Self-publishing a "quirky" non-fiction book

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Firstly - it's good to be back after a long absence!

Secondly - I'm thinking about self-publishing.

Last year, whilst researching an article for The Wildean: A Journal of Oscar Wilde Studies, I was introduced to the wonderful and frequently bizarre world of The Era, Victorian Britain's principal theatrical newspaper. Purely for my own amusement I began to make a collection of the most amusing and interesting bits, most of them taken from the theatrical/music hall gossip columns and the small ads section, but after a while it occurred to me that there might be people out there who would find these offbeat insights into nineteenth-century theatrical life as entertaining as I do. Alas, the three British-based publishers of popular history I've been in touch with so far (all of whom accept unagented submissions) aren't interested - the general feeling seems to be that it's too much of a niche interest.

Rather than waste the time and effort I put into Fairies in Cabs: Comic and Curious Clippings From The Era, 1890-1900, but mindful of the fact that it's in no danger of becoming a bestseller, I'm considering publishing the book though Createspace. However, there are two problems. I live in England, which would mean that even a small number of books ordered from the USA would be horrendously expensive (thanks to shipping costs and import duty); and as an unpaid carer for my elderly father I'm not a taxpayer and am therefore unable to supply Createspace with a Tax ID number. Apparently the latter isn't essential, but if you don't supply one you can wave goodbye to a sizeable chunk of your royalties.

I would appreciate any advice self-pubbed AWers could give me.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
I think you may be a little confused by Createspace. When you put your book up there for sale, you aren't charged for any sales. The customer orders the book, Amazon takes production fees and its cut, and you receive the rest of the money.

Not sure how tax info works in the UK, so someone else might be better able to advise you there.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
I believe there is a workaround for the high shipping cost issue. Basically, I've heard that people in the UK publish their book, order a copy through Amazon, and then unpublish it while they wait for their review copy. Because published books are printed regionally, you don't run into the insane printing cost issue. But each book is more expensive than your at-cost price from the wholesale side.

Also, yes, if you don't provide your tax payer info to show that you're in a tax treaty country I believe they withhold 30% of any of the money they would pay you and then you have to file a form to get that money back when you file your UK taxes. If you sell enough copies, you're going to be a tax payer in the UK, though, no? So might as well get the taxpayer ID up front?

I say go for it. There's a guy on Kboards who did a translation of something written by Casanova and was able to even get a Bookbub on it at one point. You never know...But you should probably do ebook as well. No reason not to. (Some reasons not to do print, on the other hand, but probably not relevant to this conversation.)

Poke around Createspace because they have templates you can download for the formatting of the interior as well as a cover-creator tool that is probably sufficient for what you're trying to do.

Sleeping Cat Books

Booking design projects for fall
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
You may want to look into IngramSpark instead of CreateSpace. They have a print facility in Milton Keynes, and they pay revenues, not royalties, so they do not withhold anything for US taxes. They do, however, charge a $49 title setup fee, and then if you want to upload different files after approving the book, they charge $25 per file. But they pay more than CS for wide distribution (beyond Amazon).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I suggest that you use Creaetspace and arrange for a member like myself who is in the US to send you some copies via regular mail.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Alice!!!!

:hooray:

(Sorry. I can't offer any useful advice.)

Helix!!!!

*performs the exotic and as yet unfilmed "sand curlew friendship dance"*

Nice to hear from you again but sorry to learn that the front fell off.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions. I figured out how to send CreateSpace the required tax info, but since then I've also considered going the IngramSpark route. The problem with importing stuff from the USA to Britain isn't so much the shipping costs as the outrageous import duty/customs tax, which - as I've discovered from bitter experience - can almost double the cost of an item. Postage and packing costs from Milton Keynes are very reasonable indeed, so the $49 setup fee doesn't sound unreasonable.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! Okay, that clarifies matters. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, sounds like IngramSpark's definitely more of a fit.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
If you are going the IngramSpark route and aren't in a hurry, hold out for when they run a free promo for new title set-up. There may be a code that's valid right now? Something about IndieFringe? (Saw it on Kboards somewhere if you want to poke around there to find it.)

