Just got my ass handed to me

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, that may be a little over-dramatic. But anyway...

I got my latest WIP pushed through a copy editor for the first time. It was an eye-opener. I thought I did pretty well in that department, most of my errors being just sloppiness.

Yeah, not so much. :Shrug:She included this comment: "The author is massively addicted to ellipses and unneeded commas." :roll:

Suitably chastised, I retreat to my cave to lick my wounds. But I'm holding on to the annotated copy of the MS for future reference.

Bassel

climbing steps
Registered
Reaction score
You had me laughing out loud. But hey, it's a step forward. Every writer is gonna or has already gone through that. It's a rite of passage, except we have to go through it ten million times.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It only took me one beta reader to break me of my fondness for ellipses. I still use them, but I consider it really carefully first. I remain overtly, madly in love with commas.

Maryn, using one now!

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
I was just telling mine the other day, "Thank you very much for taming my mania for semi-colons."

And now I just spent ten minutes reading up on semi-colon vs semicolon.

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Haha! I barely use ellipses and I don't think I have a problem with commas or semi-colons. Dashes, on the other hand....:scared::flag::gone:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I got my latest WIP pushed through a copy editor for the first time. It was an eye-opener. I thought I did pretty well in that department, most of my errors being just sloppiness.

Yeah, not so much. :Shrug:She included this comment: "The author is massively addicted to ellipses and unneeded commas." :roll: I would say "I object to the editors unnecessary adverb" lol this is my problem, commas, em-dash and semi-colons.

Suitably chastised, I retreat to my cave to lick my wounds. But I'm holding on to the annotated copy of the MS for future reference.
Hey you've made it farther than most, congrats!!!!!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com

Yeah, not so much. :Shrug:She included this comment: "The author is massively addicted to ellipses and unneeded commas." :roll:

I had a creative writing instructor who would not permit a single ellipses in our work. I probably use too many now. Plus em dashes. I'm not a semi-colon person, but I have to watch my commas.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I seem to have an addiction to em dashes too. I get my copy edits next week. Should I be worried? (I already am, but still) lol

Reaction score

ellipses for what? if is it because someone says something slowly, you could also use pause---- Bret Easton Ellis does this a lot and he is a colon lover! and the best writer eva.

My copy editor found a big continuity error in my first book.

They also tend to nuke all my semicolons. :)

Man, I will not use a semicolon. Scream business english to me for some reason.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
My editor has been adding semicolons. I like them, but not THAT many.

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
Not even three post-secondary grammar courses can beat my love of commas and em dashes out of me. I would be more upset by this, but I've had more than one prof tell me that my writing is always a treat to read, so...:Shrug:

skyhawk0

Registered
Reaction score
I type the proper ASCII code for special characters. If you're willing to type ALT-0151 for an em-dash and ALT-0133 for an ellipse, you know you mean it.