I need you guys.... sadness

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
It's not happening and I'm very close to giving up mentally on my dream of becoming a published author...... I'm very emotional about this dream that I have nurtured for years....
I sent about 17 queries in two batches..... No one has requested anything- no interest. I sent one batch, then changed a query letter and sent the second lot.

I'm facing a nightmare of having to admit that I was a fool all these years believing that I have something to share with the world.

I'm based in the UK, but I was querying US agents as there's a huge market for a self-help book. But maybe this was a mistake. Maybe I should send queries to UK agents as well...which makes more sense as I'm here.

I'm going to change my query for the 2nd time now, and send ourt to 100 agents....after this I give up, what's the point. NOT MEANT TO BE... there would be nothing else to do....

I'd be so grateful if you offered some advice, thoughts.....

:(

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, deep breath time.

:Hug2:<-- virtual hug.

Now then:

How long ago did you query your book?

Which format are you using? UK covering letter, or US query / non-fic sample submission? If you're querying US agents with UK-style materials, they may seen as not following submission rules.

Have you tried Canadian agents? There are a few.

17 is a TINY query pool; don't get discouraged. Many authors need that 100-agent query blast to find someone who fits their needs.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Also with non-fiction books, rather than a query, you might be better of sending a proposal.

Publishers generally have specific guidelines for non-fiction book proposals.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cyia asks great questions, and I agree 17 queries is much too small of a sample size to decide to give up. This is especially true if you aren't getting personalized feedback; you have no idea if the rejections are based on the book, the query letter, or (more likely) hundreds of other reasons you have no control over--the agent has similar books they're already working on, the agent is swamped, the market is saturated, or who knows?

I think you have the right approach in general: send a batch, revise the query, send the next batch, lather, rinse, repeat. Now, keeping in mind the points above about who you're querying and what form the query takes, keep in mind there is no magic formula once you get the basics down.

Keep on trucking! It's the only way.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
The only thing seventeen silences to your query letter says is that the query's not popping enough to get attention. It doesn't say a thing about your story, certainly doesn't say anything about you as a writer. It doesn't look like you've posted your query in QLH. You've got enough posts, so go for it. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by using the collective knowledge and skills of the squirrels to tear apart and rebuild your query. Maybe, after you do that, the 18th query will be your first request. Just don't give up so easily. I know there's someone here or who used to be here who subbed to over 200 agents before they got one. Stephen King notoriously filled an entire letter spike with rejections until it was so heavy it was falling off the wall, and he threw Carrie in the trash. Don't quit. You can do this.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm facing a nightmare of having to admit that I was a fool all these years believing that I have something to share with the world.

Breathe! :Hug2:

Everyone. Every.One. has something to share with the world. Say it with me: Everyone has something to share with the world! (repeat as needed)

Take a look at the agents you're querying. Have you vetted them properly? (I'm guessing you have, but lots don't.) And listen to Cyia - are you formatting properly for the agents you're querying? We're an odd lot here in the US. :Shrug: If you're not getting any nibbles, it's quite possible the issue is with the query. Have you taken a deep breath and posted it in QLH for feedback?

Ditto above, 17 agents is not a lot, even though it certainly FEELS like it!

So many times, it's not even the work, it's the timing, which isn't something any of us can control.

It's also hard to keep in mind that a rejection of your work is NOT a rejection of you, your worth, your value, your talents, your skills, or the things that matter to you. It's hard, hard, hard, but it's the truth.

Work on revamping your query again (I know, you've already done it 9,486,793 times) and then work on a different project.

:Hug2:

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Your checklist should be:
1. does the agent accept non-fiction
2. are you following the proper format, usually a proposal which requires different content (such as knowing your markets)
3. is the market for your topic saturated (most probably) and are you offering a unique aspect
4. also helps if you are somehow qualified to have an expert opinion on the topic

If the above is fulfilled, then just have a cuppa and keep sending them out :e2coffee:.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Took me 151 queries and tons of revisions to it and my manuscript. At 17 queries, you're just getting started. For that reason, stop and revise, query a small batch, stop and reevaluate, adjust if needed again, query a small batch, rinse and repeat.

Good luck!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If you don't have a large platform (readership/following), agents in the US are probably passing because they see your book as too small to pay its way. Agents in the UK may feel differently, so you might try those.

But you may be better approaching small reputable publishers directly. John Hunt Publishing is in the UK and publishes self-help. They are royalty only, which means you can skip an agent. When I queried Sikh Spiritual Practice, they wanted a cover letter and the full ms. (This was after I garnered enough rejections from agents to paper the Taj Mahal.)

