Glass Knives

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently stuck on a scene and wondering if you could help.

I did my research on creating a knife out of glass shards, but I'm having trouble with the available materials in the novel for the grip. If my character tore a piece of her pant leg, could the cloth, if wrapped around enough be thick enough to create handle? Or would the glass just tear through it because the character was gripping it so hard?

Also how she could throw glass shards as weapons? Grip them with cloth and throw like a dart? Could that work?

Thanks.

Last edited:

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Tearing off cloth and wrapping around several times would absolutely work as a grip at least long enough to use it a few times, and given it's glass you'll probably only get one, maybe two uses out of it before it breaks anyway. Gripping should be fine, but any in-hand movement would start glass cutting through cloth.

Glass flung like a dart wouldn't be great. I'll look towards throwing knives and shuriken instead.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

I did forget to mention that broken glass and cloth is all my character has at her disposal.

JNG01

Registered
Reaction score
If the shape of the shards allow it, she could tie them to a strip of cloth to make something like a cat-o-nine-tails.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
What's the situation? Okay, all she has is glass and cloth (why? Where does the glass come from?) does she have time, or skills? If it's just long pieces of plate glass, if she can find one the right shape, she should be okay with cloth (attached firmly, so the cloth doesn't rub on the glass). If she's got time, she could possibly select or shape suitable pieces, make 'throwing chunks', spears, etc.

Jack Judah

Lost somewhere on the Nile
Registered
Reaction score
Assuming your character has a very limited amount of time to make her weapon, your simplest solution is to have her wrap her HAND in several layers of cloth, then pick up any old glass shard. She's also less likely to have the shard punch through the cloth this way. Wrapping the shard itself is asking to have one's palm ripped open on the first stab.

Last edited:

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice! She'd basically be ripping off a pant-leg for the cloth. She's escaping a glass prison basically.

Assuming your character has a very limited amount of time to make her weapon, your simplest solution is to have her wrap her HAND in several layers of cloth, then pick up any old glass shard. She's also less likely to have the shard punch through the cloth this way. Wrapping the shard itself is asking to have one's palm ripped open on the first stab.

I like this answer the best because she does have a limited to get things done.

--------------

Another question...could exploding glass severely injure or kill you? Even if your back was turned? Does it depend on the type of glass?

Thanks.

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
Another question...could exploding glass severely injure or kill you? Even if your back was turned? Does it depend on the type of glass?

Thanks.

Anything propelled at sufficient velocity can kill you.

The type of glass matters. Safety glass is called that because it shatters into more rounded pieces that are less likely to cause lacerations and bleeding. Also, the shock wave from an explosion can damage internal organs to the point of killing a person without any damage from flying debris. (I'm not sure what kind of explosion is causing your "exploding glass".)

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Anything propelled at sufficient velocity can kill you.

The type of glass matters. Safety glass is called that because it shatters into more rounded pieces that are less likely to cause lacerations and bleeding. Also, the shock wave from an explosion can damage internal organs to the point of killing a person without any damage from flying debris. (I'm not sure what kind of explosion is causing your "exploding glass".)

An explosion from super powers, so I think it means I can make anything I want to happen.

But considering the circumstances, the glass is probably safety tempered glass and would break into pebbles, rendering it useless to her, I think. Hmm. There goes that escape plan.

Unless -- can you break off a piece of tempered glass and use it as a weapon? Or would it shatter in your hands?

armydillo978

Banned
Reaction score
Some glass is pretty tough. I pulled a half inch sliver of glass out of an off road truck tire early this week....the glass had punched through the steel belts and caused a slow leak. The other tire was peppered with glass shards as well. All at least 1/8" thick. So, glass could be an effective weapon.....just like frozen water...icicles. And the hand wrap thing is a good idea. :)

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
An explosion from super powers, so I think it means I can make anything I want to happen.

But considering the circumstances, the glass is probably safety tempered glass and would break into pebbles, rendering it useless to her, I think. Hmm. There goes that escape plan.

Unless -- can you break off a piece of tempered glass and use it as a weapon? Or would it shatter in your hands?

What was holding the glass in place? If there's some kind of framework could she break off a piece and weaponize that? The glass breaking may cause even a metal framework to disassemble.

Or, going with the cloth idea, could she gather up the glass pebbles inside the cloth and swing it like a sap? Thick glass is heavy.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Or, going with the cloth idea, could she gather up the glass pebbles inside the cloth and swing it like a sap? Thick glass is heavy.

This definitely works - she could fashion a very serviceable cosh that way.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
Also how she could throw glass shards as weapons? Grip them with cloth and throw like a dart? Could that work?

Pick it up gently on the flat sides, and just throw it like a dart. You can do that and not cut yourself.

If she has access, maybe later, to wood and glue or something similar, look up the Aztex obsidian war weapin. Like a crickrt bat with sharp obsidian shards set into the sides.

Last edited:

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Assuming this is a "glass prison" and superpowers are involved, you can use your own type of glass with, perhaps, it's own superpowers.

Tempered glass in windshields is designed to break relatively easily into pebbly stuff so it doesn't cut you. But that's different from glass used to control a dangerous prisoner. You don't want it to break at all.

