• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sternig & Byrne Literary Agency

Marv

Has anyone heard of this agency? They say that they prefer not to work with contract. I find this suspicious, yet their clientelle seems to be impressive.

Does anyone else work with them? If so, are you aware of any sales? How effective are they, etc?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
They look pretty good, Marve, and have been in business for a long time, with an established client list. The fact that they operate without a contract is really not that unusual with agents--it's a trust thing. They also state that if the client would like a contract that one can be provided. I see no red flags, but wait for some other firsthand comments.

Tri

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Jack Byrne is totally legit with a good record of recent sales in SF/F.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Larry Sternig & Jack Byrne Literary Agency represent, among others, Andre Norton (I don't know if they now represent her estate), Naomi Kritzer, Jane Routley, Harold C. LeBlanc, David Levine, Kely McCullough, Elenora R. Sabin, and John C. Wright.

Some older agencies still prefer to work without author-agent contracts. The terms of your representation should still be clearly laid out in some way.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Many long-established agents still operate without a written contract. Usually, that means you and the agent agree verbally on some general details -- percentage for commission, if they're handling just this book or all your works, how to end the relationship if necessary, etc. Once they sell your book, the agent will then write an agent-clause into the contract to cover specifics for that particular work.

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
This has nothing to do with his ability as an agent or his legitimacy, but simply a personal thing. He really rubbed me the wrong way with his acceptance letter. It says basically that even though he considers very (and it is italacized) few new writers he would be willing to look over a piece of yours. The letter goes on and it is very pompous and self-promoting. Also he doesn't ask for an exclusive on partials, he demands it.
I almost didn't send my stuff to him. I am a little regretful that I did and it is the only rejection that I was relieved to recieve. I don't want to work with someone who considers himself so much loftier than a new author. <shrug> he just rubbed me the wrong way.
And again, this has nothing to do with his ability to be an agent and is only my personal opinion. But so many authors have stressed how important it is to not only have an agent with good sales and a good rep, etc. but one who respects you and who you can mesh with. Quite frankly, if he had offered me representation, I may not have turned it down, but boy, I'd have been on the phone with every other agent who had my novel and given them a chance to throw their hat in the ring.
Again, this is just my personal $.02

Maprilynne

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Interesting. Personally, I'd take it as a compliment if an agent told me they consider very few new writers, but they wanted to look at my work.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Beth Bernobich said:
Interesting. Personally, I'd take it as a compliment if an agent told me they consider very few new writers, but they wanted to look at my work.

Yes, judging by what he says in an interview on this site, getting that far with him is exceedingly rare:

"I receive an average of 15 contacts per day. While I’m guessing here, I’d say that out of every 100 of those I may ask to see a partial for 1. Of every 50 partials, I may ask to see 1 complete manuscript and perhaps 1 out of every 100 may excite me enough to offer representation. Writing that is sloppy, boring, predictable or simply redoing what’s already been done tends to be high on my list of rejection reasons."

15 contacts a day, that's about 5,000/year. One out of a hundred, that's 50 partials/year. One out of 50 partials, that one manuscript per year. One out of ever hundred manuscripts, he offers representation. That's once per century! (I know, I know, he was just guessing at the numbers.)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Maprilynne said:
This has nothing to do with his ability as an agent or his legitimacy, but simply a personal thing. He really rubbed me the wrong way with his acceptance letter. It says basically that even though he considers very (and it is italacized) few new writers he would be willing to look over a piece of yours. The letter goes on and it is very pompous and self-promoting. Also he doesn't ask for an exclusive on partials, he demands it.
Maprilynne

I sent a query, partial, and then full to Jack Byrne last summer. All his correspondence was concise, but both professional and pleasant. He did ultimately pass on the ms, but with a personal rejection letter praising many aspects of the ms.

Agents have different personalities, and not all agents mesh with all writers. He is definitely old school, but I connected with that would have loved to work with him.

He has contracts available for those who want them, but being old school, prefers to work on a "handshake agreement." My former agent, since retired, operated the same way. Again, styles differ, and for me a handshake agreement is not only acceptable, I prefer it. (Of course, that's assuming its a legit agent you trust.)

DED

Lives Under a Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dedzone.net
waylander said:
Jack Byrne is totally legit with a good record of recent sales in SF/F.

Yep. Quite a history too with Sternig before he passed away.

He rejected my query, but was polite about it.

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
He was also very polite to me, though he declined on foot of my query. His correspondence was prompt, professional and informative, also it was a personal note rather then a form letter, which means a lot in this crowded industry

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
I've managed to get two partials through the door, one full. All correspondence has been very professional.

I need a reply to my full via e-mail (because of a coming move) and he's happy to do it. He was even nice enough to wish me good luck on the move. So, seems like a nice, flexible guy too.

Maybe he has a thing for Canadian writers (which bodes well for me): he's got several Canucks on his client list.

Last edited:

SWDetroit

Registered
Reaction score
I had an uncle (now deceased) in Milwaukee named Larry Sternig. Small world. That Austrian surname must not be that rare...

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone with recent experience to share? I just queried and was curious. Thanks!

Thomas Scot

Registered
Reaction score
Sternig and Byrne Agency

I've been trolling for new agents and came across this one. Just a passing caveat in case anyone misses this notation on their website. I lifted this direct quote from the site ....

"Although the agency generally uses no formal written contract with its clients, preferring to develop a relationship based on mutual trust and loyalty, contracts are available for clients who request them."

Just too wierd.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seems okay to me. Lots of agents, especially ones who have been in business for decades, don't use contracts. If S&B are willing to bow to clients' preferences, that gives them extra points in my book.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sternig and Byrne is totally legit. They also state that contracts are available to those clients who request them.

ETA: Sorry, you already quoted that bit.

Last edited:

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Mr. Byrne with an Urban Fantasy on 6/21 and received a request for a partial on 6/28. He noted that he does not accept simultaneous submissions, which I hadn't read on his website. So, just a heads up for anyone thinking of querying.

I emailed to let him know that another agent has my ms (has had it for awhile, and I'm not optimistic about a positive response) and he said that I could send the partial to him after receiving a response. Quick response and very professional.

CScottMorris

On a coffee fueled writing spree!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cscottmorrisbooks.com
I am researching my next round of queries, and Jack is at the top of my list. Has anyone else heard from him?
Know what he is looking for?