Pizza Rustica

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
An Italian friend of my mother gave me a piece of what she called Pizza Rustica.

It's an Italian tradition from the south of Italy to make and serve this at Easter.

It's also called Pizzachino, or Easter pie.

It's essentially a meat pie, featuring eggs, cheese and preserved meats like salami, inside a pastry crust.

I've never heard of it before, and it's wonderful. I've asked my mom's friend for her recipe, but I found these as well:

Here's a recipe from NYT.

Another recipe with a video.

Has anyone else heard of this?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The dental office where I worked had a large Italian patient base and they always brought in some pizzagaina. Yum

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, pizza in a pie! :banana:Only proves that 1) pie is the best food, because 2) you can put anything in a pie ;)
Looks a bit like a combination between egg&bacon pie and cheese&onion pie. The more, the more, as Pooh would say.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, memories. My Neapolitan grandmother used to make this when I was a kid. Her kitchen was a wondrous place.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
All the Italian bakeries around New Haven make Easter pies like this - ham pie/pizzagaina, also rice pies, ricotta pies, & other special seasonal pies. They're very popular, so you have to order them weeks in advance from the good places!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Never heard of it but it sounds wonderous.

It's wonderful. My mom's friend says that traditionally it would be made on Good Friday, which is still part of Lent, so they would make it but not eat it until Easter, after Mass.

Red Rajah's Quiche on Steroids is a great descriptions. The sample I had was made using prepared store bought pie pastry; she says hers, used specifically for this dish, was more bread like in texture.

I am definitely going to be making this, and it strikes me as a wonderful Easter tradition.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
All the Italian bakeries around New Haven make Easter pies like this - ham pie/pizzagaina, also rice pies, ricotta pies, & other special seasonal pies. They're very popular, so you have to order them weeks in advance from the good places!

I wish I lived someplace that had Italian bakeries; I'm also intrigued by the St. Jospeph's day tradition of Zeppole.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
At the office St Patrick's Day party one of my co-workers brought a box of St Joseph day zeppoles from one of the good bakeries. Wowza! It's a good thing they're seasonal!

(The ordinary zeppole I grew up with, which are a fixture at street fairs, are just little bits of fried dough, which are yummy of course but nothing like the amazing holiday type.)

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When Pizza hut came to our town in the late 1980's they made a Priazzo, it was so so so good!!!!! Then they took it off the menu, but what you describe seems very similar.

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Yes, never had it, but I did see it floating around the internet around easter.