Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Trailer Released

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I had to teach Thursday, is it wrong I stayed up until 1am to binge watch the original trilogy? LOL

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
31 days and counting - tickets are now available! Who's going to the premiere? I am waiting to go with family upon my arrival in Charleston after Christmas (probably the 26th or 27th)... :)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Saw it last night in 3D. My official verdict: good flick.

Several questions answered.
Several more left unanswered.
Some satisfying deaths. Some unsatisfying deaths.
Great bomber scene that felt like an homage to World War 2 bomber crews.
A new love story.
Learned some things about the Force.
I was left wondering how a couple of things happened, like how DJ had time to get caught and make a deal with the First Order. I also wasn't clear about the tracking of the Resistance Fleet. Hus made it sound like there was a device on one of the ships that they were tracking.
Several funny moments with Chewbacca, Luke, and R2.
A poignant tribute to Carrie Fisher at the end.

Definitely worth seeing though.

Last edited:

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Saw it last night in 3D. My official verdict: good flick.

Several questions answered.
Several more left unanswered.
Some satisfying deaths. Some unsatisfying deaths.
Great bomber scene that felt like an homage to World War 2 bomber crews.
A new love story.
Learned some things about the Force.
I was left wondering how a couple of things happened, like how DJ had time to get caught and make a deal with the First Order. I also wasn't clear about the tracking of the Resistance Fleet. Hus made it sound like there was a device on one of the ships that they were tracking.
Several funny moments with Chewbacca, Luke, and R2.
A poignant tribute to Carrie Fisher at the end.

Definitely worth seeing though.

Was the tribute after the credits? The credits started rolling and my friend and I left. CRUUDDDD

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Not gonna read those spoiler-notes...nope, not gunna do it.
And just thinking about the Carrie Fisher homage got me choked up..
We’re going as a group on the 26th...

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I loved it. Clearly the best of the post-original trilogy films, and probably better than Return of the Jedi.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I did enjoy it. Some scenes I really liked. That one Leia scene was great.
Some unexpected twists and turns.

I had one writerly problem with it: It felt like each scene was well done, but that they didn't fit together as well as they should have.

And I had one fannish problem: It felt like they were crossing off the aspects of the original trilogy rather than going forward from them. Luke and Chewie have one interaction together, as do Luke and Leia. So many years have passed and so much has happened that they needed more than that.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
You may have noticed that the audience rating on sites like Rotten Tomatoes is weirdly low compared to critic scores and CinemaScore (which is the reaction of audiences leaving the theatre first weekend). Apparently the "deplorables" have decided that The Last Jedi is a bastion of progressivism, and is rattling over the internet giving 1/10 ratings and writing rants that "this is the worst movie EVAR!"

I found a number of commentators on twitter who appear to be bots attacking the film. They have names like "Deborah12234442," they have no personal tweets, and very few follows/followers. Many include #MAGA or #Foxnews as their follows. It wasn't until one mentioned the magic code "full of SJWs" that I understood why Putin hates Star Wars.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Luke and Chewie have one interaction together, as do Luke and Leia. So many years have passed and so much has happened that they needed more than that.

Remember when Han died in TFA and Leia felt it, as far away as she was? Well, why didn't Luke sense the death of his brother-in-law, or the anguish of his sister? Why did he have to ask where Han was after Chewie kicked the door in?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember when Han died in TFA and Leia felt it, as far away as she was? Well, why didn't Luke sense the death of his brother-in-law, or the anguish of his sister? Why did he have to ask where Han was after Chewie kicked the door in?

You may recall that Luke had cut himself off from the Force...

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
You may have noticed that the audience rating on sites like Rotten Tomatoes is weirdly low compared to critic scores and CinemaScore (which is the reaction of audiences leaving the theatre first weekend). Apparently the "deplorables" have decided that The Last Jedi is a bastion of progressivism, and is rattling over the internet giving 1/10 ratings and writing rants that "this is the worst movie EVAR!"

I found a number of commentators on twitter who appear to be bots attacking the film. They have names like "Deborah12234442," they have no personal tweets, and very few follows/followers. Many include #MAGA or #Foxnews as their follows. It wasn't until one mentioned the magic code "full of SJWs" that I understood why Putin hates Star Wars.

I think the porgs have a better chance against Chewbacca than the trolls have against Star Wars.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I think the porgs have a better chance against Chewbacca than the trolls have against Star Wars.

Lol! I want a gif of "porg watching best friend be eaten by a Wookiee."

