My Journey Here

T.D. Dracken

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I've just recently got into writing as a pursuit around a month ago or so.

My story is kind of a simple one but indirect. For years I thought making games was what I was called to do. Nothing I ever did seemed to get off the ground the way I hoped it would... Eventually I got around to writing the lore for what I would hoped would be the next game project, that is if the one I was working on ever went anywhere. I had a problem with team members not following through with what they said they would do whether because they couldn't due to getting a job or just not doing it.

During crafting the lore I realized I was getting joy out of it that I hadn't felt since early on in my game dev efforts. I was writing down a story with the intent of writing a book to present the greater lore that could never be adequately put into video game. The entire history of a world from creation to tens of thousands of years later where the population of it has reached 142.3 billion people interacting with other space faring civilizations and the stage being set for a grand tale to begin.

So that's how I came to be here. Realizing that the task of trying to manage a bootstrap studio effort wasn't for me and deciding to pursue sharing my stories through writing rather than the limits of what can be presented in a video game. More accurately, a google search led me here but it's the destination that counts.

E. Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats for finding us, T.D. You'll get lots of help here in reaching your writing goals. Welcome.

Ehlionney

Vickichuuuuuuuuu
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you! I'm kinda working in the other direction, I've been slowly building a world for 16 years now and beginning to think I may have more of a place in writing lore for an RPG series than as an author lol. Either way I plan to continue writing my series, if I do ever do any kind of game stuff I'll just release the books as background to it.

Either way, nice to meet a fellow in-betweener lol

I take it from your description of the world that you write sci-fi? I mostly do dark fantasy with lots of magitech.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Mary Mitchell

Go down road, go pub.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome :snoopy: Reminds me of something I used to say to my sons: When you're trying to figure out what you should do career-wise, observe what it is you actually do. (My one son loved art, loved writing and loved writing and playing music--but his songs were the things he actually finished. He became a professional musician.)

T.D. Dracken

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Well, I guess I'll give a bit about the plot of my story to answer Ehlionney's questions and also because this is the first post I've had time for since I started the topic. In truth the timeline includes 2 series and room for a few stand alone books. The first series takes place in the early history of Corinth and the story I'm leading up to writing right now takes place far into its future.

Here's the basic summary of it. Adonai created Corinth and at the time there were only humans. They rose to great heights and in their pride they fell into rebellion. One family remained faithful and was hidden in a cavern along with all the animals that were meant to survive while "The Fire" occurred. Fire mixed with poisonous gasses rained down on the face of Corinth while earthquakes crumbled all other places of refuge. Once the vapors had lifted the cavern was opened and humanity again walked the face of Corinth. Time passed and again humanity began its fall as they became prosperous and sought to raise themselves up above their Creator.

One family remained "True of Heart" and so they were spared from "The Division". All the people's of Corinth were divided by form according to the nature of their fall after the beasts of the field, wood, desert, plains, and mountains but not after any animal that had scales, wings, feathers, or hooves. The unaltered people became the Creator's chosen people and were tasked with sharing the knowledge and advancement they were blessed, both scriptures and scientific, with the other races of Corinth. They became prideful and many came to view the beast-like races of Corinth as savages. These humans began conspiring amongst themselves to take over the human Kingdom of Promise and the pride and evil within their hearts began to manifest as Corruption. The Corruption twisted the humans granting them supernatural abilities ranging from increased strength to the ability to twist other beings and then bend them to the will of the corrupted. The kingdom split leading up to this. The northern kingdom split off into the Kingdom of Refuge while Corruption began taking hold in the southern kingdom. All who didn't convert were either executed or forced to flee. The exiles scattered themselves among the beasts of Corinth. Meanwhile as the Kingdom of Promise, now the Kingdom of New Light (though primarily known as the Kingdom of Corruption) fell further into corruption it began to manifest itself openly and without fear.

After their task or spreading the scriptures to all of Corinth the exiled Humans received the call to begin gathering to purge their homeland of Corruption. While they began gathering the Kingdom of Corruption unleashed upon the world its full might with the intent to conquer all of Corinth. While the beast nations were in the late iron age and had ships of sail the Kingdom of Corruption had at its disposal mass produced pressed steel weapons and armor, powered metal ram ships, Blight Dragons, Fel Gryphons, and all manners of other beasts twisted by corruption. The beasts begin sending forces to gather toward the middle of the continent where the Kingdom of Corruption is located in the hopes of cutting the onslaught off at the source.

This is where the series "Wings of Change" would begin. Shortly into this time a group of warriors are chosen out of those amassed and/or directed to aid in the fight against Corruption. These warriors, named the Rangers, are given powers to combat the minions of the Temptor and help both the beast armies and the human exiles level the playing field. At the conclusion of the war the Rangers, Human Exiles, and the Humans of Refuge leave Corinth on large space arcs. The Exiles because their former homeland was so tainted by corruption that they were being given a new home. The Rangers because with their powers and longer lifespans they would be regarded as kings and gods so rather than have their gifts taken from them, they too were given a new home. The Humans of Refuge were also given a new home as a reward so that they may be a people 'set apart'.

After they all left it was revealed that the Humans of Refuge left behind most of their knowledge for the beast humans of Corinth to learn. Many years later Corinth has grown into a thriving and advanced world with maglev trains hauling cargo at 300+ mph, towering buildings, flying cars, space colonies, and relations with other races out in the galaxy. The immediate area around Corinth and early and managed colony worlds have formed a confederation known as the Corinthean Central Government (CCG) while beyond them lies the Frontier. An area of space filled by Corinthian colonies that grew beyond the control of Corinth or the CCG to the point of being crime ridden, pirate infested, and all around dangerous areas of space that lie between Corinth and the rest of the galaxy.

Other unpleasant things can also be found out in the galaxy as well such as illegal genetic modifications, slave trades of various types, crime families, cartels, shadow brokers, pirate lords, a race divided against itself in constant feuds, hostile nations, and more. The plot of the book I'm working to now takes place during a time where many of the frontier worlds are being united under a mastermind/genetic scientist named Noroban (aka Bastard Cat) and the Blackthorn Pirates who began consolidating other pirate groups under their banner in response to Noroban's actions. The story revolves around the adventures of a band of sanctioned mercenaries and the action truly begins with their joining the war to prevent Noroban from conquering Corinth and realizing his twisted goal of engineering and planting his 'perfect race' of sentient dragons on Corinth.

This series, called The Drifters would actually begin with and cover the events surrounding the founding of the Drifters mercenary team.

I plan to write a stand alone prequel to Drifters later that would cover some major characters including Noroban's rise to power that will probably be called Shadestep.
To top it off when I'm done compiling them and flesh them out a lot more I intend to release my lore in some form or another as Drifters: Compendium.

Yeah... I think I might have gotten carried away there....

And that's just the start of the fun times. I'll make a point to get involved in the forums before I go into the story any further, IE make sure I'm posting things in the relevant forums.

Last edited:

Yarns

Registered
Reaction score
I've written a manuscript for a short game demo too, but the game fell through. Thanks for sharing your story, and welcome to the forums!