Ingram Spark books in Australia - anyone having this problem?

SandyC

Registered
Reaction score
I initially had my book printed by CreateSpace which meant it was available via Amazon in US and UK, but Australian purchasers had to pay high shipping costs to obtain a paperback, so I went through Ingram Spark for Australian distribution only. I was assured it would be available on all major bookshop and library databases if I paid $85 - and I did, and it is!

But ... I've had 3 potential customers call me today to say the bookshops they went to told them it was only available via Ingram Spark in the US and would cost twice its RRP to get it shipped to Australia.

I then conducted my own little investigation, calling Dymocks and asking if they could get it in, and they told me the same story - the book is listed as Ingram Spark US and it will cost at least $50 to get it in!

I phoned IS, and they told me that this was the fault of the bookshops. I realize it's not IS's fault, my book is certainly listed on these databases but apparently the price is shown in US$ and that, it would seem, confuses the bookseller. I discussed this with IS and they told me there's really not much they can do about it, and that they had never received any complaints from authors about this so it can't be much of a problem. (Could this be because authors don't know that customers are being told it has to come from the US?)

Surely IS could make more money if their Australian authors were selling more books! Has anyone else run into this problem and if so, what did you do about it?

C Alberts

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... I don't have any experience specific to this, but based on this page about Spark's international distribution, it looks to me that IS has specific bookstore partners in Australia. The language is quite different than the section on the U.S. It doesn't appear that IS actually prints the books in Australia (thus saving the shipping costs). Are these customers working with one of the bookstores on the list?