• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for Betas for Speculative Fiction Betas 100k Adult Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Looking for beta for an Adult speculative fiction 100k novel. It's a post apocalyptic with dystopian and utopian settings, diverse characters, paranormal powers and some philosophy and science. Plenty of action and intrigue.

I'm looking for more big picture crits more than anything and I'm willing to message you my wip query if you want. I've been writing for five years and this is my second novel, so you won't be dealing with newbie mistakes. You might even be entertained. :)

Dream Beta (not required):
Has a written at least one novel, published or unpublished.
Is or used to be active in the AW community.
Writes dark fantasy, spec fic, or science fiction.

I might not answer back too quickly, as my internet has been inconsistent as of late.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I write spec fic, and would be willing to swap. I haven't published, but I'm done (ish, after 5+ full rewrites) and have had a paid editor (she's on the final section) and lots of betas.

I'm really struggling to know what feedback is useful or not, since most of my betas dont read or write spec fic. In particular, I think my first section has pacing issues and I want to know how the complexity feels to other people. I've posted here before asking for short swaps but ended up not getting round to it because of waiting on editor.

Also, here's the kicker - you don't have to finish mine. If you get bored, tell me where and why and I won't be offended. AND, I am happy to finish yours regardless of whether you feel like finishing mine.

I've also got some philosophy stuff going and would love to see how someone else handles it. I have a short excerpt up somewhere on SYW, although it's not up to date anymore, but maybe it will give you an idea on whether or not you think I'd be a waste of time ;-)

Last edited:

MisterBrantastic

Funky like a Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
I'm down to read either of your works, though I have nothing to offer of my own at the moment. Last week, I embarked on a bold new revision of my current WIP, and it's currently whimpering in the corner with the entire middle having been yanked out messily. I'm working on the rewrites, and would appreciate some down-the-road critique partner love, but as of right now, wouldn't ask either of you to read a thing.

I also write spec-fic, though I lean more towards cyberpunk than spec fantasy or any such thing. In this one, at least. My next WIP is either even further sci-fi, or a hard right into modern fantasy ghost story adventure. So, I'm a big fan of that kinda thing.

Fabio_of_Mullets

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hey just joined the forum, I have a little bit of writing experience, trying to get my pieces polished up and sent to publishers... Anyways, I deal with post apocalypse stuff alot and write some on the survivalism sites as well. Have read several novels in that genre. If you'd like a perspective from my area I'd be glad to lend a hand.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this thread, as most of my betas have mysteriously disappeared.

Still looking for a couple more big picture readers. :)

JoeSmith

Registered
Reaction score
I'd definitely be interested in reading your work. I'm a dark fantasy writer but a huge dystopian and sci-fi fan. I mostly write short stories but have one or two incomplete novels (not giving up on them though). PM me if you want and we can discuss more details.

MartinV

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in a critique exchange. My WIP is an epic fantasy to be looked at by a fellow writer who does not fear mature topics (nothing too severe, of course). PM me and let's get started.

Scarlett1108i

Registered
Reaction score
Hi phantasy. I would be happy to take a look at your work and offer my feedback. Please note that I am very new at this, although I am a long time reader! To ensure I provide you with the level of detail you need, please let me know what specific deliverables you are looking for (assuming you are still looking for beta readers.) Thanks!

- Scarlett

Status
Not open for further replies.