Trying to understand agent's advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPhatecraft

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
In large part, because of self publishing authors, filling up the ranks of amazon, where the unsuccessful ones are practically giving away their work for free and retraining readers to be accustomed to a lower standard of output.

Oh yes. Because we have all this "low standard stuff" from self pubs like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WBTLL60/?tag=absowrit-20

As opposed to the INCREDIBLE work coming out of the corporate publishing houses, like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043RSJLI/?tag=absowrit-20

If you want publishers to be artistic, to take risks and chances and go out on a limb, don't self publish, because you're contributing to the rat race. Find a niche or specialty publisher, and buy books from them instead. Support the industry and it will support you. If you don't want to support it then fine, but don't complain when it then cannot help you​either.

I consider small press to be indie publishing as well as self publishing. Both have their merits and bother beat the hell out of the big five.

HPhatecraft

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thank you so much! This is always wonderful to hear.

- - - Updated - - -

wow this thread is getting a little intense.

I'm not against self publishing. I also don't think traditional publishing is the end-all be-all. There's room for both.

I personally am not interested in self-publishing at this time. Maybe in the future, maybe not. The thousands of dollars spent to self-publish mentioned above is something I do not have and will not have anytime in the near future. I am also NOT going into this to make money. That way lies failure and futility. I am writing because I enjoy it, and because I want my novels to be read by people who need or want them. But yes, I'd like to make money by doing this. Everyone wants to make money doing something they enjoy doing.

I don't enjoy currently working two warehouse jobs in order to make enough money for rent and daycare and groceries and everything else. I don't enjoy getting maybe an hour a day to actually do some writing because the rest of the time I'm working or driving or taking care of my toddler and wife. But I do savor all the time I write. I love to write.

But my goal is to get an agent and get a publishing contract from a traditional publisher. Self publishing is not for me, especially at this time. I have no idea where I'd even begin trying to market or do all the other things besides the whole writing thing. I will currently play to my strengths. And that is writing.

I'm not saying you have to SP or go with a small press. I'm just saying that after you hear a bunch of crap from pros and get conflicting remarks (one agent will say you need more emotion, another will say you are too sentimental etc) there comes a time when you have to say "ya'll can go skinny dip in a septic, I'm happy with my art."

Focus on writing the best novel possible and being the best artist that you can. The rest will fall into place one way or another.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Yes, *overall* low standards. If you want to put out industry-quality material, you generally have to spend a proportionate amount of money to be suitably edited. Not everyone can do that - I couldn't, not for the level I'd need. Exceptions don't make a rule, and that is surely perfectly obvious.

Just watching a friend go through the trad pub route, and not only did her agent put her through extensive edits but so did the editors. It was a decent book before, but there's a mile of difference between how it started and how it is now after all that professional input. Yes, she perhaps could have done that on her own, eventually, or forked out for freelance help, but it'd have taken years to do solo or a few grand with a hired pro.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Sports are competitions with definite winners and losers. Writing is an art. Therefore, that comparison is invalid.

You may think writing is an art; to me, it's a job of work. I write, people pay me. It's just honest work.

And I've read countless books that do nothing but tell readers things through long winded exposition. The response is usually "but that's an already successful author!" It shouldn't matter how famous the author is. If it stinks, it stinks.

First, I think you're not really understanding what show don't tell means.
Second, like so many of the pieces of advice trotted out as rules, "show don't tell" is usually wrenched out of all context and presented as a rule. It's not a rule; it is at best a guideline condensed to a an idiom.

Ultimately everyone, from a someone who reads one novel a year and never wrote anything to the most overpaid head of the biggest corporate publishing house in New York, only has their opinion. One person's junk is another's amazing writing.

Well, yes, in that individual taste is individual taste, but putting my literary scholar hat on, no, because we do have agreement in the case of thousands of works, in multiple languages, that there's stuff and there's good stuff and bad stuff and really amazing stuff that lasts for ages.

Even thousands of years.

Also, I assure that people who actually work in publishing, even high-up muckety mucks like say John Warner, aren't making anything like the amount that people think they're making.

Working in publishing, with rare exceptions like Rupert Murdoch, is not going to make you rich. Even if you're a senior editor at a big 5. You're making less in a year than the authors you work with make in a single advance. By a lot. Someone working in IT at a management level for any large university or Fortune 500 company will make considerably more. Agents often make considerably more, if they rep the right author(s). People who are involved in the making of books are primarily there because they love books; they're not making money at anything like the rate people often think.

