Climate March

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of marches lately, with today being the day for The People's Climate March in DC and other places. It's an exciting time.

I'm not in DC this weekend, but in Marquette, Michigan, where about 200 people in our town of 22,000 in the heart of Red Counties Upper Michigan turned out on a spectacular day to raise awareness about the reality of climate change.

Did anything go on in your neck of the woods?

c093e22c-eadb-4736-b802-44f9eb802b92_zpslyjkopmw.jpg

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boston is having a rally and march

Link

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I marched locally. It wasn't too large--maybe a couple hundred people--but it was peaceful. I spoke with some really positive folks. It was a good experience overall. I tweeted a picture of myself with my sign.

ETA: Oh, the march I attended was in Riverside, California.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The science march here in Sacramento was quite large, several thousand people I think. It wasn't as large as the Women's march, but it was bigger than I thought it would be when it was first announced. There were marches in other CA cities too, so it's encouraging that there was so much interest.

I didn't make it out to the climate march, but it's wonderful that people are sustaining the commitment to protest.

Which reminds me, I need to make some more calls this week, and I'm trying to decide what their focus should be. The tax plan? Climate change? Reduced funding for science and other agencies whose yearly budgets are probably less than a single presidential trip to Mar-a-Lago. Immigrant's rights?

Sigh, there are so many.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the Climate March would have been bigger if it hadn't occurred one week after the March for Science. I suspect that a lot of the people in last week's march were including climate change concerns in their reasons for marching.

Also, this is the first I've heard of this march, and I'm an environmental scientist. Considering that, that so many are marching is pretty impressive to me.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the Climate March would have been bigger if it hadn't occurred one week after the March for Science. I suspect that a lot of the people in last week's march were including climate change concerns in their reasons for marching.

I wondered this too. Unfortunate planning, I think.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
nice sign
Thanks! :)
The video coming out of the DC march is showing a huge crowd. Great job #RESIST movement!
Loved seeing the feed!
Sigh, there are so many.
We really need to pace ourselves. He's exhausting.
I was thinking the same thing, since the interests overlap.

Also, this is the first I've heard of this march, and I'm an environmental scientist. Considering that, that so many are marching is pretty impressive to me.
I didn't see nearly the press for this one as with the Science March. I was also wondering about the turnout.
I wondered this too. Unfortunate planning, I think.
I saw on the news that the date for the Climate March was set pre-election. In a way, maybe it was better to have them on consecutive weekends--not everyone was able to do the Science March, so they were able to show up for this one.

There will be other marches. Soon. As in May Day!

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
And now there's another big march in Seattle on Monday, the May First Action Coalition/International Workers' Day.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/M1ACSEA/about/?ref=page_internal

The May Day marches tomorrow are predicted to be very large. I'm going to the local one, if I can.

https://www.thenation.com/article/mondays-may-day-marches-could-be-the-biggest-in-years/

Back to the climate, this LA Times article is quite depressing. (And illustrates why we should all be marching against his environmental policies.)

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-climate-20170428-story.html

The fast clip at which the administration has eased environmental rules reflects how vulnerable many of the rules are after having been put into place administratively by an Obama White House that could not get consent from a resistant Congress.
But it is also a sign of the unprecedented sophistication and political organization of fossil fuel and related industries, which have nurtured for years a network of think tanks and politicians in preparation for this moment. That team of industry-supported activists now dominates the leadership of Trump’s environmental agencies, which have set about killing those rules in the hopes of boosting some U.S. industries.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Sigh, there are so many.

Seriously, where to begin any one day or another. I hate Sundays now because the march of morning news shows and the big headlines from the major papers just inundate me with one outrage after another. I'm left like a person whirling their arms trying not to lose their balance at the edge of a canyon. :(

I didn't see nearly the press for this one as with the Science March. I was also wondering about the turnout.

The Science March was super organized on social media. I didn't see any overarching organization for the Climate March. I didn't know it was happening until mid-last week. I know for sure our science march was very much climate-oriented, though.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I'm left like a person whirling their arms trying not to lose their balance at the edge of a canyon. :(

Seriously. I think so many of us feel the same way. I know I do, and the only thing that helps me is to do something (and I know you're doing lots of somethings). This is why I've only managed to write short things since the election. My brain feels as if it's going nonstop in all directions.

The Science March was super organized on social media. I didn't see any overarching organization for the Climate March. I didn't know it was happening until mid-last week. I know for sure our science march was very much climate-oriented, though.

There was definitely overlap. At the Science March, I had one sign for science and one for global warming, and there were several signs advocating for science at the Climate March. Social media does drive movements. The organizers for these marches would do well to really try to get the word out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

They did in our local science march, and many of the signs I saw mentioned climate change and ecological concerns. They could have been reused the following week.

I saw other signs in the science march too, though. One I remember is "Nurses rely on science," for instance.

I didn't hear about it as a distinct event until I had other plans for the weekend, but I agree. It's cool to see the interest being sustained.

There are so many things crying for attention right now.