Caption This: Trump "Congratulates" Purple Heart Recipient

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another day of The Donald being The Donald with all the usual stupidity it entails.

President Donald Trump congratulated an army sergeant for being wounded in Afghanistan during his visit to the Walter Reed Medical Center on Saturday. Except, of course, that it’s not appropriate to “congratulate” a recipient of this type of award for almost getting killed.

Sgt. 1st Class Alvaro Barrientos was wounded alongside three other soldiers last month after an Afghan soldier attacked them at a base in the Helmland province. Barrientos’ injuries required the amputation of his right leg below the knee.

The president and First Lady Melania Trump met with Barrientos and his wife at the hospital, and they had a small ceremony as Trump presented the sergeant with the Purple Heart.

The medal is the longstanding award bestowed upon those wounded or killed in their service to the U.S. Military.

“I heard about this and I wanted to do it myself,” said Trump. “Congratulations on behalf of Melania, myself, and the entire nation. Tremendous job.”

bf23eb47-c47b-40c1-9c43-16664263dd0b_zpsivg1i3aw.jpg

"Say, Al? I never served myself. Too rich for that crap. Howzabout, I hold on to that Purple Heart and walk around with it for a while since you can't? Sad."

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Another day of The Donald being The Donald with all the usual stupidity it entails.

"...the contest of all places was in Vietnam, which was very nice, I got a case of the shakes. It was in Vietnam. Vietnam's a hot country. But, you know, when I was going to high school, when I was going to college Vietnam was like the big deal. Like you have to leave college and go fight --. And I said, 'excuse me?' Now I'm going to Vietnam for a beauty pageant."

This is a real quote, btw.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Oh god, he's such a boor. Poor Sgt. Barrientos looks disgusted. Imagine the contrast, getting the medal from President Obama vs. Trump. It makes me weepy.

I think Trump keeps saying congratulations because he sees giving the medal as some reflection of himself. "Here I am, giving you a medal, which means you won something, so I am congratulating you because that's a big deal...to get a medal from me." He doesn't see it as an honor bestowed by the country.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The man is a vulgar, shallow-minded, ignorant ass, and insistent on demonstrating those qualities at every opportunity. This incident ought to really boost his abysmal approval ratings, especially among veterans. Every reputable TV news outlet needs to play this clip on every broadcast for the next month.

Or until something more absurd and outrageous comes along, which might happen yet today.

caw

BoF

Cautious Daredevil
Registered
Reaction score
"Ah, another special photo op. Stick around while I sing solo 'God Bless America'. It's going to be great, that I can tell you."

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Trump: Okay fine, don't actually give it to me, just pretend you're giving it to me. I'll give it back after the picture.

Sgt. Barrientos: Yeah no.

Mrs. Barrientos: I hope I don't run out of Xanax before this is over....

Melania: I got you.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

President Donald Trump congratulated an army sergeant for being wounded in Afghanistan during his visit to the Walter Reed Medical Center on Saturday. Except, of course, that it’s not appropriate to “congratulate” a recipient of this type of award for almost getting killed.

:Headbang:I believe thanking them for their sacrifice is the norm.

But hey, he's making progress, right? At least he didn't go on about how injuries were for losers because real heroes make it through without a scratch (the way he did about veterans who were captured by the enemy or about soldiers with PTSD not being strong).

Or saying, as he did when gifted with one, that he'd always wanted a Purple Heart of his own.

His various insults to the people who have served our country in the military didn't stop the overwhelming majority of them (whether active or veterans) for voting for him, however, so I decline to get too outraged on their behalf. They're getting what they asked for.

The rest of us are getting the POTUS they asked for too.:cry:

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

You know I don't have to be here. I could be at Mar A Largo having chocolate cake. It's the best chocolate. But I'm here, you're so lucky.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Bet he chose to give the medal to a soldier who lost a leg so there would be less chance of being kicked by he recipient. Although, one good punch and Sgt. Barrientos might have been getting medals from various other countries for 'services to humanity'.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Bet he chose to give the medal to a soldier who lost a leg so there would be less chance of being kicked by he recipient. Although, one good punch and Sgt. Barrientos might have been getting medals from various other countries for 'services to humanity'.

:roll:

Barrientos does have a rather flat expression on his face, doesn't he? Could be he wasn't one of the soldiers who voted for Trump.

Technophobe

Registered
Reaction score
I like how Milania looks like she's just on the verge of saying "What the hell am I even doing here? Where's Ivanka?".

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
And of course everyone was arranged so that the picture of Trump would be centred in the background as well.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
His various insults to the people who have served our country in the military didn't stop the overwhelming majority of them (whether active or veterans) for voting for him, however, so I decline to get too outraged on their behalf. They're getting what they asked for.

I think you need to document this assertion. I sure as hell didn't vote for him.

caw

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
I expect that's what the links on "active" and "veterans" are.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
It's kind of amazing how limited this guy's vocabulary is. I keep seeing the word "tremendous" in connection with him.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

"Alvaro Barrientos? Hmmm, that sounds kind of...foreign to me. I think we'd better check you out, Al and make sure you're not a bad hombre. Wait right here while I call ICE."

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
"Lemme tell ya, if I had been there, I'd have punched that SOB in the stomach so hard, he wouldn't have been able to straighten up long enough to shoot any of you. I'd be the BEST soldier, the best!"

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think you need to document this assertion. I sure as hell didn't vote for him.

caw

See the attached links, but I can find more if you'd like. Military people overwhelmingly voted for Trump. Of course, individuals vary within any group (I'm a white woman who didn't vote for him either, and I'm baffled that 53% of my own demographic did), but his disrespect for service people and veterans didn't seem to stop them from voting for him in high numbers.

It's kind of amazing how limited this guy's vocabulary is. I keep seeing the word "tremendous" in connection with him.

He seems to get fixated on certain words and use them over and over. He tossed "feckless" out several times during the campaign (with reference to Obama and to Clinton's policies). That's actually a pretty big word for him.

"Lemme tell ya, if I had been there, I'd have punched that SOB in the stomach so hard, he wouldn't have been able to straighten up long enough to shoot any of you. I'd be the BEST soldier, the best!"

I generally get along all right with people face to face, even when I disagree strongly with them on most issues. In the highly unlikely event I ended up sitting next to George W at a banquet someday, I could probably stick to talking about dogs or something. But Trump? I can't think of a single thing I'd have in common with him or want to discuss with him in over to overcome my desire to punch him. It's just as I never cross paths with the rich and powerful.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
"...the contest of all places was in Vietnam, which was very nice, I got a case of the shakes. It was in Vietnam. Vietnam's a hot country. But, you know, when I was going to high school, when I was going to college Vietnam was like the big deal. Like you have to leave college and go fight --. And I said, 'excuse me?' Now I'm going to Vietnam for a beauty pageant."

This quote, from the POTUS, disgusts me more than I can express. Vietnam wasn't "like" the big deal. It was the big deal. There's a black granite wall near the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., with 58,000+ names engraved in it to prove that. Some of those names are people I worked with in Vietnam. The Sonofabitch-in-Chief needs to be impeached solely on the basis of this statement.

caw