Tried twice with "The Way of Kings". Couldn't get into it. Should I just give up?

Shirokitty

Registered
Reaction score
I found it had a very, very slow start. I almost gave up on the first book, but I think it helped that I was listening to the audiobook. Now I've finished the second book and am patiently awaiting the third.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I read Elantris, and I read the first two books of Mistborn. Couldn't bring myself to read the third. I just don't care that much for Sanderson's books. I accept the fact that an author can be a great and popular writer but just not my cup of coffee.

Last edited:

Bill G

Registered
Reaction score
I agree it has a painfully slow start. I enjoyed Kaladin's story line much more but even that dragged in the beginning, making me feel I was in a rolling prison with a dull lifeless view (maybe that was the point). I had to force my way through almost three quarters of Shallan's story line, usually reading it only to get to the next Kaladin chapter. However once I hit the second book I was pretty much hooked and am anxiously waiting the third.

That being said, I am in the same situation with The Lord of the Rings, as others have stated as well. My philosophy with books and beer is; if you are not enjoying it, dump it and get another one.

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, different strokes for different folks. You don't like it? Don't read it. I'm not a fan of Jordan (ironically coz I'm a huge Tolkien fan and I find him too imitatory) and so I don't read WoT. GoT got my goat. I don't read it, I don't watch it. I love all the words that flow from the mighty pen of Gaiman but others don't, so they don't read his stuff. It's simple enough. Try, and if you don't like then try something else. But don't begrudge those who like the things you don't.