Really: do you think Twilight was a flawless piece of fiction? No. But an agent and a publisher saw dollar signs and sent it to print and it was a best seller, even though it was trash in my opinion.

Likewise, I've read a lot of self published Amazon ebooks that are amazing, but don't sell many copies and the big wigs in NYC wouldn't like them. It's all subjective.

I think Twilight was an book that many people enjoyed. I don't think it will be read with so much enjoyment in fifty years, but I also know that very few people readLewis' The Monk outside of college classrooms, and it had roughly the same level of popularity as Twilight's 2005 status in c. 1796. It was also decried as garbage, and for "corrupting the youth."

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Read my signature.

The odds of making yourself into a Florence Foster Jenkins are by far less likely than the odds of making a go in any sort of publishing. She's literally a one-off, counted over decades of people who also wanted their shot and never got it. She also knew that she didn't have mainstream talent, but she liked attention. (Her actual name being Narcissa is something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.) That's not something to strive for.

Oh yes. Because we have all this "low standard stuff"

You misunderstand where the actual bar of the standard sits. Most people who never get out of the slush with agents are stuck in the mired 98% because of things so elementary as to be rudimentary.

They can't spell, or put a sentence together. They can't or won't follow industry guidelines. They're literal copyright violations of other works.

Most people aren't capable of self-editing. We tend to read what we intend, rather than what's on the page, leaving gaps, or misused words that can confuse and frustrate a reader. When someone says that a chunk of self-pubs are low quality, they don't mean "I didn't like the story." They mean "Did this person turn off their spell check???"

When a publisher buys a book, they invest the time and professional skill required to present the book as its best self. They know the little details that most readers take for granted, but many writers overlook. And when someone who hasn't taken the time to properly prepare their MS tries to get around that by lowering their price over and over, then others see this tactic and do the same, they dilute the pool for everyone.

A book can have an amazing plot and still be atrociously written. It can be atrociously written and still have people find it enjoyable. It's a fairly common beginner's exercise to take an existing book and rewrite it cover-to-cover in the way *you* would have written it, rather than the way the actual author did.

HPhatecraft

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
No more subjective than the winner of the World Series. There are successful books and unsuccessful ones.

No, the World Series has a definite winner and a definite loser. Art is subjective.

I feel like you're missing the point. You said there's no point listening to industry professionals. I said there was. You said professionals shouldn't care if a writer is famous or not. I pointed out famous writes have fans, and somehow here we are. King wants to shop a book, it will be snapped up immediately, because it will sell, regardless of what you think of it.

First, I didn't say professional opinions shouldn't be listened to at all. I am just saying that they are not the be all, end all. They are about money first, art a distant second. I am about art first. And even professionals will disagree.

I don't know who's defining "authentic piece of art" here but nor do I know how we got to discussing authentic pieces of art from discussing the publishing business.

Publishing is a business, writing is an art. The two are connected.

Well, similarly to how someone posted a thread calling sports art, you can feel writing is. I think it's a job. I like it when people pay me to work, thanks.

And people who are not bound by NYC still get paid, just as musicians get paid even if they are indie.

Sports has nothing to do with writing. Music is a much better comparison. The big publishing houses are looking for the next Kesha to score them a hit. Kesha (or "Ke$ha") had a hit with that GOD AWFUL "Tick tock" song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6XpLQM2Cs

Are you really going to argue that's a song that's a "piece of art"?

Know what made the artist money, but WASN'T a big hit? The Dutch band The Gathering's cover of the Dead Can Dance classic "In Power we Trust the Love Advocated": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VBc4OajRUM

If I had a choice if making a few million being the literary equivalent of Kesha, or just getting by being the literary equivalent of The Gathering, which would I chose?

That's entirely your prerogative, but there's no need to frame it that way, what with the beg and plead crap. Publishing is a business. There's nothing wrong with that. Some of us choose to engage in that business on the trade side. If you prefer to self-publish, good for you. No one here is denigrating that choice, so why denigrate someone else's?

I'm not. I'm just against the whole corporate publishing business that is basically at war with art.

By that standard, Twilight is a good novel.

To some it may be, but certainly not me. It was extremely commercial and I am pretty much against commercial novels.

I'm pretty "punk rock" about the whole literary thing. Just as the punks realized that anyone who could master three cords could start a band and later, the industrial musicians realized they didn't need to learn ANY cords to start a band but just needed to put sounds together in such a way that would be pleasing to a given number of people, authors are realizing they don't necessarily have to follow any corporate model for commercial fiction.

