How to write hard SF if you're not a Scientist?

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
(People in a hurry may want to skip to the IN SHORT section.)

The title is misleading, in that it suggests that scientists are best at writing hard SF. They are not, at least as a group. In fact, experts in any field are handicapped at writing fiction in their field, though it be art or science. They "know" too much. This leads them to lose sight of the forest for the trees. It also leads them to assume as truth what are really theories.

This is especially true in science, especially in the "hard" sciences where so many theories are so well supported and have been for decades, even centuries. Officially every scientist believes that every theory is conditional, based on observational evidence, especially evidence based on carefully controlled often double-blind experiments designed to eliminate observational biases.

In real life, they "know" that outer space is a vacuum because the atmosphere continually decreases in density as height from the Earth's surface increases - a "fact" that has over two centuries of evidence behind it including that of ordinary people. They also "know" that travel at faster than light is impossible, and that time travel is impossible, and that "magic" if real is just superscience not yet understood.

This isn't to say that total ignorance of science is good for writing SF. It's bad, especially if we have any hope of writing SF with hard-science bases. If we write SF that ignores what everyone, even non-scientists, "knows" we'd better have very convincing support for the "impossible" events we portray.

I said CONVINCING. I didn't say TRUE. Our job as writers is not to tell truth, at least directly. Our job (to my mind) is to tell higher truths with fiction: very convincing lies. Especially truths of the heart and mind. Of wisdom, some would say.

In SF, our job is not to predict the future. It is to SPECULATE about the future, to give readers warning about bad alternative futures or to suggest good alternative futures. We do occasionally correctly predict the future, but by the sheer logic of shotgun fire: some pellets by accident will sometimes hit the target even if our aim is badly off.

So what do we do if we want to write hard SF?
IN SHORT

Obviously SF writers need to know at least some basic science. Here are some suggestions if you want to brush up on your knowledge. Do you have more, some favorites perhaps?

SF classic writer Arthur C. Clarke wrote a series of essays so profound that many of the ideas in them will resonate for centuries to come. So did Isaac Asimov. They are collected in Profiles of the Future and The Roving Mind. The styles of both writers were entertaining and super clear. And Clarke's style was so simple and lyrical that it approached poetry.

There are lots of magazines to choose from to learn more about scientific subjects. For quick updates on the very latest news I like the following three.

Science Daily
Phys.Org
Science News

Anyone who writes SF and doesn't know a little bit about Systems Theory is profoundly handicapped. Wikipedia is a good place to start. I don't know of a book that I'd recommend. (Maybe some of you do.)

TACTICS

Here are some techniques I've seen in hard SF stories. Maybe you can add more.

Show technical effects, don't explain them. In most stories it's not important if the power unleashed by flicking on a light switch comes from a dam, atomic power plant, or a solar tap. Or if fast space travel comes from a high-powered ion drive, jump into hyperspace, or warping of local spacetime.

In particular, don't give theories behind the effects. Chances are (even IF you're a scientist) you'll get it wrong or woefully incomplete. Knowledgeable people will feel cheated, unknowing ones annoyed by what seems an expository lump.

Show emotional and intellectual effects of technical events. These are what even hard-SF fans care most about.

Carefully choose what "impossible" scientific facts you use in your story. Heinlein suggest using only one. I wouldn't go that far, but the fewer we use the less trouble we'll have with science fans.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Laer, this is an excellent post. I've taken the liberty of making a cliff notes version of the In Short as well that speaks to reading materials and tactics for writing specifically in SF with a few commentary elements of my own. I hope you don't mind my bastardizing here...

Profiles of the Future - Added to my Amazon wish list (sadly in paperback and hardcover only :( Wish it was available on Kindle)
The Roving Mind - Purchased for Kindle
Science Daily - Already in my daily read! :)
Phys.Org - It was bookmarked, but buried...
Science News - Bookmarked, but I don't visit as often as I should
Systems Theory - Bookmarked, and read a while ago, but refreshing at regular intervals helps!

These are excellent resources. Jokingly, I'd curse you for hindering my goal of reading 50 books in 2017, but in all seriousness, thanks for helping me clean out some ridiculously redundant and obtuse bookmarks for daily reads. This helped so much!

