The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: *taps mic* is this thing on?

*taps mic* is this thing on?

Uh, hello. I've been lurking for a while, and have now stepped out into the light.

I've been a writer by vocation and avocation for a couple of decades. I've done legal writing, technical writing, film criticism, and general essay-writing. What I have never, ever done is fiction. Until the better part of a year ago, at least. Some persistent, unaccountable bee got in my bonnet last summer, and since then I've been working on what I think I can now safely call my first novel. It is completely absorbing (despite a demanding day job), and possibly the most emotionally flaying experience of my life.

The novel is - or rather, I hope it shall be - a literary historical, about lesbians in the McCarthy era.

I have a 22-chapter outline, some of which is fairly rich with detail and some of which is in need of more. I also have a first draft of the first 10 chapters, 50,000 words, give or take. And, I have a list of ideas on how to rewrite, improve, or otherwise change what's already there. But I have pledged to keep moving forward for now, and save those ideas for the first comprehensive revision. Oh, and the research! There is so much lovely research.

As for who I am, and how my brain works, I'll say this: I thought "dilettante" would be an apt choice of screen name, but it was already spoken for. So Lakey it is.
    Last edited by Lakey; 04-21-2017 at 04:19 PM.

now with magical wizard powers be frank's Avatar
    The early bird may catch the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

here be all the query exercises

Nasty Woman AW Moderator regdog's Avatar

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
    at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
    Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
    Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
    50 posts. Donít make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
    Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other membersí works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
    Hereís how to Promote With Aplomb.
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

figuring it all out
    Love the story-- welcome

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Excellent premise. Can't wait to read it!

Welcome to AW, I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here!

reading all the things Anna Iguana's Avatar
    Hi, Lakey. See you around the boards.
    I'm Anna @StoryToolbox on Twitter.

Well, thank you folks. Evidently being new to both novel-writing and the forum doesn't hold me back from having opinions and expressing them.

Go down road, go pub. Mary Mitchell's Avatar
    Welcome
    It's a simple fact of life that not everyone will be your target audience.

Procrastinator Extraordinaire Lillian_Blaire's Avatar
    Hi, Lakey. Welcome to the forum (officially, since you say you've been lurking).
    Lil is just full of of sweetness and love, with a side of raunchy innuendo. That never hurt anyone! - Jaymz
    Tell that to the guy(s) manacled in her basement... - be frank

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian_Blaire View Post
    Hi, Lakey. Welcome to the forum (officially, since you say you've been lurking).
    Why, thank you. I am in love with your avatar.

5657 Brežendra Rd., Treskebhar, Te’hănys, Alharhan
    Welcome to the forum, Lakey
    That's Tee kee' rahm

Say hello to my whistling dragon, Kykherhenha (and that is pronounced Kich' kee ree' nah)

Howdy!
    Fiction blog as Manuel Royal: Donnetown Today or Recently (or a Long Time Ago)

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin E. Steve's Avatar
    Welcome to a fellow newbie. You mention all the research. Having tried writing a novel over 30 years ago, and now having just completed the first draft of another, I almost feel like I'm cheating with so much information available online now. Good luck.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Lafleche's Avatar
    That does sound like an exciting project. Are you familiar with Miss Beverly Shaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Lafleche View Post
    That does sound like an exciting project. Are you familiar with Miss Beverly Shaw?
    I have read about Beverly Shaw! In fact she inspired a nightclub scene in my book (which turned out to be a useful scene in which to do a lot of things for my story) and a singer named Stevie Shaw who performs there. How do you know of her - and what else do you know that I might not have come across in my research yet? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by E. Steve View Post
    Welcome to a fellow newbie. You mention all the research. Having tried writing a novel over 30 years ago, and now having just completed the first draft of another, I almost feel like I'm cheating with so much information available online now. Good luck.
    Given my demanding day job (an obstacle I suspect many of us on this forum have to contend with) I don't know what I would do without the internet. I have read quite a few books for research and have many ideas of stuff I'd like to go research in person, but in the meantime the internet has been so invaluable, especially for small details. I don't think I could have done this before the internet.
    Last edited by Lakey; 04-26-2017 at 04:21 PM.