How do I submit under a pen name in Submittable?

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm preparing to submit poetry through Submittable. I work in a sensitive profession, and I'm living in the town where I grew up. For both reasons, I'd strongly prefer to use a pen name.

1. Where should I communicate my legal name? Best guess = in the part of the form for my name (duh). Drawback = a Google search suggests some editors would automatically pull my name from the form, outing me. And, if it's even possible to make the change later, editors get annoyed.

2. Where should I communicate my pen name? Best guess = in the text box for a cover letter. Drawback = See above. So, I'm wondering about putting the pen name on the form, but someone said when he put his pen name on the form, he was issued a check to the pen name and couldn't get it fixed, to cash it.

3. If you advise against a pen name, I'd also appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks so much, guys.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A pseudonym is no guarantee of anonymity. There are all sorts of ways your true identity can be discovered: it's happened to so many people. So if it's absolutely essential to you that your employer doesn't know you've written these works, don't submit them anywhere.

If you do decide to submit them, it's usual to give your name as, "Anna Iguana, writing as Bob Gecko". How this would work on a submission form I don't know, as they're all different. But yes, if you only give them your pseudonym you are going to run into trouble when it comes to payment.

I see no problems in using a pseudonym: lots of writers do it. But as I said upstream, don't expect it to be a fail-safe when it comes to keeping your real name out of the proceedings.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Wait till you retire. You can spend the intervening years publishing humorous verses about cats or whatever else catches your fancy. (T.S. Eliot wrote some great cat stuff.) Ripping your heart out of your chest and tossing it at the feet of the slack jawed, shambling public is not always the wisest beginning. Eliot was a banker. He was careful not to tell too much. Emily Dickinson tossed her best verse in a trunk. Edward Taylor waited 200 years to be published. I'm not being flip. I live in a small, stifling place and had a sensitive job also. Wordsmithing is great work if you can get it to pay the bills, but bread and butter are also important.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
OH, Story, and Shakey, these are three great answers. Thank you. I'll try contacting publishers. I'm in a small community, too, and I know there's no fail-safe way to protect privacy and publish. A few years ago, I went through a world-destroying experience which left me less afraid of publicity than silence. I don't say that lightly, and I'm not young. I will think hard about your suggestions.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I would suggest to avoid spending money on a submission service and that you go ahead and indie publish under a pen name with a gmail account using that name.

Poets used to be the rock stars of literature, now they are largely ignored by the writing community and publishers. Not fair, and it means a limited submission pool for one's works. You can certainly do direct submissions to poetry venues, with "Jane Smith writing as John Jones" so the editor knows you want anonymity. This is respected by the publishers, but since it is a central issue for you, then indie publishing means an extra layer of safety.

Should you sub directly, then use the resources of POET'S MARKET 2017. Your library should have a copy in the reference section or in the stacks in the 808 section with other books on writing.

There are a LOT of poetry scammers out there, who are too happy to take advantage of writers. Always google the name + "scam" or "ripoff" to check them out. Never be in a hurry and NEVER give them any money. One of my friends was so proud when he won a poetry contest. He was told it had a special spot in a winner's book, which would cost him only 89.00 + S&H to get a copy. There were 800 other poems in the book. It probably cost the "publisher" about 3.00 to produce. I bit my tongue and let him have his illusion, he was too fragile to know he'd been conned.

As for self-pubbing, it's easy and free, and you can DIY via venues like Kindle, Createspace, Kobo, Smashwords, Nook, etc. DO NOT sign on to Kindle Unlimited. I think that's the name. The publisher has a pool of money and writers who sign on get a portion of that pool rather than royalties from sales. I fell for it. They had 3 million bucks to share around to the writers. That is a problem when you have 2 million writers all wanting a share of 3 mil. In the meantime Kindle keeps money from the sales.

Do your research on each of them. It's Adulting and not fun, but you retain full control of your works and identity when you do it right.

You can find / design your own cover and promote the book on social sites using your pen name.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Gilloughy, thank you for the suggestions. Submittable is sort of a submission service, I guess, but I'm not sure it's what you're thinking of. It's a software platform that many literary journals and mags (for example, Kenyon Review, New Ohio Review, Prairie Schooner, The Literary Review, Poetry Magazine, New England Review) now use as their main method for receiving submissions. Some journals charge a submission fee, often $3, pegged to be about the same cost as snail-mailing + SASE. Other journals charge no fees. I'm working from a ranked list of the journals and will submit in rounds. I'm not ready to self-publish, because I also write fiction. My first novel is ready for another round of major revision (I'm letting it rest), and it would be wonderful to have pub credit(s) when I query. (I have nonfiction credits, but my impression is, they're irrelevant to querying a novel.) So, I'm gonna try querying. I know the odds of success are near zero, especially because mine is a first novel, but I need to practice letting go of work and sharing it, it's one way that I'll grow. If a publisher accepted my work, I'd also be delighted because not a single bone in my body desires to market or self-promote.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Gilloughy, thank you for the suggestions. Submittable is sort of a submission service, I guess, but I'm not sure it's what you're thinking of. It's a software platform that many literary journals and mags (for example, Ploughshares, Paris Review, Kenyon Review) now use as their sole method for receiving submissions.

Where did you read that?

The Paris Review's submission guidelines
tell you to post your submissions directly to them.

Ploughshares' submission guidelines are here. Again, no mention of Submittable.

The Kenyon Review does use Submittable.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for catching that, OH. I only meant to be offering examples of "literary journals and mags" in the parenthetical, to indicate that I had some sense of the difference between reputable publishers and pay to play, but I see that the phrasing read as examples of "literary mags and journals that use Submittable." I've removed the examples you flagged and added a few others that, to my knowledge, are reputable and use Submittable.

Last edited:

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted some things to a few places via submittable. I put my pen name on the form. As I'm writing prose, not poetry, the MS has my actual name and pen name per guidelines. If something gets accepted, I'll be sure to sign contract under my real name and make sure to remind them to make the check out to my real name.

I think I've heard of some writers registering their pen name and signing Real name dba Pen Name?

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, MadAlice. It's reassuring to hear how you handled this. I looked into registering a pen name as a dba, and it's an option I may end up using. My real name is in my cover letter, too (and on the poetry pages, if so instructed).

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There are lots of authors who have set up companies to write under. It's for tax reasons, though, and not to give them anonymity. Because all you have to do to discover who they are is look up the directors of the company and you'll find out their real name (assuming they've not signed the business over to someone else, which is a dangerous thing to do).

The cost of running such a business is substantial compared to the return you're likely to get from a collection of poetry. And if you forget about it in years to come and it becomes dormant, or is closed, you'll have lost the rights to all those works with no hope of getting them returned to you.

Slaven

Wetting my feet get
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to remain anonymus even by using a pen name if someone is eager to find out who you really are. The eager part follows your book success - if there's so much talk about your book, anonymity fails.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Slaven and OH.

Last edited: