The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Writers block due to specific medium?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin mike33phillip's Avatar

Writers block due to specific medium?

I'm sure there are a lot of writers like myself who enjoy switching between writing long hand, on a type-writer, and on a computer, depending on what is being written. I'm curious to know if anyone who switches mediums notice that they are more or less prone to writers block due to whichever medium they're using? For me I have the worst writers block when I write on a computer; I'm sure it has something to do with the amount of distractions a computer brings. Oddly enough I find the least amount with a typewriter. What do you all think?

practical experience, FTW anakhouri79's Avatar
    I am incapable of sitting in front of a computer and writing. My mind completely blanks. I have to write longhand, which makes me very slow, but it also means I carry a notebook with so I can literally write anywhere, no electrical outlet needed, so maybe it balances out?

Very true, I also carry a notebook with me. I usually write less though overall when I write longhand. Once I get on a roll on a type writer or computer I just go and go.

I get more writing done longhand than on the computer. I'm not sure why. I think because on the computer I usually get distracted easily, thus finding something else to do. o.o

Haha I'm exactly the same way

practical experience, FTW
    Is the distraction of a computer based on the internet? If so, stay off-line when you write. I'm always amused by people who see me working on my laptop somewhere, and ask me what the password for the wi-fi is. When I tell them I'm just working on a document and not on-line, I get the most jawdropping looks. Everybody assumes that everybody is connected 24/7. Don't be.

As for me, I do a lot of longhand (much more convenient than the computer if I'm out somewhere), but work about equally well on the keyboard. I do sometimes notice a difference in prose style, however. I tend to be wordier in longhand. As I'm aware of that, it represents no real problem in editing, and I do a lot of rough editing as I write, anyway.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

Definitely food for thought! I would say that almost, if not all distractions on a computer come from the Internet.

practical experience, FTW SJ Gordon's Avatar
    I used to prefer writing longhand, but my arthritic hands had other ideas. :P I have found that if I'm getting too distracted, it's time to bring out the kitchen timer. I set my timer for a small, non-intimidating period of time, say, 10 to 20 minutes, and tell myself I will do nothing but write until the timer goes off. I can keep doing that as long as I feel like it's helping me (and it really does help me) stay on task. Or, if after my first time increment, I feel like I need to be allowed to figuratively (and sometimes literally) get up and run around for a bit, great. But then, I can sit back down, set my timer, and have another whack at it.
    ~SJ

Come by for a new short-short story every weekday! http://www.thescheherazadeproject.com Find me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/TSPStories

Mallard photo by Jon Sullivan of pdphoto.org

practical experience, FTW Tsu Dho Nimh's Avatar
    My handwriting is illegible, and it hurts to hold the pen or pencil.

no computer = chicken-scratches

I just close the browser and write, but computer screens have been my writing environment since the PC-AT was released.

I gotcha, that makes sense. Yeah I think a lot of people prefer computers due to handwriting capabilities.