The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Ellysian Press

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Dawn Douglas's Avatar

Ellysian Press

Does anyone have experience with Ellysian Press? This is their website: http://www.ellysianpress.com/

No experience with them, but this is what I see:

Strike 1: Their home page is targeted to authors rather than readers.

Strike 2: The images scrolling at the top of the page are really badly rendered (at least on my computer).

Strike 3: They mention that they are naming themselves after the Elysian Fields, but then misspell that in their name. Which is strange.

Only one of those is really and truly a red flag (the first), but the others don't inspire confidence. On the plus side, they are somewhat narrow in the genres they represent. All of speculative fiction is still pretty broad, but manageable (I'd think). On the cover front, some of them are really good, and others aren't. Lastly, they don't seem to have experience in publishing, which is never a great sign.

A publisher that doesn't know how to spell "Elysian" doesn't exactly inspire confidence...
    THE SOUND OF LIFE AND EVERYTHING (G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, May 2015)
    DON'T VOTE FOR ME (Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, August 2015)
    DON'T SOLVE THE PUZZLE (Bloomsbury Children's, Winter 2019)

www.kristavandolzer.blogspot.com

I'd assumed that the misspelling of Elysian was done on purpose. But even if it was, most people wouldn't know to spell it their way, which makes the choice to add that extra "l" a fail in the marketing department. It's also impossible to find their location.
    Last edited by Dawn Douglas; 04-21-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Based in Nevada (registered as a home-based business in '14). Not to be confused with Elysian Press out of CA (http://www.elysianpress.com/).
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Thanks for the info CaoPaux