Beta Project 2017

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised at how heavily the entries are concentrated in fantasy, as I'd have figured it'd be a more even split between it and SF. I'll be curious to see how the genres split out once everyone has submitted.

So am I, but I'm quite happy about it!! Fantasy is definitely my favorite genre to read, so I'll probably end up critting more than my assigned three if there are a bunch of awesome beginnings written in my favorite genre. :)

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having second thoughts! Thoughts that occur after the first thoughts! Thoughts about thoughts! Did I enter correctly? Was my entry improperly formatted or annoying to make proper? Did I fail massively or leave a typo somewhere? Is my hook, well, hooky? My em-dahses tend to have spaces around them!!! :eek: I'm scared and paranoid and worried and frightened and stuff! :'( someone hold me!?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
You're fine, Dammy. *patpat* Sage is good people, she'd let you know if there were any blatant issues. I got hit with the "combining words" glitch when I submitted, and she helped me out. You're gonna be fine and we're all gonna have a great time tomorrow. It'll be so much like the Sisyphus guessing except without the guessing but so much good stuff to read and decide what you want to read.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
so much good stuff to read and decide what you want to read.

That's probably what I'm most excited for. I'm always looking for new books to read, and now I'll have an entire thread of possible reads !

Sidebar: Does anyone know how PDFS behave on Kindles? I'm wondering if when I invevitably find an entry that makes me go "omg, I HAVE to read this whole thing!!" if once they said it over if I'll be able to read it on my Kindle. I much prefer ereaders over reading on a screen

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Maxwell. :)

That's probably what I'm most excited for. I'm always looking for new books to read, and now I'll have an entire thread of possible reads !

Sidebar: Does anyone know how PDFS behave on Kindles? I'm wondering if when I invevitably find an entry that makes me go "omg, I HAVE to read this whole thing!!" if once they said it over if I'll be able to read it on my Kindle. I much prefer ereaders over reading on a screen

PDFs are WEIRD on kindle, or were last time I tried them. If you are able, consider asking for an rtf or docx version because those are most compatible with Amazon's conversion software iirc. Or just copy/paste what you gotta read into such a document and then email that over to your kindle.

I found that I couldn't zoom in with a PDF on my kindle, or change text size. It was like looking at an image not a document. kobos handle PDFs p dern well as long as they aren't huge files sizes. ;) but still, docx and convert in the email header to your kindle should be good enough. It's how I roll, even if some formatting gets lost in translation...

Last edited:

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Maxwell. :)

PDFs are WEIRD on kindle, or were last time I tried them. If you are able, consider asking for an rtf or docx version because those are most compatible with Amazon's conversion software iirc. Or just copy/paste what you gotta read into such a document and then email that over to your kindle.

I found that I couldn't zoom in with a PDF on my kindle, or change text size. It was like looking at an image not a document. kobos handle PDFs p dern well as long as they aren't huge files sizes. ;) but still, docx and convert in the email header to your kindle should be good enough. It's how I roll, even if some formatting gets lost in translation...

Duly noted! I don't even know what an rtf file is but I appreciate the warning about PDF

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, sorry if I scared you guys. If you submitted before today & haven't received notice of a problem, you're good to go. (However, you should have some response from me, & if I didn't respond & you subbed before I made my previous post, please get in touch with me ASAP!)

The previous post was to avoid snags in the final hours. Every year, without fail, someone tries to enter at the last second & has some problem come up. And there are quite a few people this year who have missed one or more of the questions. I'm trying to avoid a last-minute scramble to get everything right tonight so you can see the entries as soon as possible.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Socky, it is easy as pie to transfer a .doc or .docx to Kindle, which I think most people send to betas. I'll PM you about it later

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
If you google online, you can convert a docx to mobi file. I've done that for two betas and although the formatting was a little bizarre adn not "sales" quality (I didn't do any format prep), it was perfectly readable.

Since I'm all into SFF I'm really looking forward to seeing other SFF entries, and learning how to make my early chapters work lol.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, sorry if I scared you guys. If you submitted before today & haven't received notice of a problem, you're good to go. (However, you should have some response from me, & if I didn't respond & you subbed before I made my previous post, please get in touch with me ASAP!)

The previous post was to avoid snags in the final hours. Every year, without fail, someone tries to enter at the last second & has some problem come up. And there are quite a few people this year who have missed one or more of the questions. I'm trying to avoid a last-minute scramble to get everything right tonight so you can see the entries as soon as possible.

