Fee for a pro assessment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hublocker

Banned
Reaction score
What can I expect to pay for a professional reading and assessment of my novel?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use a paid beta reader who charges about $1 per 1000 words. So around $80 for a 'normal' 80k novel. She won't pull it apart at the level of an editor (which is much more expensive), but she will comment on a chapter by chapter basis, describe her reaction to characters, level of tension, etc.

I think I've seen another paid beta who charges twice that, over on kboards. Probably the same level of feedback, though. And of course, you can ask specific questions.

Hublocker

Banned
Reaction score
Located one in BC here. $50 an hour.

That would mean if she read 15 pages an hour that it would cost me $1650 to get a pro evaluation.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The issue here is that most professional editors don't do evaluations. They edit books which are signed for publication. The ones who do this work are often not as skilled as you'd want them to be.

There are some good editorial agencies out there: Cornerstones, The Literary Consultancy, The Writers' Workshop (all in the UK). And others. They don't necessarily evaluate your work but they do show you where you're going wrong. Expect to pay a few hundred quid for a report on a full novel.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
This one does your first 10 pages for 10 bucks, looking at it like an acquisitions editor and she does not pull punches. She has limits on what she reads, though, so read her "Do Not Send" list. http://www.vampwriter.com/CRITIQUE.htm

I recommend you get the free feedback offered here on AW, either in Share your Work or swapping manuscripts with volunteer beta readers who write in the same genre.

:)

Last edited:

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I paid $500 to a guy I met through another writing website to get an overview of the novel as a whole. No micro-editing included. I think your "assessment" is probably similar to what I got.

Just keep your expectations realistic. This guy did a decent breakdown of the novel, though I wouldn't work with him again because of his personality. I did make some changes based on his comments to the structure as a whole, however, and sold the novel several months later (a deal that ultimately fell apart when the publisher closed doors).

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I see no point in paying someone for an assessment. Particularly when the fee reaches the vicinity of 100.00 or more.

Any assessment reflects their personal opinion, which is nice, but doesn't really matter in the greater scheme of things. I'm not convinced it has more value than anyone else's personal opinion.

Legitimate agents do not charge. Their assessment matters; a yes means they accept your ms. and will do their very best to find it a home, with a high degree of success.

Acquisition editors do not charge; their assessment matters because it leads directly to trade publication.

If you're self-publishing, it makes sense to use volunteer beta readers, and professional copy/line editors and proofers.

But even there, I question the value of a paid assessment. I suspect the money would be better spent on cover design, formatting, and editing.

Beta readers generally do not charge, particularly if you're willing to read and comment in return.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If you're self-publishing, it makes sense to use volunteer beta readers, and professional copy/line editors and proofers.

But even there, I question the value of a paid assessment. I suspect the money would be better spent on cover design, formatting, and editing.

Beta readers generally do not charge, particularly if you're willing to read and comment in return.

Personally, I started to use paid betas because I figured I'm already really busy (with a 9-5 job, a side business, girlfriend, writing schedule and life in general), and it was worth it to me to not have to read something in return. Time is money, I guess! Paid betas (in my experience) tend to stick to deadlines better, too. A volunteer beta is essentially doing you a favour, and its hard to enforce deadlines on people who are doing you favours. Not at all begrudging volunteers for having their own lives get in the way. I'd just rather part with a small amount of cash and get something back on a deadline so I can stick to my own schedule.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to go over $100 for it. And I'll concede that if cash is tight, doing swaps with volunteers can work.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bear in mind that while some beta readers expect or demand a beta read in exchange, many do not. I've done beta reads, and received beta reads, but not once have the two overlapped.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My two coppers: First, I wouldn't get too hung up on the word "pro." There are many "pro" writers right here on this board who freely offer critiques and/or beta reads. There are many writers with less experience and skill who hang out a shingle and charge for their "pro" services. Sometimes people have an untrue idea that if they pay someone who has put out a shingle, they're getting something better. Unlike many careers, there is no one writing credential that differentiates the pros from the amateurs.