TACTICS
Show technical effects, don't explain them...
Show emotional and intellectual effects of technical events...
Carefully choose what "impossible" scientific facts you use in your story. Heinlein suggest using only one...

The age old axiom of show don't tell couldn't be more self evident here. It's emotions that people connect to, not long expositions. I am notoriously horrid at forgetting these two and getting bogged down in info dumps, so have made Post-It notes of the first two here.

The third point, impossible facts, is one I'd not heard specifically detailed as coherently as you have, but it makes sense. If you as a writer go off on wild tangents with hairs up various body parts, readers will get lost, so I can totally see the validity of this. Thanks so much for putting this together! :)

(If I could rep this more than once I would, instead, I'll just suggest making it a sticky!)

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
This is a great post, Laer, certainly speaks to what's been on my mind lately. I'm sure plenty of you know about Atomic Rockets (may even be a few from that clique here), Nyrath's 'Respecting Science' page is a great resource for this.

Brave Sir Robin

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed your post, Laer. I have a casual interest in quantum physics. I can't come close to doing the math, or even understanding it. But there are plenty of resources out there that break down the prevailing principles in laymen's terms. I will never fool a scientist. But I can understand enough to lend some authority to my writing.

GeoWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a scientist who likes real science in my science fiction and am a bit impatient with technology and jargon masquerading as science. However, a writer doesn't have to be an expert in science to capture some of the feel and adventure of scientific exploration. I've been reading and enjoying some of the science fiction of L E Modesitt. There are some inconsistencies with real science, but the pacing and methodologies of scientific inquiry seem very real to me. Science fiction is fiction after all, and a writer doesn't have to write a textbook in order to engage me in curiosity, investigation, and discovery. In fact, I don't like textbooks.

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
As a card-carrying scientist who has written first-contact novel, I'm mired in revising parts of it to deal with exactly the issues Laer highlights.

Expertise can truly be a handicap when trying to tell a story which must first and foremost present fallible human beings dealing with exceptional situations. In my revisions I've had to severely pare accounts of the mechanics behind spaceflight, Faster-Than-Light or no. More than once . . . (Many years, too many years, spent working on flight projects.)

I find it's not possible to ignore those issues entirely: FTL travel in my story is done using a clever trick called hyperfast travel whose physical principles have been explored by Alcubierre and Krasnikov. In order for the reader to understand what characters in the story experience during HF travel, I have to supply a little background. I currently have one of the humans try to explain in lay terms to another one what's going on-and largely fail. I've retained that exchange for now because the mutual incomprehension supplies a short comedy-of-manners, and does allow me to insert a significant plot element. But the better angels of my still-evolving writer's conscience tells me I really need to drastically cut that part, or toss it entirely. Still struggling with that one.

On another point raised by Laer, and which seems to have been taken up with some enthusiasm by others in this thread: There is something to be said for attempting to keep one's tale within the limits of current scientific knowledge insofar as it serves as a spur to the imagination. Most fiction involves smacking up against limits, after all. Superman needs his Kryptonite!

The rule I set myself was "It's OK to dent and scratch the laws of physics, but try not to get caught breaking them red-handed". It's purely a aestheic stance on my part, for this project only. I have no animus towards impossible physics in the service of a good story. I do think however, that if one wants to use impossible physics, that physics needs to have a consistent-impossibly consistent-logic behind it.

Again, that is an asethetic stance, which is binding on no one. That stance, however, may be a good one to adapt when attempting to write "hard" SF without a background in relevant technical disciplines. Let the imagination run riot in service of the story, but let its madness have a method to it.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The hard sci fi I like is often focused only on one underlying speculative element, and then all the implications of it--many of which may be more sociological. So I don't think you need a full science education to take a good speculative idea and build a setting and story around it.

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
The hard sci fi I like is often focused only on one underlying speculative element, and then all the implications of it--many of which may be more sociological. So I don't think you need a full science education to take a good speculative idea and build a setting and story around it.