I agree as to their chances, although the movement seems to have inspired a certain number of newswriters to start calling Jedi "divisive," apparently thinking it's a genuine clash of opinions about the quality of the movie.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score

We live in the weirdest timeline. A lot of the negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are from users with only one review to their names. Oddly well written in the style of much plaintive nerd rage, which makes me think they're being written by actual people, but I wouldn't put it past the troll farms to unleash the bots.

i just question, in this case ... why? I don't know anyone who pays attention to the user reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. The aggregate critic score is the only one that matters. All that effort isn't going to stop this movie making billions of dollars.

villain_fan

Registered
Reaction score
I agree as to their chances, although the movement seems to have inspired a certain number of newswriters to start calling Jedi "divisive," apparently thinking it's a genuine clash of opinions about the quality of the movie.

There is a genuine clash of opinions about the quality of the movie. At least, with die-hard Stat Wars fans (and those are the people most likely to be most vocal about their opinions and go out their way to review/rate the movie). General audience members will largely go away happy and Disney have accomplished their main goal of appealing to a new generation of fans with their new generation of characters, but a quick visit to any of the fan forums or watch of some YouTube reviews will show that this genuinely is a (if not the most) polarising Star Wars movie. I'm not saying all the RT ratings are definitely legit or that there aren't trolls out there, but it would be wrong to say there isn't actual divide over this movie with fans or that there aren't rationale reasons for thinking it's a bad Star Wars movie.

Last edited:

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a die-hard Star Wars fan - and I find myself liking it more the more I think about it. I liked the playing with expectations. I liked the plot twists. (Why does everyone have to be the child of someone important?)
Who really is the villain?

I'm considering a re-watch.

I'd definitely getting a porg.

Last edited:

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a die-hard Star Wars fan - and I find myself liking it more the more I think about it. I liked the playing with expectations. I liked the plot twists. (Why does everyone have to be the child of someone important?)
Who really is the villain?

I'm considering a re-watch.

I'd definitely getting a porg.

I agree, I like that not everyone is related. The gripe I have is with Abrams. He set up all these things and when he handed it over to Johnson he gave him a blank slate to do whatever he wants. I'm cool with a lot of the decisions made but when something like that happens it means he doesn't have a solid plan on the ending, something I feel you should have some idea about when making a trilogy.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
It's always acceptable to not like a movie. Some people can't bear RoTJ because of the ewoks. But when people start brigading review sites to give a movie 1/10 ratings when it's at least *adequate* is either overwrought emotionalism (in a fandom? Never!) or something more sinister.

If you tell me reasons why you didn't like it, I'll accept those, if you also agree to at least consider the strengths I found in it. If you rant about how it's the "worst movie EVAR!" and then let slip something about "Star Wars was ruined by SJWs" I know where you stand.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Watched it again last night, and a few things clicked into place.

Spoilers(ish) When Snoke(?) or Kylo(?) uttered at the beginning of TFA "There's been an awakening," everyone assumed it was Rey. But something happened to Finn too. I think the Awakening was akin to the rending of the temple curtain that was supposed to have occurred at the moment Christ died. I think the "Jedi curtain" was torn so that someone no longer requires a Jedi Master to train them, but does need a teacher to guide them, much as people no longer need prophets and priests to be able to hear God speak.

Just MHO, and I haven't read enough background material to understand exactly how Force training worked. But it was always my understanding that Force sensitivity was genetic. Then again, I learned yesterday in some article that Anakin didn't have parents, that he was created by one of the Sith lords.

BTW< the spoiler color I use is f2f2f2.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I a a die hard Star Wars fan, too, since the very first movie. Listened to the LP of the soundtrack until it wore out. Still have my original action figures.

I enjoyed this movie very much. Not saying it hasn’t got flaws, but still quite enjoyable.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I saw it again and some of the things that bothered me the first time were less bothersome the second time around. I like the story there, and most the ideas are great, but the execution just missed (for me) by a hair. The humor didn't quite hit and there were moments that should have made more sense the first time 'round . . . All in all, it was good, but just barely. And I liked The Force Awakens much more (rewatched it this week). The Last Jedi didn't follow through on the things that TFA set up--it felt like they went out of way to subvert things from TFA, in fact, which was offputting in itself and led to some choices that I felt didn't serve the story (e.g. Luke tossing the light saber--that will never be okay with me). I'm really interested to see what happens now that J.J. is back for Episode IX.