As far as exploding glass, I know if I drop a glass on the floor while washing dishes, I get shards, sometimes quite nasty ones, thrown a considerable distance. Again, with a little bit of suspension of disbelief, your prison glass could stab someone on its own.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Assuming this is a "glass prison" and superpowers are involved, you can use your own type of glass with, perhaps, it's own superpowers.

Tempered glass in windshields is designed to break relatively easily into pebbly stuff so it doesn't cut you. But that's different from glass used to control a dangerous prisoner. You don't want it to break at all.

As far as exploding glass, I know if I drop a glass on the floor while washing dishes, I get shards, sometimes quite nasty ones, thrown a considerable distance. Again, with a little bit of suspension of disbelief, your prison glass could stab someone on its own.

Wait, what kind of glass would be best to contain a dangerous prisoner? I think I need to clarify. So basically, my mc is part of an experiment and she's in a glass dome. At some point, her powers shatter the glass. I'd like it that when she turned around at point of explosion, for the glass not to cut her too badly. Then I'd like her to escape and use the glass shards against her captors. Which sort of glass would work best?

Honestly that's the thing with suspension of disbelief. I could do anything really. But should I?

And would the baddies really make use a type of glass that turns into shards, even for safety purposes? They're not fools.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
What was holding the glass in place? If there's some kind of framework could she break off a piece and weaponize that? The glass breaking may cause even a metal framework to disassemble.

That sounds cool, but I need the glass to cut material open. Not just harm.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, what kind of glass would be best to contain a dangerous prisoner? I think I need to clarify. So basically, my mc is part of an experiment and she's in a glass dome. At some point, her powers shatter the glass. I'd like it that when she turned around at point of explosion, for the glass not to cut her too badly. Then I'd like her to escape and use the glass shards against her captors. Which sort of glass would work best?

Honestly that's the thing with suspension of disbelief. I could do anything really. But should I?

And would the baddies really make use a type of glass that turns into shards, even for safety purposes? They're not fools.
Fools enough to use a glass dome. Maybe overconfident? Or, too impressed by the 'look' of the prisoner in the glass dome to work out the practicalities?
I don't know the term of types of glass, but keep in mind that they build those giant tanks in public aquariums out of it. If it can hold a shark or an orca, and, especially, the weight of the water the shark or orca is living in, presumably it can hold a person, until their special powers manifest.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Fools enough to use a glass dome. Maybe overconfident? Or, too impressed by the 'look' of the prisoner in the glass dome to work out the practicalities?

True. Still trying to figure out how far on the suspension of disbelief ones goes with these things. Besides, one can always assume that's what the 'experiment' needed, ha ha.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, what kind of glass would be best to contain a dangerous prisoner?

In materials engineering, things can be strong but brittle ... cast iron for example. Really strong but hit it right and it shatters. Pre-stressed materials - Corelle dinnerware for example - hit it wrong and the release of the stress not only breaks it, but the shards continue to shatter for a long time afterwards. Sometimes just installing it with tension not quite evenly applied slowly adds uneven stresses and then kablooie ... you tap it and it's busted or you hear a noise and it was your shower door and it's in a million pieces because the installer had it unsquare in the frame and stressed it.

"Post-tensioned" concrete is way stronger than regular, until something happens to the tension cables and then the slab flies apart if the failure is sudden enough.

Also, maybe the tested the glass against "powers" and it worked beautifully, but they were applying pressure towards the curve of the dome from the outside. And she's inside, pushing out.

Or they had tempered glass and her powers un-tempered it and made it brittle.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
wrapping cloth around a shard of glass will give you an ordinary stabbing weapon substandard as throwing maybe if you caught them in the eye

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Notice that we don't currently house dangerous prisoners in glass domes. Even experimental animals are kept in metal cages most of the time. So, there's probably not a current glass that's ideal for this.

Doesn't mean that you couldn't develop something serviceable if people have superpowers and for some reason glass is the best choice. But then you'd have to technobabble why this glass was necessary, and why your MC is able to break it unexpectedly.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, what kind of glass would be best to contain a dangerous prisoner?

Steel glass. :)

Ceramic maybe. How about obsidian? Or diamond? Or super glass? Or magic crystal? It's your world, create it.

By the way, I've never bought into a world where a glass prison was a thing. Any intelligent species would use something better.

Jeff

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score

If I were building a dome of glass that would hold a number of human prisoners, then I would use glass blocks. Glass blocks are made in various sizes, and are used to make building sections that are well illuminated and as windows that aaren't going to break readily. The blocks often have irregular surfaces, so they can't be seen through, but there also are clear blocks. They aren't technically unbreakable, but they are not easy to break, and there are some that are slightly soft or malleable; although that is a specialty item. The blocks are cooled very slowly to keep them from cracking at that stage. The blocks are 3 7/8 inches thick, so shards would be thick enough that they could be worked into a grip.

https://www.qualityglassblock.com/l...izes&matchtype=e&sncid=13&adgroup=glass_block

While most commercial glass blocks are of a standard thickness, the blocks could be much thicker, say the sixe of concrete blocks 8x8x16 or other sizes.

Last edited:

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
So what basically everyone saying that the concept isn't realistic anyway, so imagine as you please, lol. And I will. As there's no way superhero/paranormal powers are plausible either. Not in this version of reality anyway. :)