Just as Black Flag, KMFDM and Fields of the Nephilim made some money while being groundbreaking innovators who didn't want or need the approval of the corporate music world, there are plenty of new, groundbreaking authors who follow a similar punk ethic and are making some money (but not tons) And just as every musician sooner or later has to either embrace some piece of being punk and say "I'm going to do what my art what I want to create art, boardroom be damned!" or give in to the big wigs, sooner or later every authors is going to have to either give in to New York or stand their ground and say "I'm making art."

It is not a hard "yes or no" answer, but the dynamic does exist in every artist, from JK Rowling to an indie-horror author like myself.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Could we please end this hijack? It seems disrespectful to the OP, and it's definitely not on-topic.

HPhatecraft

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The odds of making yourself into a Florence Foster Jenkins are by far less likely than the odds of making a go in any sort of publishing. She's literally a one-off, counted over decades of people who also wanted their shot and never got it. She also knew that she didn't have mainstream talent, but she liked attention. (Her actual name being Narcissa is something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.) That's not something to strive for.

Ah, I did not say anyone could be Florence Foster Jenkins. I am talking about the quote itself. The quote is about being AUTHENTIC. Anyone can be their authentic self.

You misunderstand where the actual bar of the standard sits. Most people who never get out of the slush with agents are stuck in the mired 98% because of things so elementary as to be rudimentary.

They can't spell, or put a sentence together. They can't or won't follow industry guidelines. They're literal copyright violations of other works.

Bull. I've known great writers who couldn't get out of the slush pile, and I've read SP artists who are fantastic, as well as small press that is awesome.

It's like film making. Was "Paranormal Activity" filled with "rudimentary mistakes"? If not, why didn't it get a big studio behind it? And I guess "Jem and the Holograms" was a fantastic film. After all, it had a corporation behind it.

Most people aren't capable of self-editing. We tend to read what we intend, rather than what's on the page, leaving gaps, or misused words that can confuse and frustrate a reader. When someone says that a chunk of self-pubs are low quality, they don't mean "I didn't like the story." They mean "Did this person turn off their spell check???"

My first SP novel as at a professional editor's office right now. And I've read plenty of corporate novels that are also error filled messes.

When a publisher buys a book, they invest the time and professional skill required to present the book as its best self. They know the little details that most readers take for granted, but many writers overlook. And when someone who hasn't taken the time to properly prepare their MS tries to get around that by lowering their price over and over, then others see this tactic and do the same, they dilute the pool for everyone.

Yes, because the Big Five produce so much quality fiction like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043RSJLI/?tag=absowrit-20

The corporate world is in it for money, nothing more. They couldn't care less about art.

A book can have an amazing plot and still be atrociously written. It can be atrociously written and still have people find it enjoyable. It's a fairly common beginner's exercise to take an existing book and rewrite it cover-to-cover in the way *you* would have written it, rather than the way the actual author did.

"Atrociously written", unless it refers just to spelling and grammar, is very subjective. I think GRR Martin can't write, but that doesn't stop others from thinking he does. Whose opinion is more valid?

Last edited:

HPhatecraft

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Could we please end this hijack? It seems disrespectful to the OP, and it's definitely not on-topic.

My point to the OP is that just because ONE professional says something doesn't mean it is 100% true. It COULD be true, but they themselves, and their industry, is not flawless.

It's something I wish someone would have told me when I got ten rejections for my first short story. I then submitted it to a random small press...and it was accepted, and I didn't even change anything.

All I am saying is that writing is ultimately an art form and that all art is subjective and that an artist should not beat themselves over the head for something that may not even be a problem.

And I'm sorry if I am getting off track, it's just that I can't stand the "OBEY THE PROFESSIONALS AND BOW DOWN TO THE POWER OF NEW YORK!!!" attitude that some on this thread are showing. Agents and editors are not gods.

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
And I'm sorry if I am getting off track, it's just that I can't stand the "OBEY THE PROFESSIONALS AND BOW DOWN TO THE POWER OF NEW YORK!!!" attitude that some on this thread are showing. Agents and editors are not gods.

I don't see anyone implying any such thing. Wanting to be trade published is a perfectly legitimate thing, and bashing the industry as you are isn't helping anyone.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Okay everyone. Up off your knees. I've spoken to you about this before.

It's - unseemly. :granny:

Status
Not open for further replies.