Also, if this manuscript has had no eyes on it other than the writer's, I'd just about guarantee that it needs work. There's no need to pay anyone to say that because any of us who have read lots of unpublished work will say it for free. I have read hundreds of unpublished works whose only eyes on them have been the writer's and I do not recall many, if any, that did not need work.

Finally, the greatest value of doing those critiques and beta reads in exchange is not getting the same back. Imo, it is the very best way to increase your own writing skills quickly. We soon notice the same common few dozen problems in other manuscripts - and then we notice the same ones in our own writing, when we didn't notice them before. For anyone who wants to write more than one book, that is extremely valuable and you don't get it when you just pay someone to go over your work instead.

Finally, for those who hope to avoid public exposure by paying for a private assessment etc., that is not such a great idea if you hope to have your work published. Getting used to critiques behind a password and by other writers is a far kinder introduction to reviews.

I'd urge you to re-consider the question. Either way, good luck. :)

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
My two coppers: First, I wouldn't get too hung up on the word "pro." There are many "pro" writers right here on this board who freely offer critiques and/or beta reads. There are many writers with less experience and skill who hang out a shingle and charge for their "pro" services. Sometimes people have an untrue idea that if they pay someone who has put out a shingle, they're getting something better. Unlike many careers, there is no one writing credential that differentiates the pros from the amateurs.

Gosh, yes. I've seen many "pro" editors who I wouldn't pay to edit my shopping lists, let alone a book I'd written. Be careful.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been edited by one of those. I came very close to withdrawing the manuscript. Instead, I demanded an editor who knew what they were doing, and got one.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like the value of editors is often badly misunderstood by writers.

Value badly misunderstood? I don't follow what you mean here. Can you explain?

Last edited:

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
The one I've used twice is a former acquisitions editor for a big five and then left to explore Europe. She had recommendations and was mentioned in the acknowledgements of a couple of novels, so she's got cred.

She was also pricey. A second read for 80K was $1,000. A full line-edit for 142K was 4500.

She made my books better, but they still aren't published.

I say this because I think you have to be aware of what you're doing and why. If you want someone to tell you your book is good so you have the confidence to start querying, then you can find that very cheaply. And I think everyone should start that way after you've done what you consider your final rounds of edits yourself. But if the book struggles and you can't figure out why, then I think paying for a professional makes sense.

But if you do, make sure they know what they are talking about. Ask for some references or things that have gotten published with their help. I think if you're going to commit to the money, then spend more to get real help rather than spend a little to just get another take on your book.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
It's a tangential thought in relation to some of the editorial recommendations. On a lot of writer/author fb groups, I frequently see people expressing opinions along the lines of paid editors not having any point, they can do it all themselves, etc. Which is certainly true in some cases, but I think editors are probably always of benefit, even if optional.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
It's a tangential thought in relation to some of the editorial recommendations. On a lot of writer/author fb groups, I frequently see people expressing opinions along the lines of paid editors not having any point, they can do it all themselves, etc. Which is certainly true in some cases, but I think editors are probably always of benefit, even if optional.

I think a lot of people don't get that there are editors that do different things. For line editing - grammar, punctuation, that sort of thing - I'd be much more likely to take that on myself, although it never hurts to have another set of eyes on words you've been over again and again. (I've had line editors find continuity errors, so I'm deeply grateful I've had access to their skills.)

Structural editing (and I may be using the wrong term here) is a whole different thing, and if I were self-publishing I'd probably pay for a once-over by a good structural editor. My editor has always had suggestions that have tightened up my work considerably - not large changes (apart from a few times when he said "Is this chapter necessary?"), but structural changes that have made the whole thing read so much better. Often he's addressing problems I've seen, but am too close to be able to efficiently solve on my own.

My favorite part of publishing, hands down, no contest, has been working with a professional editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.