Coffee Maker Cleaning and Maintenance Suggestions?

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just recently started getting a rancid odor from my coffee maker, which meant it was time to clean it. Here's my typical cleaning process:

• Run once with just plain filtered water to remove any grounds that may have built up.
  • Turn off and let cool for 10 minutes
  • Run once with a 50/50 mixture of vinegar/water to remove oils that have built up on the internal mechanics
  • Run with plain filtered water to rinse
  • Rinse a second time with plain filtered water

I got to thinking though, that as religious as this may sound, that perhaps I was missing something being the faux coffee snob that I am. It turns out, that I am very much a faux, and barely a snob. I found another forum where several suggested a few additional pointers for those that insist on using a drip brewing system. Specifically, those are:

• Before the vinegar flush, run a pot of water with a 1/3 cup of bleach to clean bacteria build up!
  • When setting up your brewer, never use the carafe to add the water to the reservoir (though why this is I have no idea - maybe because oils can get transferred right back in?)
  • Last but not least - stop using a drip brewing system and switch to a French press! LOL (That last one is kind of a joke, but the argument is that because a French press can be completely disassembled and cleaned, then no oils or bacteria can build up on the internal components, which kind of makes sense. :)

This got me to thinking/reading a bit more, and boy did that open up a can of worms. Real coffee snobs not only avoid drip brewers, but they also grind their own coffee using a specific kind of grinder called a burr grinder. Heck, there are even purists out there that roast their own beans! You can really go hog wild here. The grinders can run upwards of $300, and roasters upwards toward $1600!!!

All that said, I had quite the information dump this morning on coffee brewing, grinding, and roasting. I found my information from a site called Sweetmarias.com (where all these links point to). It looks pretty solid in terms of information, ad-free, and there's even suggested products for practically everything. I am not a sponsor or anything, but it seems legit. Long story short - I have a couple questions:

1. Is there anything inherently wrong or missing from my cleaning process?
2. Anyone here have their own methods they use for grinding out their favorite pot of java?
3. Any good books that people can recommend for reading up on this more?
4. Relative to question #3 - might there be interest in kind of a "soup to nuts" book for the coffee snob novice book (once I learn more of course! :) ) A potential working title is "From Bean To Cup" - j/k btw, that title is obviously too good to not be taken already! :)

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hell, I don't even do that much. I run a single vinegar-water cycle if and only if the drip is greatly slowed (always due to mineral build-up), followed by two plain-water cycles for a thorough rinse. I don't worry about bacteria--that's very hot water rushing through the works.

I occasionally wipe out the compartment in the grinding part of our coffee maker, where the beans build up a sort of crystalline deposit that makes the assembly not slide in easily. If I hadn't been inconvenienced by having to expend a little effort to put the thing in, I doubt I'd clean it as often as I do.

As to pouring from the carafe, it's because the assumption is that the carafe is not pristine and freshly washed but only rinsed from the last coffee it held. When that's the case, the oils and even traces of grounds that got past the filter go into the fresh brew, which is not cool.

I've owned a bean grinder but donated it to Goodwill after I got a coffee maker that also grinds. It does just fine.

I do not care for coffee from a press pot. I've had it maybe a half dozen times and it always has grounds in it. Yuck.

Maryn, hardly a coffee snob

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Is this one of those Nespresso machines? I don't think running bleach through it is a good idea.

I have a grinder, a selection of French presses and stove-top coffee pots, all of them very easy to clean. I don't roast my own beans, but I do go to the plantations to buy them. Not a coffee snob, just close to a range of plantations. I'll be okay when the war starts.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Nespresso are pod machines, not drip, though different from Keurig. Drip are like Mr. Coffee, just spews a stream of heated water over grounds.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I use a burr grinder.

I grind the beans just before using them usually, and I use a grind setting based on how I prepare the coffee (i.e. espresso grind vs pour over).

I also use an Aeropress*. I even travel with it, it's low fuss, low mess, the grounds and filter can go in the compost, and the Aeropress can go in the dishwasher.

It doesn't need electricity, just hot water and coffee, and Aeropress filters or a reusable Aeropress filter.

It makes kickass coffee. Here's the official site.

I used to travel with a French press, but the coffee grounds sometimes end up in the coffee; not so with the Aeropress.

And were I making a pot of coffee, I'd probably use the Pour over method, honestly. And then too, the dishwasher is fine for the pot and the cone.

* Affiliate link for AW

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a coffee snob. I like my coffee strong and black. We have a cheap Mr Coffee. ie, on/off switch, not programmable. We do use whole beans, grind them in a ? (well known grinder). About once a year we run the 50/50 vinegar water through it. Only because we have crappy water with a high calcium content. When it stops working we put it in the recycle and get another one just like it.