Thank you for all the work you're doing to make sure things are formatted properly! I triple-checked my PM before sending it, but I was still a little nervous about messing it up somehow. It's good to know I most likely didn't.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Socky, it is easy as pie to transfer a .doc or .docx to Kindle, which I think most people send to betas. I'll PM you about it later

Much appreciated!! That way I can actually get into the story with the same mindset that I do when I step into a book.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
As of right this second, I am caught up on all entries. If you haven't received some sort of response from me and you tried to send me an entry, let me know.

Dysnomia

Drowning in the depthless sea
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having second thoughts! Thoughts that occur after the first thoughts! Thoughts about thoughts! Did I enter correctly? Was my entry improperly formatted or annoying to make proper? Did I fail massively or leave a typo somewhere? Is my hook, well, hooky? My em-dahses tend to have spaces around them!!! :eek: I'm scared and paranoid and worried and frightened and stuff! :'( someone hold me!?

I'm entirely with you on that. Gah, it's so scary. Scarier than the many final exams I had to take this past week. AHHHHHHHHHH

But, on the plus side, I can't wait to read everyone else's entries. Can't wait to see what's out there!!

Super excited and super nervous. It really is a weird feeling.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm entirely with you on that. Gah, it's so scary. Scarier than the many final exams I had to take this past week. AHHHHHHHHHH
No! You can always edit, revise, rewrite a query or chapter. You don't get any second chances on final exams! (She says, marking student exams and sighing with exasperation over answers such as 'the neonate is part of the digestive system'.)

Dysnomia

Registered
Reaction score
No! You can always edit, revise, rewrite a query or chapter. You don't get any second chances on final exams! (She says, marking student exams and sighing with exasperation over answers such as 'the neonate is part of the digestive system'.)

Oh... That is true... BUT AHHH. This is still scarier...somehow...

And that's an interesting answer. Any points for creativity? :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping the neonate is a baby of some kind.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And that's an interesting answer. Any points for creativity? :)
Not in this case, I'm afraid, as the answer wasn't entertaining or creative. More like unforgivable, for a third year university course in clinical biochemistry....

(However, if I do end up critting your piece, I'll try to be nice!)

Last edited:

Dysnomia

Registered
Reaction score
Not in this case, I'm afraid, as the answer wasn't entertaining or creative. More like unforgivable, for a third year university course in clinical biochemistry....

(However, if I do end up critting your piece, I'll try to be nice!)

OHH... Okay, never mind. Maybe they confused it with another word from lack of sleep :e2hammer:

And thank you! I hope no one ever traces my entry to me though (not that I think anyone would try...), except Sage who already knows which belongs to whom, of course, haha.

Are there still any entries rolling in, Sage?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for this invitation to announce that I am once again caught up on "got it"s. And thanks to everyone who's sent in recently because those entries were gorgeously formatted :greenie

Entries have indeed been rolling in. We may end up with the most entries in any Beta Project ever (ha, you were all worried when we were back at 20 entries the other day, weren't you?)

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope no one ever traces my entry to me though (not that I think anyone would try...), except Sage who already knows which belongs to whom, of course, haha.
Oops, yeah, I'd forgot the system was set up to be anonymous. ::note to self: be nice to EVERYONE!::

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Entries have indeed been rolling in. We may end up with the most entries in any Beta Project ever (ha, you were all worried when we were back at 20 entries the other day, weren't you?)
Holy crap! How many have you got?

Dysnomia

Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap! How many have you got?

A question I've been dying to ask! But was afraid I'd be too persistent/overly excited... I was surprised at 20 entries only being submitted back then, but then I saw the previous years only had 35-37 and so thought it seemed like the standard. So how many are there now? :D I know we'll find out soon, but...

Oops, yeah, I'd forgot the system was set up to be anonymous. ::note to self: be nice to EVERYONE!::

Eheh, yeah. It's the main reason why I wanted to take part in this!

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
A question I've been dying to ask! But was afraid I'd be too persistent/overly excited... I was surprised at 20 entries only being submitted back then, but then I saw the previous years only had 35-37 and so thought it seemed like the standard. So how many are there now? :D I know we'll find out soon, but...

Eheh, yeah. It's the main reason why I wanted to take part in this!

Two years ago, there were, like, 42 or 43. If we've got more than that... Geez, the total number of entries more than doubled in four days!

Dysnomia

Registered
Reaction score

Tell usssss! Pretty please, with cherry on top? :)

Two years ago, there were, like, 42 or 43. If we've got more than that... Geez, the total number of entries more than doubled in four days!

Oh right! Somehow I forgot about that... Damn, so are there like 50 now??

Last edited: