Dragon fruit

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I saw one of these at the local grocery this week, and just couldn't resist it. I have now learned it is a cactus fruit, and there are several varieties. The one I got, I believe, is also called a "white pitaya"; it is red and bumpy on the outside, but supposed to be white, with edible black seeds on the inside. The texture is supposed to be similar to that of a kiwifruit. I'm going to slice it open tonight, and find out. Anybody here ever eat one?

caw

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yah - they're good, and very pretty! :)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
There are red- and white-fleshed dragon fruit. I don't think it has much of a flavour, but that could just be me. Around here, it's often paired with mangoes. A local yoghurt manufacturer makes dragon fruit & mango yoghurt, and one of the big mango farms, which also produces fruit liqueurs, has a very nice dragon fruit cello.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Very mild flavor. Made the mistake of eating one as is and dribbled black seeds everywhere. Which are a wee bit itchy if they dry on your skin and resemble fleas if you're paranoid...

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Very mild, kind of like a melon. Not really to my liking, but I'm particularly about melons.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is a very mild flavor so don't combine it with anything too strong. I generally throw it into a fruit salad with melons and kiwi.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
The taste is, unfortunately, not nearly as interesting as the appearance.