Best of luck.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
I've been here long enough to know it's a very common feeling to start querying and want to give up on the whole dream of writing when those first queries aren't successful. I felt that way, too. But I also saw people who felt that way but chose to continue, and they started to get somewhere. I'm slowly getting somewhere, too, from nothing but silence and form rejections with my first novel to requests, contest wins and personalized rejections with my second novel. I have hope that it's upwards from here.

I'd venture to say the majority of published authors felt that way early on. If they'd given up, they wouldn't be where they are.

In this gig, you can put your emotions in the driver's seat when you're writing, but you'd do best to buckle them in for the bumpy ride when you're handling the business end of things.

Best of luck as you sort it out, but don't give up.

Last edited:

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, deep breath time.

:Hug2:<-- virtual hug.

Thanks so much for your support Cyia! :) I was quering American agents with US query style/format. Something must be wrong with my query letter/ or they don'r like the book idea.... Now I think they don't like the book idea... it's spiritual self-help.... not everyones cup of tea! THis time round I queried: mid March. Good point! Haven't thought about Canadian agents....

I have a proposal ready....just most say in submission guidance- query first, if we want more we'll request a proposal.

I think I need to build greater resilience....because up till now...the process was just killing me mentally! :( So I sent a few and bang! got so down....

Last edited:

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
Cyia asks great questions, and I agree 17 queries is much too small of a sample size to decide to give up. This is especially true if you aren't getting personalized feedback; you have no idea if the rejections are based on the book, the query letter, or (more likely) hundreds of other reasons you have no control over--the agent has similar books they're already working on, the agent is swamped, the market is saturated, or who knows? .

Thanks so much Chris! :) Exactly who knows??? You opened my eyes. There may be a thousand reasons and I'll never know why. I got a response like this: 'Thanks so much for sending me your query. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem quite right for my list. But I wish you luck in finding the right agent and will be sure to follow your success.'

I do it every time, get really excited about my new query, send it, get drepressed because going nowhere, take a break, get my strength back, start over again.

I hope it's on it's WAY- thank you :)

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing seventeen silences to your query letter says is that the query's not popping enough to get attention. It doesn't say a thing about your story, certainly doesn't say anything about you as a writer. It doesn't look like you've posted your query in QLH. You've got enough posts, so go for it. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by using the collective knowledge and skills of the squirrels to tear apart and rebuild your query. Maybe, after you do that, the 18th query will be your first request. Just don't give up so easily. I know there's someone here or who used to be here who subbed to over 200 agents before they got one. Stephen King notoriously filled an entire letter spike with rejections until it was so heavy it was falling off the wall, and he threw Carrie in the trash. Don't quit. You can do this.
WOW. re: Stephen King. Even in all these disapointments I get I believe in myself as a writer. I know I have something to share that has changed my life and can help other people. LOL...looking for an agent is like going on dates and looking for a partner....you have to go on many dates to find this SPARK :) right? Such a test! But I got this far....I need to press on...and keep the faith. Good point about query hell... Hopefully soon, I'll feel brave :)

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
Breathe! :Hug2:

Everyone. Every.One. has something to share with the world. Say it with me: Everyone has something to share with the world! (repeat as needed)
:

Thanks so much Carrie! Really appreciate that. I have vetted the agents. Wow....THE TIMING...this makes sense. I believe in it. I will now write a new query. I sense what went wrong with the other one...and prepare for the final battle of sending it to 100 agents ..... It really helped when you said that rejection is not about my talents, my worth and my value.

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
Your checklist should be:
1. does the agent accept non-fiction
2. are you following the proper format, usually a proposal which requires different content (such as knowing your markets)
3. is the market for your topic saturated (most probably) and are you offering a unique aspect
4. also helps if you are somehow qualified to have an expert opinion on the topic

If the above is fulfilled, then just have a cuppa and keep sending them out :e2coffee:.

Curlz, thanks so much! That's super helpful. I must admit something. When I was putting together a list of agents. I was only sending to those agents who didn't request a proposal straight away just the query. Why? It's so silly I know.... But this idea means so much to me....it's my whole world and I was afraid to share it without the initial interest....I was afraid that someone will steal it :(:(:( It couldn't help it. But now I begin to realise that it's the proposal that can convince them......Oh god, I need to go past my inner barriers.....

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
Took me 151 queries and tons of revisions to it and my manuscript. At 17 queries, you're just getting started. For that reason, stop and revise, query a small batch, stop and reevaluate, adjust if needed again, query a small batch, rinse and repeat.

Good luck!

Thanks very much Quickbread! :) wow...151. I admire your resilience and commitment. Yes, 17 is not a lot....

