Beta Project 2017

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'm very matter-of-fact and wordy when I beta, and I don't gush. So a compliment from me is a real compliment, not an attempt to soften the blow (when I receive crits, I am very suspicious of "compliment sandwiches"), but for the most part, I point out any problem I see, and then I explain so that the author can see where I'm coming from and make an educated decision about whether to accept the crit or not. I do worry that this is overwhelming for people, but I have several authors who seem to like me as a beta or critter, so I must not be too mean :Shrug:

I can confirm all of this as one of those "several authors" mentioned. :greenie Pointing out problems with reader POV = stronger story when we fix that stuff.

I tend to be a bit of a fangirl critter with lots of pointing out where I laughed or phrases I particularly liked (or ships I ship), but if something doesn't work for me, I make it clear about why it doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very matter-of-fact and wordy when I beta, and I don't gush. So a compliment from me is a real compliment, not an attempt to soften the blow (when I receive crits, I am very suspicious of "compliment sandwiches"), but for the most part, I point out any problem I see, and then I explain so that the author can see where I'm coming from and make an educated decision about whether to accept the crit or not. I do worry that this is overwhelming for people, but I have several authors who seem to like me as a beta or critter, so I must not be too mean :Shrug:

That sounds like a really good beta. :D How do you stop yourself from gushing when an MS gives you *~all the feels~* though?

Anywho...I just had the most pleasant surprise -- I messaged one of the people who had requested to beta my stewpid entry...and she said she was just about to message me as I'd requested to beta HER entry. Hehe. A match made in beta-reading heaven, thanks to Sage. <3

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Just a heads up--if you're lazy and do your crits in a PM window so you don't have to mess with reformatting from Word, and your computer crashes, you'll lose everything and have to start over. Guess who has two thumbs and learned this the hard way? *it me*

Unless your only feedback is "your writing is bad and you should feel bad", I don't think there is such thing as a useless beta!

Ex: I recently had a Beta who was basically Leslie Knope. She didn't really point out anything bad, and most of her comments were "I love this! I love that! OMG I'm glad so and so is back, I love her" and "OMG, I didn't see this plot twist coming!" and "I love so and so, I want to marry him"

While I prefer betas who can give me the bad with the good, it was still helpful for to cheerily point out what she liked, because it gave me an idea of what was working. Most of the moments she liked lined up with the moments my other less Leslie Knope-y betas like, and it's super helpful to see how your work reads for people across the board.

Oh man, I should have thought to ask for someone who could point out what's working, especially when it comes to humor. It's weirdly easy to forget to note the bits you really like.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Just a heads up--if you're lazy and do your crits in a PM window so you don't have to mess with reformatting from Word, and your computer crashes, you'll lose everything and have to start over. Guess who has two thumbs and learned this the hard way? *it me*

Oh man, I should have thought to ask for someone who could point out what's working, especially when it comes to humor. It's weirdly easy to forget to note the bits you really like.

You can always add extra things you didn't think of when you get in touch with the people who offer. Nothing says you're set in stone with what you were looking for.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score

Yes! And I think it's important to remember that it's totally okay to ask readers what they love. I know that as writer I'm blind to mistakes, but I'm also blind to the "magic" of a story I've read fifty times. Sometimes something as simple as "I like this, please don't cut it" is helpful because you know what is working! :)

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
So, er, am I being dull, blind, and/or thick if I ask: When and where do we get to read the crits for the other pieces of work submitted that are in no way connected to us? Like, say I wanted to read a crit from someone else not on my own piece, how does that happen? Do I gotta wait?

Also, did I miss the post the explains how the entries are arranged? I know my number, and my victims' numbers, but where are the lines drawn? :s

P'shaw! It worked out just fine for me! :p *said the dude with secure backups for all tha notes*

Dysnomia

Drowning in the depthless sea
Registered
Reaction score
So interesting to read everyone else's beta reading styles! Thanks for sharing :D

I admit to being one of those who does the "compliment sandwiches", but only when I've good stuff to make up the "bread"... If not, I just give what I have. :gone: I also tend to be one who can't see the forest for the trees, but I'm trying to overcome that now...

Heheh, I've been doing that but so far have been lucky enough not to have any hiccups mid-way during my crits. Super wary of that though, as I've learned losing all the stuff the hard way when critiquing on SYW...

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
So, er, am I being dull, blind, and/or thick if I ask: When and where do we get to read the crits for the other pieces of work submitted that are in no way connected to us? Like, say I wanted to read a crit from someone else not on my own piece, how does that happen? Do I gotta wait?

Also, did I miss the post the explains how the entries are arranged? I know my number, and my victims' numbers, but where are the lines drawn? :s

All crits will be posted on the 2nd, with each entry having their own threads. If you go to the Beta Project Subforum 2, you can see last year's entries and crits. It will be exactly like that.

