read two books
2. 3 2 blog posts
3. Rewrite/edit to 50% of my novel (currently about 25%)

I'm going to leave it at that for now and see how I go. I kind of need time to recover after April.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! May goals:

1. Finish 1st draft of DRINK FOR THE DEAD (estimating 20K words to go).

2. Start edit/rewrite of THE AMERICAN AJAX--finished 1st draft March 8th, so it's been resting for almost two months.

3. Submit a short story to at least one market (inspired by--okay, outright stolen from--mrsmig).

4. Participate in Beta Project 2017.

Last edited:

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! My goal is to write a complete first draft of a Romance novel (75-80K? Maybe?) that I just started planning three days ago. It's been a long time since I just let myself play at writing, and I'm a little giddy. :)

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
No props for me, alas; I had to Google :)

Carrying a few things over this month, as per usual.

May Goals:
  • Clean my office.
  • Continue running.
  • Finish formatting a manual.
  • Make some webpage updates.
  • Do a writing exercise (at least flash length) every day.
Constant Goals:
  • Changing sleep cycle (focus on getting to bed earlier).
  • Write 1K words a day (currently at 17/52 weeks).

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
3. Submit a short story to at least one market (inspired by--okay, outright stolen from--mrsmig).

No trademark or copyright on that goal. Good luck!

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
1. Finish an acceptable revision on Act II of my novel and move onto Act III, which, if there's a god, will move much faster.
2. Finish the outline of my memoir that my agent has requested I resubmit and probably start revising the manuscript itself.
3. Get the news on my friggin' work permit so I can stop biting my nails about it and actually concentrate on being creative.
4. Send at least one freelance pitch, which I've been neglecting.
5. Finish reading the Ian Rankin mystery tome that I started god knows how long ago.
6. Set up a networking meeting.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
I is DOWN fo' dis bidness!! :D I already miss my sweet, sweet cabin so I'mma need y'all to chatter-chatter please? :)

Goals:
1. Finish the second, and hopefully middle, part of my current project, because it's been two months now and that's no bueno. (Estimated 15k words remaining.)
2. Write at least twenty (20) pages in my swanky old notebook that desperately needs finishing as well.
3. Use quad-colour, four-in-one pen more often!! :D
4. Read a book, damn it!
5. Social-media-ify to build online presence and make friends.

I think I'll keep it to a mere five (5) goals this month, maybe expand if good things happen! G'luck everyone, you can all do all the things you aim for if only you put your butt down and DO 'EM!! :D Remember, I'll be watching..... ;)

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
2,147 words today. I've finished scene 1, and now I'm going to outline scene 2 in front of the TV so it'll be ready to go for tomorrow.

I'm so happy and relieved this thread exists. :) I haven't been able to do NaNo proper for many years since November is just the absolute worst month for it for me, so it's really nice to be doing this and not feel like I'm going it totally alone.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, lianna!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm expecting I won't get a chance to write until mid May, but once I get to, I'd like to do 2,000/day. More if possible, to make up for the time lost.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
I have another goal to add :eek: : 6. Refamiliarise myself with the middle of my project and create a scene list already. Grrr!

Brikkin

Registered
Reaction score
I love that movie! My mom watched it constantly when I was a kid. I know most of the songs by heart.

I don't have much to add here, except to say I started my current project 2.5 years ago with NaNoWriMo, and I'm about to start querying. It's doubled in length since then.

Wheeee!

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
Day 2, and I'm up to 5,630 words and two chapters done. And I'm having a blast with it. :) This is something outside my usual genre, so I have basically no expectations of myself other than to write as quickly and cleanly as I can.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love that movie! My mom watched it constantly when I was a kid. I know most of the songs by heart.

I don't have much to add here, except to say I started my current project 2.5 years ago with NaNoWriMo, and I'm about to start querying. It's doubled in length since then.

Wheeee!

Aha, clearly Brikkin has identified the source of the quote (it's a lyric from the musical CAMELOT). Well done and welcome, Brikkin!

KillerKoala

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! I'm hoping to finish my outline this week, and complete 3 chapters (around 12.000 words) of a first draft. Should be doable

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the thread (and to AW), KillerKoala. Let's crush those May goals!

Brikkin

Registered
Reaction score
Aha, clearly Brikkin has identified the source of the quote (it's a lyric from the musical CAMELOT). Well done and welcome, Brikkin!

Hate to nitpick here but you clearly misspelled CAMELOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! :p

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
My scene list is coming along. But I wrote almost nothing yesterday and actual nothing the day before. Someone, kick my butt pls!!! :eek:

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
Damoclian, what time zone are you in? Would be up for some word sprints tonight, or some other night? I'd be happy to make a word sprint date with you, if that would help kick your butt!

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score

Just put it on my tab!!!! :D I have a feeling there may be a whole bunch before the end of this month :eek:

Damoclian, what time zone are you in? Would be up for some word sprints tonight, or some other night? I'd be happy to make a word sprint date with you, if that would help kick your butt!

I am in southern Ontario, Canadia. Is that EST? How would you propose we sprint these words? What medium of commune with the literary gods shall we establish? Just, like here? Or should we use an IM service? The ol' AW IRC maybe?? Options abound!

Sara K.

Registered
Reaction score
Bit late, but after getting miserably behind in April, I needed a few days to lick my wounds and recalibrate.

1. Finish 1 story
2. Edit Hesse story when critique comes back
3. Read 1 book
4. Spend 2 hours on Viable Paradise application

I realise these are small goals, but I'm really struggling with writing recently, and want something I can achieve for now so frustration doesn't beat me. A few non-writing related, but sci-fi related goals:

1. Plan some reading and relevant texts for con panel
2. If guest details become available in May, contact relevant people

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
I am in southern Ontario, Canadia. Is that EST?

Yes! I am on the NH/VT border in the US, so we are in the same time zone. :)

How would you propose we sprint these words? What medium of commune with the literary gods shall we establish? Just, like here?

I was thinking just here. We could agree on a start time, check in here five-ish minutes before, then post GO! and write for however long we agree on (I'm thinking 20 minutes) Then we each post how many words we got.

The loser is beheaded! Or not.

And anyone can join in, obvs.

Status
Not open for further replies.