Do New Fiction Writers Have to Have a Blog?

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
When it comes to social media, don't try to be active on every single platform (although it's a good idea to try to reserve your author or branding name). Look for the platforms your audience is on, and focus there. FOr all the others, just set up the account so you can get the username you want.

Ramsay

Crazy like a fox, or just crazy?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fccfellowship.org
Glad you asked this and I read through everything, because I, too, was told to have some kind of platform and presence to start building an audience. SO, that's what I did. I finally relented to do a twitter account and also made my author FB page.. and I linked them so that when I tweet/ed something it posted on FB as well. I also started an author WP blog to hold short stories, not commentary as such. I haven't updated the blog in a long while because I'm usually busy writing/editing or researching things for the book(s) I have finished. The blog is more or less to get a feel for my writing and genre. I have tons of stories to get down and put up but .. well life.. and I need a few more hours in the day. I try to stay active enough on twitter to get at least a few new followers each week, and I know if I were vigilant with it each day I'd build more,, but again life. HA! I"m glad though that I did this bit of ground work already so I don't have to go back and do it later if deemed necessary at any point. I do have personal blogs that I have done for years but they are under my real name, and I want to try and keep the two separated as long as possible. If I ever make a successful run of any kind, I don't think I'll care much at that point!

Good Luck with getting back to the typewriter! :)

Thank you for the inspiration. And thank you for the wise words, everyone. I have been taking notes.

Delilah J. Anders

Registered
Reaction score
Delilah, sounds like you're doing everything right. Start a "social media presence" but build it gradually in a way that suits YOU. Especially in a way that doesn't take too much time away from our most essential activity: writing.

Thank you! Ramsey, you're welcome. I am still quite the newbie so learning as I go much like you! We'll figure it out eventually right? ( or maybe not? lol ) At least we're doing something we love!

Ed_in_Bed

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why an author wouldn't blog. They're great for keeping the literary engines ticking over when you want a break from your WIP. I just throw all sorts into mine - short stories, poems, thoughts, rants. For me, it's just an online journal and I don't mind if nobody ever reads it. But - if I do ever get around to finishing something and getting published one day, I've got a ready-made landing pad for inquisitive readers. They're fun, once you get going.

Edzz

shootseven

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'm working on a novel that's set in Edwardian England. I have published some things before, but just freelance articles for small magazines; nothing substantial. Anyway, one thing I've heard more than once is that the first thing an agent asks you is whether you have a blog and if so how many followers do you have. I am just starting a blog, but it could be quite a while before I get a substantial following--if ever! Is this really a prerequisite to getting published?

I've had three books published (two nonfiction history, one novel), dealt with plenty of agents and publishers while shopping them, and have never once been asked if I have a blog.

shootseven

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why an author wouldn't blog. They're great for keeping the literary engines ticking over when you want a break from your WIP. I just throw all sorts into mine - short stories, poems, thoughts, rants. For me, it's just an online journal and I don't mind if nobody ever reads it. But - if I do ever get around to finishing something and getting published one day, I've got a ready-made landing pad for inquisitive readers. They're fun, once you get going.

Edzz

I hate the idea of blogging. Would never do it. I'd rather spend time working on books or articles. Can't imagine I'd have enough to say in a blog anyway that most of the people interested in my books would care about.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I hate the idea of blogging. Would never do it. I'd rather spend time working on books or articles. Can't imagine I'd have enough to say in a blog anyway that most of the people interested in my books would care about.

Let me stimulate what seems to me to be a woeful lack of imagination!

Are you passionate about any topics? Classic cars, horse racing, exotic locales, space exploration, spelunking, Regency England, tennis - whatever. If so, most likely every week or two you will come across a fascinating tidbit you would love to share, and like-minded possible readers of your books would love to know about.

The easiest topic is new books, TV shows, movies, and events. You only need a very few SHORT paragraphs followed by a link to them. This should not take much time away from your "books or articles."

Include an image or a video at the end. WordPress.com makes this easy to do. Be sure the site where you get them allows you to do this. Amazon and B&N not only allow this but like you to do so, as you are advertising their books. Most movie studios who post previews on YouTube are just as eager, for the same reason. Word of mouth (or blog!) is more effective than even the most expensive and flashy ad campaigns. And they know it.

Post on the average of once a week, not too often or too rarely.

bmr1591

Registered
Reaction score
From what I've seen, blogging is dying. Most people don't care to read some random person's thoughts, especially a random person who thinks people want to read their thoughts.