Oh, Chaffetz, Do They Have Something On You?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Chaffetz has said he will not run for office in 2018. This is significant not just because there were thoughts he might run for Hatch's Senate seat (Hatch has said he is going to run again) but more significantly, it's much harder to re-fill an empty seat than get a congressperson reelected. This would leave the GOP very vulnerable in that opening.

Now today, word is bubbling up that he won't even finish the term. This could mean one of two things: kompromat (which is what everyone's tweeting about, and Snopes is calling unfounded thus far) or to put someone in the seat now who can then run for reelection. I'd love to believe the former (because I'm a petty dog), but I wonder if the GOP power brokers convinced him to fall on his sword and do the latter. It's going to be some interesting watching.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Chaffetz' seat is about as safe a Repulican seat as you'll find anywhere. It hardly matters which Republican runs or who runs against them.

However, Chaffetz is not particularly popular these days, despite having won his last election with 73% of the vote. A contested election, even though he would win, might be politically damaging, and he is looking toward the 2018 Utah governor's race.

Governor of Utah is his next goal.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Additional info. I would have agreed with you about the seat before, rugcat. Now? Not so much. The GOP is nervous.

I think you're right about him running for Gov, but it's going to be interesting to see if he can outrun what is sure to be looked at as a cowardly exit from congress.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Additional info. I would have agreed with you about the seat before, rugcat. Now? Not so much. The GOP is nervous.

I think you're right about him running for Gov, but it's going to be interesting to see if he can outrun what is sure to be looked at as a cowardly exit from congress.
I misspoke about the governor's race – it's 2020 not 2018.

I agree with the WaPO article that Chaffetz is in a difficult position politically, with no upside. Another term in Congress would probably damage his political prospects in Utah, no matter what the outcome of a Trump presidency. Utah, though massively red, is a state that really does not like Donald Trump at all.

Evan McMullen did quite well in Utah and took a lot of Republican votes. Although Trump ultimately won, he only received 45% of the popular vote. Contrast this to four years earlier, where Mitt Romney won almost 73% running against President Obama.

However, I really don't see any Democrat winning Chaffetz' seat. Although he's not popular, any Democrat at all would be even less popular. Of course, there's always the chance that if he decided to run again he could be primaried out, a very real possibility.

It's possible there's some shady dealings going on, but I don't think that's the reason for his decision not to seek reelection. He doesn't need to be in ethical trouble to be looking for a way out.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
This self imposed "term limit" (for whatever reason) is refreshing. Congress would probably be well served if more Members - on both sides of the aisle- followed suit.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Chaffetz' seat is about as safe a Repulican seat as you'll find anywhere. It hardly matters which Republican runs or who runs against them.'/quote]

I was going to say the same thing. In this part of Utah, someone could probably back out at the last minute and be replaced by a dog, and the seat would stay Republican.

I also suspect he's looking at his long-term political prospects, unless there is indeed some kind of scandal lurking in the wings.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Chaffetz is an astute politician who has helped fuel the speculation he would run for president at some point in the future. I think he's read the tea leaves and sees the governorship as a better path toward that goal. He gets to distance himself from the hash up in DC while upping his political capital.

Although like ElaineA, I too am hoping for a scandal.

EM

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Would Utah vote for a candidate for Governor who doesn't finish a House term?