Switching genres - how often?

Slaven

Wetting my feet get
Registered
Reaction score
The thing is that writing Christian books was my first genre. I've found myself in something completely different now - mistery novels. Also I have an aspiration for YA genres. All at the same time :).

How often do you switch genres? I personally find it refreshing but since I'm not a seasoned author I would like to hear your thoughts.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
I experiment all the time. I write flash fiction in a wide variety of genres. Novels, I tend to stick to SFF and inject small doses of other genres as required.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I generally stick to contemporary gay romances and romantic suspense, but I change it up quite a bit just to keep things interesting for myself. As long as I'm writing enough of those to keep my bills paid (10-12 per year), I let myself flit around to other genres whenever the spirit moves me.

If bouncing between genres keeps it fresh for you, I say go for it. Just remember that with publication comes branding -- if your readers expect Christian Young Adult, and your next book is erotic romance, you might struggle to hold onto your fanbase. Which isn't to say you shouldn't write or publish whatever you want -- just be mindful of how you're going to brand them (and yourself). Then maybe you won't end up with 5 pen names like me, or at least have a better plan for how those pen names will be branded than I did.

Slaven

Wetting my feet get
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Lori! Wow that's a whole bunch of pen names. Do you have a manual for your personality? ☺️ Seems tough to handle ☺️

I'm considering a pen name for non-Christian books. But only when I'm really satistfied with works in other genres I'll seriously consider it ☺️

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Thanks Lori! Wow that's a whole bunch of pen names. Do you have a manual for your personality? ☺️ Seems tough to handle ☺️

LOL I'm too lazy for that. All my names share a website, a Twitter handle, etc. Which gets a little interesting when people who read my Christian book find my erotic romances (and vice versa), but it's not too bad. lol

spottedgeckgo

Da Gecko
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spottedgeckgo.com
Lately, I switch every time I sit down at the keyboard. I had a children's story pop out of nowhere a couple weeks ago, this while trying to spread the word about my latest non-fiction title before release. For the rest of the month, I'm returning to my futuristic YA stories that I just got the rights reverted on, and novelizing the short series.