I think a good illustration of that approach is the fourth season of "Torchwood", "Miracle Day":

1. Take the world as it is today, more-or-less.

2. Introduce into it a single profoundly destabilizing element, and

3. Pitilessly follow the consequences of that disturbance all the way to the end.

Admittedly, the destabilizing element was more like demonic magic than malign technology, and critics seem to agree that "Miracle Day" would have worked better as five episodes rather than ten, but I was struck at how the narrative arc followed the implications of the premise all the way to its logical (absurd) conclusion.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, LC. I've been wanting to try my hand at SF, because I enjoy reading it. It's good to know you don't have to have a science degree or be an expert. I think that's what holds a lot of people back.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'd suggest that writers learn biology before populating their alien worlds. Read some textbooks on evolution, animal and plant physiology, and ecology. Also the basic rules of taxonomy.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'd suggest that writers learn biology before populating their alien worlds. Read some textbooks on evolution, animal and plant physiology, and ecology. Also the basic rules of taxonomy.
2nding. It's a pity that some hard SF writers, not mentioning any names, make sure they dot the 'i's and cross the 't's in getting the physics and engineering right, but then totally flub the biology. Biology may be squishy, but it's just as 'hard'.

(And really, the social sciences may be 'soft', but if you don't have at least some grip on psychology, sociology, economics, etc. your worldbuilding will suffer just as much.)

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Seconding biology! It's my background, but I have an interest in everything else, so it's a bit of a let-down when all the science works except the biology.

I remember one super-hard SF novel hand-waved away a biological immune response, without realising that a person would be dead within days otherwise.

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite SF author, Frank Herbert, was a general interest newspaper reporter for most of his career. He learned just enough about a topic to write a sidebar article, then moved on to the next topic. I think having this wide but not deep knowledge is what let him create such as complete universe in Dune. I can't remember who, but someone once said that experts learn more and more about less and less, until finally they know everything about nothing.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to be a scientist to write hard scifi, but you have to be interested in hard science. That means you read journals, popular science books, etc. Then one day you'll hit some science theory or fact and go, "ooh, that would make a cool story."

Don't try and fake it. If you're not interested in hard science, then technobabble a few explanations for why you have teleporting penguins with the ability to cause spontaneous combustion with their minds. Most readers will accept it as "soft scifi." Just don't come off as a wannabe.

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
(And really, the social sciences may be 'soft', but if you don't have at least some grip on psychology, sociology, economics, etc. your worldbuilding will suffer just as much.)
At the Eastern Psychological Association Annual Conference, the big speaker that kicked off the conference was, in addition to his research, a hard Sci-Fi author. He apparently works for a publisher where you need to justify the science of every story you write, and his specialty is the way long-term space travel affects people mentally.

Nobody is an expert in every form of science, but I think the key is to look at it critically. Go through your rough draft and take notes on anything that you can't immediately explain with science you know. Then use Google to help. I would try to have a representative of each major science that you can meet with at least once per manuscript and bounce questions off of. Odds are, they won't want their field to be misrepresented and will be happy to explain what they're passionate about.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Alright. I've got a lot of basic science and chemistry (through o-chem) under my belt, but nothing complex.

I took your challenge. I exclusively write fantasy, though I enjoy reading SF as long as it's not too mucked down with lengthy scientific explanations.

This is incredibly hard. I put some people on the moon, living in a technologically advanced society, and I've already run into a whole lot of issues that I don't know how to manage. Gravity is the big one. I don't want to have them Neil Armstronging all over the place, so how do they walk in earth gravity? Is it enough to assume that these technologically advanced humans have figured out how to alter their gravity in a fixed point on the moon's surface?

ETA - I did pull up some articles directed at non-experts, but they're complicated.

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score

2nding. It's a pity that some hard SF writers, not mentioning any names, make sure they dot the 'i's and cross the 't's in getting the physics and engineering right, but then totally flub the biology. Biology may be squishy, but it's just as 'hard'.

Seconding (3rding?) all of this. I'd love to read more science fiction with accurate/plausible biology. Especially where knowledge/application of biology knowledge saves the day.

"Hell yeah I'm a botanist! Fear my botany powers!" (Andy Weir)

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're a non-scientist and you try to write hard SF, you stand a good chance of writing stuff that's behind the curve, which makes it the opposite of science fiction. I got a comment on my blog from someone in the biological sciences, who suggested some alien ecologies for a future bobiverse book. I read the post and did a minion-like 'whaaaaaaaaa?' It looks like much more research is warranted before I start the next novel.