MM

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Good info from all, tks! My sister's husband (so, my brother-in-law) has what I think is a French press and a cheapo coffee grinder that he swears he can press, with no grounds or seepage through the press itself. I can taste a huge difference on that basis alone. From personal observation, it seems quite a bit matters on the quality of the water you start with as well.

After the city water comes into my house, I have a 6-stage water filter that removes a lot more of the chemicals the city leaves in that they consider "potable" (though this makes me shudder when I go to change the first three every six months). Used filter after discarding it here (and yes, the new one is pure white!):

34052955882_cbede67b84_c.jpg

I actually have a coffee-maker I enjoy, and would hate to dispose of it for another one that works similarly, and am considering "upgrading" my game so appreciate the specific hardware recommendations from AW Admin and others.

All the above being said, does anyone have any guidance for books that would constitute good research points for possibly putting something together myself? New working title (unless Google proves futile again):

Coffee Joe to Coffee Pro
:roll:

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
We have dairy farms and tea plantations too. The only downside is that we're about 3,000km closer to North Korea than you are.

But you'll have coffee. And milk to put in it. And presumably sugar, thanks to the cane plantations in FNQ. This outweighs any proximity risks. :)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use a burr grinder.

I grind the beans just before using them usually, and I use a grind setting based on how I prepare the coffee (i.e. espresso grind vs pour over).

I also use an Aeropress*. I even travel with it, it's low fuss, low mess, the grounds and filter can go in the compost, and the Aeropress can go in the dishwasher.

It doesn't need electricity, just hot water and coffee, and Aeropress filters or a reusable Aeropress filter.

It makes kickass coffee. Here's the official site.

I used to travel with a French press, but the coffee grounds sometimes end up in the coffee; not so with the Aeropress.

And were I making a pot of coffee, I'd probably use the Pour over method, honestly. And then too, the dishwasher is fine for the pot and the cone.

* Affiliate link for AW

Interesting, my son had been using a French press coffee maker and I noticed tonight he had switched to an Aeropress. First time I ever saw one.

Back before I had to give up all but a tiny dose of caffeine, a little expresso pot was my best way to make coffee. I used whole beans and a little generic grinder.

Kids these days. :tongue

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
A good cup of coffee is one of life's real pleasures and I am always trying new ways to make it. I have a regular, programmable, automatic drip coffee pot and while the coffee is acceptable it's not fabulous, however I always seem to go back to it because I'm lazy and I like to have coffee ready when I wake up. I have two French presses which I don't like - it takes too much effort to make and I find that the press gets funky after a while. The best coffee I've found is an old fashioned, electric perk coffee maker - the kind my grandmother had. I bought one at a yard sale and it really does make a good cup of joe but it does take a while to do it.

As an aside if you want to clean your metal coffee carafe (mine gets a hard, grimy build up after awhile) the best way to clean it is to throw a dishwashing tab in it, and top with boiling water. Let sit for a couple of hours and then toss and rinse, it will be sparkling clean!

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
All the above being said, does anyone have any guidance for books that would constitute good research points for possibly putting something together myself? New working title (unless Google proves futile again):

Coffee Joe to Coffee Pro
:roll:

My recommendation would be to take a barista course.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
My recommendation would be to take a barista course.

Now that is a brilliant idea! Way outside the box of what I was thinking, but spot on with gaining long term benefits and insights not only into my own coffee palette but also along the lines of gaining enough wisdom/expertise to write on the subject. Thanks a bunch...

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I have a 20 year old classic Gaggia machine . It is used every day , but I heat the milk in the microwave. Never cleaned it, just bang out the old coffe and refill. My machine is an original Italian made one, I belive Gaggia has been sold to Philips and the modern machines are not as good .

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing I love about coffee, starting in late spring and in summer, is cold brew coffee. This method relies on time and your refrigerator, and is both full of flavor and low acid.

You can by inexpensive cold brew coffee makers, but a jar works just fine.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Another thing I love about coffee, starting about now, is cold brew coffee. This method relies on time and your refrigerator, and is both full of flavor and low acid.

Ooh! I haven't tried that.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Another thing I love about coffee, starting in late spring and in summer, is cold brew coffee. This method relies on time and your refrigerator, and is both full of flavor and low acid.

Sounds interesting...tks :)

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
$10 Mr Coffee brewer from the discount store. Freshly ground espresso grind coffee. To Clean I use straight distilled white vinegar for one run. That loosens up the scale that I can scrub it. Then 2 runs of plain water

If you are using your coffee maker daily I doubt that there's much need to use bleach. Things live in a certain environment and not much can survive going from room temp to boiling and back. If there's ever a rancid smell, it's for me always been that the milk was starting to sour

Last edited:

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
In my cheapo coffee maker there's no barrier between the water reservoir and the filter/cup thingy; the result is that steam containing traces of coffee condenses on the ceiling of the water reservoir and drips down into it. So I find cleaning by just running liquid through the machine to be inadequate, I have to scrub out the water reservoir and especially inside the lid (the ceiling).