Usually each May they have a period where you can list new titles without paying that set-up fee. At least that's been the case the last two years.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't think the one-off issue of buying author copies is what should drive this choice. Especially as you will take a hit on ease-of-use and royalties/cover price via Amazon, which is likely to be your main e-tailer.

Createspace and Ingram are both Lightning Source interfaces as far as I understand it, so it's the same product.

Last edited:

Sleeping Cat Books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
If you are going the IngramSpark route and aren't in a hurry, hold out for when they run a free promo for new title set-up.

If you can get your files uploaded to IngramSpark before the end of this month, the code INDIEFRINGE17 will waive the $49 setup fee. In addition, they are waiving the file revision fees until June (I think), when their production costs will change.

So if you can get something close to your interior file thrown together and uploaded, then you can spend some more time on the formatting and upload the final file later.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
On reflection, CreateSpace is a heck of a lot easier to deal with than IngramSpark when your computer skills are fairly rudimentary.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Createspace and Ingram are both Lightning Source interfaces as far as I understand it, so it's the same product.
[pedant] CreateSpace uses a different printer (what used to be Book Surge), so it's a different product, but it does (now) use Ingram Spark for "extended distribution", so presumably ends up in the same channels. [/pedant]

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I finally decided to go with CreateSpace and I'm very pleased with the finished product (see new sig). The print version should be on Amazon by the end of the week!

*jumps up and down*

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Booyah!

Are you going to put up an ebook version as well?

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
It all depends on how the people at Kindle define "public domain". The Era is in the public domain but it's only accessible via the British Newspaper Archive's subscription site, so it's not as though I've copied swathes of material from Project Gutenberg. I'm hoping to hear back from Kindle today. Fingers crossed!

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the book is now on Amazon. And to celebrate I've worked out how to change a URL into a word!

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I've sold my first copy!

*Dances round the room wondering what to spend the £2.74 royalty on*

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you with the 2 sales!! It's exciting to see your rank go up.:hooray:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Alas, I've hit a problem: when I decided to go with CreateSpace I didn't realize that their "expanded distribution" didn't include Gardners, from whom most bookshops in Britain order their stock. This automatically excluded me from Samuel French's Theatre Bookshop (online only since April, sadly) and the Victoria and Albert Museum bookshop, both of whom would have been interested in stocking the book. It appears that the choice before me is sticking with CreateSpace and having minimal sales, or pulling the CreateSpace edition, buying a block of ISBNs as I intend Fairies in Cabs to be part of a series, and paying IngramSpark's setup fee. At least IngramSpark UK distributes through Gardners.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
It appears that the choice before me is sticking with CreateSpace and having minimal sales, or pulling the CreateSpace edition, buying a block of ISBNs as I intend Fairies in Cabs to be part of a series, and paying IngramSpark's setup fee. At least IngramSpark UK distributes through Gardners.

You don't need to pull the Createspace edition. Just publish with Ingram Spark; I know several authors who do both.

Sleeping Cat Books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
You don't need to pull the Createspace edition. Just publish with Ingram Spark; I know several authors who do both.
The caveat to that is that if they used a free CS ISBN and republished through IS, they'd end up with two listings on Amazon, which could confuse potential buyers. A confused buyer will often move along to another product. If they used a free ISBN, it's best to remove the CS edition from distribution and republish with a new ISBN at IS.

If they used their own ISBN at CS, they'd need to make sure the book is out of Expanded Distribution, out of the Ingram catalogue, before publishing with the same ISBN at IS.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. Yes, I used CreateSpace's free ISBN; I want Fairies in Cabs to be part of a series, so I'm prepared to buy a block of ten ISBNs.

However, there may be another problem: the book is a compilation of extracts from a nineteenth-century newspaper accessed via the British Newspaper Archive. The material is in the public domain but I checked that the BNA were happy for me to use it in a self-published book (they were - commercial publishing would have been a different matter). But whilst I was browsing the IngramSpark and Nielsen websites I came across the question "Are you the copyright holder?" Obviously the answer is no, unless adding an introduction, explanatory notes and index are enough to put the book into the "original work" category.