"Intended Market" in Query Letters?

cat_named_easter

Registered
Reaction score
This is a recurring dread I have anytime a publisher asks about where your novel might "fit into the market" or what the "intended market" is for a manuscript - like Harper Collins New Zealand ask for with submissions. This freaks me out and makes me feel quite naïve and unworldly. What exactly are they looking for here? Do they want names of other current authors whose readership you might appeal to? I always worry this makes you look unoriginal as if you're implying that you're just like those other writers (or trying to be). Like what's the point in saying "my novel might appeal to people who like Suzanne Collins"? We already have Suzanne Collins. Shouldn't you be unique?
Or do they want to know a sort of demographic you're aiming for? Gender, interests, lifestyle etc.
Any suggestions?

P.s. My novel is sci-fi - character-driven, time-travelly, generally quite depressing.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Well, you have two ways to go here if they are requesting that. Preferably both. What they want to know is who to market it to in a clear and concise fashion.

Firstly, target a market niche. Science Fiction, Fantasy, Mystery, Horror, Romance etc. Something like "Fans of mysteries will like my book because of the unpredictable and unique investigation central to my time travel plot" "Readers of science fiction will like this book because they will get to explore alien worlds and ancient times." That kind of thing to show why it might appeal to readers of wherever your novel sits on shelves.

Secondly, you can target novels that are similar in some aspect. Say you wrote a YA novel about a wizard school, then you might say "Readers of the Harry Potter books will enjoy NOVEL X's MC journey from apprentice to master". Just... please don't use Rowling or Tolkein for comparisons...use something that really shows you know your intended market. "Fans of Dr Who will enjoy the time travel aspect of my novel" might be perfect.