I wrote a scene in my McCarthy-era story in which a character says "It's not my first rodeo." As I do every time I write a colloquialism* like this, I immediately questioned its authenticity to the period. I did a little research, and sure enough, this phrase is most likely to have entered mainstream popular culture in the movie Mommie Dearest in 1981, and then in a country song in 1990.

Now, Mommie Dearest is about Joan Crawford, who was more or less a contemporary of the character I gave the line to, but that's not really a convincing enough connection to justify my character's use of the phrase. So I'm cutting it.

LE SIGH. I really liked the exchange, the rodeo line and the other character's response to it. But it's got to go.

So here we are: Have you ever fell in love with an anachronism and known with deep regret that you would have to kill it?

* As another matter, I find this character uses too many expressions of this sort, and I'm cutting them wherever I run across them and giving her less canned-sounding ways of expressing herself. So really I have two good reasons to get rid of this line.