End of Semester Accomplishments and Goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
Holy crap! It's the end of April. Didn't January just start or something?

So I've ended a semester of a novella-focused writing course (as in, pieces to a single short story that once come together happen to make a novella), registered for a Sci-Fi writing course in the summer with a Professor I've heard great feedback about, and registered for two courses (one on technical skills, one a fiction workshop) in the Fall.

Accomplishments: I've written the major portions of the first act of the second WIP in my series, greatly fleshed out the three main characters of that WIP, and gotten very positive feedback from three other students and the instructor. Total word count is at NANO levels (49,000 in my document and probably another thousand in my notebook, with at least two thousand left to write), though several of the chapters are on Draft 2-4. I've also gotten some new craft elements to keep in mind.

Goals for the summer: Another 50,000 words in my main WIPs. Like this semester, I'm going to keep unrelated prompts out of the count. I also want to get at least one new short story that I feel deserves the time and energy to polish for publication out of it.

Goals for the Fall semester: Another 50,000 words in my main WIPs. Some form of monetary compensation for writing - hopefully as a university Writing Center tutor but if not, focus on publishing a short story. Get involved in the university writing community, either as a tutor, an editor of a school publication, a writer for the newsletter, or by organizing a writing event. Write at least one of my existing ideas into a screenplay.

sublunam

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sublunam.wordpress.com
Oh, this is a happy thread. I keep looking around for NY resolutions, only to discover that the rest of the world is ploughing earnestly on into June.

Accomplishments: Resumed short story writing after long, long hiatus; wrote four short stories and writing a fifth. Published two essays in Eidolon. Wrote a handful of mediocre poems. Re-opened my blog. Finished an academic article (at least, a draft ... still plenty more to do in the way of revisions).

Summer goals: Keep up the short story run, aiming at one story every week (but probably ending up with one story every two weeks); revise three short stories and submit; take a novel writing course in Los Angeles (still a little shocked I signed up for that); revise that article

Fall goals: oh no no, we're not touching the fall with a bargepole

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
After spending a week seriously wondering how I could only have 25% of the story with 50,000 words, I looked back and realized that I had been looking at the character count. So the final once I finish this run will actually be closer to 20,000 words. Not as great, but still not terrible when you consider the research papers and prompts I've also written this semester. Definitely going to adjusting those future goals, though. Maybe I'll say 50,000 words each summer and Fall, but in total, not just on this manuscript.

Summer goals: Keep up the short story run, aiming at one story every week (but probably ending up with one story every two weeks); revise three short stories and submit; take a novel writing course in Los Angeles (still a little shocked I signed up for that); revise that article
Sounds pretty ambitious. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.