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If you don't have a large platform (readership/following), agents in the US are probably passing because they see your book as too small to pay its way. Agents in the UK may feel differently, so you might try those.

But you may be better approaching small reputable publishers directly. John Hunt Publishing is in the UK and publishes self-help. They are royalty only, which means you can skip an agent. When I queried Sikh Spiritual Practice, they wanted a cover letter and the full ms. (This was after I garnered enough rejections from agents to paper the Taj Mahal.) Siri Kirpal

OMG.... garned enough rejections from agents to paper the Taj Mahal! That's a very good way of putting it.
You nailed it Siri. I don't have a platform and I don't feel I can build it now. I think we're both in the same pot as spiritual writers- you do understand. It's so annoying because you do know you have a message, but you can't get throught THE SYSTEM.

Thanks so much for pointing me in a new direction. I'll bear this in mind! If don't get an agent. I'll definitely try it.

Blessings :)

Best of luck.

Blessings:)

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
In this gig, you can put your emotions in the driver's seat when you're writing, but you'd do best to buckle them in for the bumpy ride when you're handling the business end of things.

Best of luck as you sort it out, but don't give up.
That was great!!!! So true. Like you said, those published authors were ONCE us....if they gave up they'd never get there!

fov

Rattenmonster
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember where I read this, but people who give up never get published. People who keep at it still have a chance. :)

Theodore Koukouvitis

Registered
Reaction score
With about 600 rejections across four books, I'm in the position to say that you're way too early to despair.

Last edited:

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
With about 600 rejections across four books, I'm in the position to say that you're way too early to despair.
OMG, you're a hero!!!!
I feel like a moaner now :( but I think I've grown a thicker skin now

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember where I read this, but people who give up never get published. People who keep at it still have a chance. :)
VERY TRUE

Theodore Koukouvitis

Registered
Reaction score
Just be patient, and remember that even if you get an agent, there's still a change your book won't be picked by publishers. It's a long, long haul, but it's worth it (as far as I can tell.)

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
17 queries is nothing, absolutely nothing.

Remember, there's no way to guarantee you'll get published but there is one very easy way to guarantee you *won't*, and that's to stop trying.

BTW there's no reason to stop querying US agents, I'm in the UK too and my agent is in the States and it works fine.

gjdevlin

Registered
Reaction score
Let me tell you a little bit about myself to break up the "pity party" I'm a deaf-blind author having written one book so far and published on Amazon (see my sig) . I've written dozens of screenplays without a nibble. In about ten or fifteen years I might not be able to write anymore due to my ushers syndrome or I just might be blessed to keep my sight. I pray for the latter.

I write because I love it. I published Old Man from the Stars because I published it online back in 1999 or 2000 then took my rights back and republished on Amazon. I think I told a good story. At least that's what I tell myself. I could not afford the postage of sending out chapters back then so I took the easy way to publication.

I plan to query my latest manuscript and I know I'm going to get rejected but remember - write because you love the process which I do. This dampens my fear or rejections because I treat rejections as a business. Either you like it or not. Have a nice day. Bye.

Will my Amazon book be a major best seller? Probably not.
Am I going to be the next Andy Weir? Nope.
Will movie producers want to options The Old Man from the Stars? Again probably not.
Am I the best writer in the world? That's what I like to tell myself. :)
Are agents going to freak out that I'm a deaf blind writer and make them uncomfortable? Yup - it has happened.
Am I making lotsa lotsa money off Old Man? Nope. I'm on the very bottom of the best seller list and made maybe 30 bucks last year. Oh well.

There are many obstacles to publication- do what the wind does - whistle and go around

Bottom line is that I just do - I just write and keep plugging away at what I do until my day in darkness descends over me but I'm happy - got my wife and three kids.

Keep your chin up and write. :)

emstar94

Registered
Reaction score
I feel your pain. But I also don't think you should give up.

I've sent out aaaaround 70-80 queries. Had one full request. Some positive comments, a lot of form rejections. Ultimately, a lot lot lot of rejection.

But I'm not giving up. I'm rewriting my query, I've rewritten my opening chapters, I'm always scouring the internet looking for that one agent whose wishlist just about matches with what I have to offer.

Because I really genuinely do believe in my main characters and my idea. I love my writing. And if I do, there must be others out there that will, too - at least I hope!

What I'm saying is, don't feel crap. Rewrite your query if you need to, do more research into the perfect agent for your book - there's so many resources out there, have a look at what material you're offering - are there any mistakes or errors that need fixing? Keep querying. Keep the belief. Fingers crossed for you xx