I think the first post in the Entries thread says more or less where you can expect to find things. MG is first, both are spec fic. Then YA, starting with contemporary and working it's way to fantasy, then it transitions into adult fantasy and works its way back to contemporary. All entries are in the same thread. If you like one of the entries you've been assigned to crit, look around it to find similar stuff, if there is any.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I try to always note reactions. If something particularly pleases or impresses me I'll comment on it. If it's jarring, then likewise. I aim for neutrally critical, but on the writerly end prefer to only see negative and not positive for my own... so meh.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Just a little baby reminder that I will not be PMing you confirmation that I received your crits, but I *will* be sending you a reminder as we get close to the deadline if I did not receive your crits, so if something happened, you will have a chance to fix it.

There are 50 not-me entrants. If each sends their 3 crits in separate PMs, that's 150 PMs. If each gets one beta request, that's 100 PMs (50 to me & 50 from me). Not even looking at extra crits sent to me & more beta requests & questions & problems...well, there's just not room for confirmations.

However, if a problem occurs that makes you think the crit failed to send (as has happened), get in touch with me then!

If it's in your Sent folder, it's almost certainly okay

Last edited:

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Just a little baby reminder that I will not be PMing you confirmation that I received your crits, but I *will* be sending you a reminder as we get close to the deadline if I did not receive your crits, so if something happened, you will have a chance to fix it.

There are 50 not-me entrants. If each sends their 3 crits in separate PMs, that's 150 PMs. If each gets one beta request, that's 100 PMs (50 to me & 50 from me). Not even looking at extra crits sent to me & more beta requests & questions & problems...well, there's just not room for confirmations.

However, if a problem occurs that makes you think the crit failed to send (as has happened), get in touch with me then!

If it's in your Sent folder, it's almost certainly okay

You are honestly superhuman for managing all of that. I would pass out after 20 PM's.

Dysnomia

Drowning in the depthless sea
Registered
Reaction score
You are honestly superhuman for managing all of that. I would pass out after 20 PM's.

+1! Not to mention having to transfer them onto something else for saving and then back again to post....

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
1 required crit left, and then I get to jump into the fun of critting some of the other entries that caught my eye. I'm loving this!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's fun! And when the last crit I sent in came back with a message that my PM box was overfull, it was a timely reminder that I needed to clear out PMs from a decade ago :D

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Pro tip: Make sure when you're doing your crits you're looking at the right post. Or you might end up doing a crit for one you weren't assigned. Not that I did that. Nope. Not me. :roll: WHOOPS! Ah, well, every crit improves the craft!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
And I'm sure the other entrant will appreciate the extra crit :greenie

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
Been having a lot of fun doing my crits and shopping through all the entries to see what I'd like to beta. I'll probably give my crits another once-over before sending them in, then start giving some serious thought to what I'd like to beta...

Edit: On the topic of beta styles, I very much tend to be the person who puts a lot of comments on the end, then puts in-text comments for stuff that I have a substantial reaction to, be that good or bad. I'll make end-of-chapter summaries of my thoughts, and I'll often leave comments describing how I'm feeling as I read the story. I can't do line-by-line though, since it just takes too much out of me.

Last edited:

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Been having a lot of fun doing my crits and shopping through all the entries to see what I'd like to beta. I'll probably give my crits another once-over before sending them in, then start giving some serious thought to what I'd like to beta...

I'm terrible, I give them a ten times over, but for this occasion, I did do a lot of thoughts at the end. We're open to beta thoughts, which include more than just a LBL. I'm striving for inspiring rather than critical, and that's why I pine. :flag:

Sage, a million thanks for doing this, and handling such an explosion. Once the crits are posted, can we do them in the traditional way, or should we filter them all through you?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The crit threads will be open for anybody to post in. If someone wants to remain anonymous, they can still go through me, or they can post openly in the thread. Same with beta requests. I also monitor the subforum for a while, so if someone were to add a crit even weeks later, I'll point it out to the entrant to make sure it doesn't get missed.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a stat for you: Half the entrants have turned in their mandatory crits already :applause:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My suggestion for if you are critting right into an AW text box, is to Control+A, then Control+C your post from time to time (Command, instead of Control on a Mac), and especially before you hit submit, just in case your wifi is as bad as mine and never goes through. There have been at least 3 crits lost this year because of computer issues.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as too long of a crit? I'm doing my last one and I'm not sure if more feedback is always better, but I keep having thoughts/questions, yet I don't want to overwhelm the writer. I'm too long winded for my own good lmfao

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Theoretically there probably is, but unless you're in the realm of like 20 pages or something I doubt anyone will mind! I suspect most writers will be pleased to have engendered such curiosity in you.

I wrote one long, one normalish (whatever that means) and one very short.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If you can't fit it in one PM/post (I don't know the limit), it's probably too long :poke: